Barcode Scanner on Android

I have a client with inventory needs. I am thinking about attaching some Android tablets to their forklifts to do barcode scanning.

I was looking at the archos 7 (because admittedly I was kicking around win7 tablets) and I saw that it has a USB port. I am thinking about building the app as a webpage and hooking a barcode scanner to the USB port but I can't find any information on compatibility.

Does anyone have any information on what if any usb barcode scanners will work with an archos 7 running android?
      0 Not allowed!

Here's something I found: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=480899

He comments that a barcode scanner worked with this Android USB driver.
    WINKY.NET
    Phone: 213-291-0558 Email: sales@winky.net
    VMware Partner, Public and Private Cloud, Los Angeles One Wilshire Colo
    SaaS Hosting, cPanel Servers, Resellers Welcome, 100% SLA
      0 Not allowed!

Hmm, I ordered the windows version of the tablet to get started. I will pickup an android version shortly and give it a shot.
      0 Not allowed!

I hope it turns out okay. I'll try to order one as well since I read great reviews about it. Can you update me about its performance?
      0 Not allowed!

will do, I ordered it from amazon and expect to get it by friday so I will have the weekend to mess around with it.
      0 Not allowed!

Got the Archos 9 today

The form factor is pretty nice, it is very heavy though.
    The touchscreen kind of sucks if you are used to a modern smart phone.
    Win7 really needs a tablet app that makes it easier to use scroll bars on small devices.

Webpages work well in IE
    Windows activation / updates run really slow although menus and standard windows functions seem to be acceptable.

I haven't tried a barcode scanner yet but I will give that a shot soon.
      0 Not allowed!

are iPads out of the question? here's a barcode scanner for iPad: http://www.iformbuilder.com/video/ipad-barcode-scanner/
    WINKY.NET
    Phone: 213-291-0558 Email: sales@winky.net
    VMware Partner, Public and Private Cloud, Los Angeles One Wilshire Colo
    SaaS Hosting, cPanel Servers, Resellers Welcome, 100% SLA
      0 Not allowed!

I looked into the ipad first but the problem is that when you are connected to a bluetooth device you cannot use the onscreen keyboard at all. which doesn't work for our application.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks dave for the update. I'll definitely think about buying one. Yeah, I seriously doubt iPad will work on this one.
      0 Not allowed!

Honestly after a few days with it... It kind of sucks.

I was a big advocate for Windows 7 on tablets but after seeing the implementation with a touch screen I have to say it's very cumbersome. Maybe some UI modifications would help and I really like the fact that I can run whatever I want on it but this is not an easy tablet to use.

I think I am going to order an android version and see if I can find a barcode scanner that works with it.
      0 Not allowed!

I see. Your opinion is really a big help. Thanks for the tip.
      0 Not allowed!

what version are you going to get?
      0 Not allowed!

I got the archos 70 with android to test but it doesn't work with a standard usb barcode scanner. I have yet to find a scanner that works with this unit which bums me out because it is a lot better tablet than the windows version.
      0 Not allowed!

RE: Barcode Scanner on Android

Dave - where are you at with this project? Did you ever find a scanner that was usable for your application? I have just kicked off a skunk works project to replace our RF Scanners with Android 7" tablets and laser bar-code scanners. We have two different configurations in testing at the moment and wondering how things were going with your testing?
      0 Not allowed!

We are using Windows tablets right now but they are a bit flaky and heavy on battery / processing / maintenance.

I would be interesting in hearing about the hardware that you are using.
      0 Not allowed!

As mentioned, I am running two different configurations for our "skunk works project".

7" Samsung Galaxy Tab (Android 3.2.2) $300.00
    Serialio Scanfob 2002 Infrared Scanner $300.00

-> Battery life on the tablet is right at 9.0hrs with the bluetooth (for the scanner) and wi-fi radios on. Our WMS is accessible through a standard web-browser. Users are encouraged to use the Skype app for contacting me or each other, take pictures of questionable items or problems. Also have a standard gmail account that each tablet logs into so we can send out blanket emails. Mounted to our cherry pickers and packing benches with heavy duty velcro. Been in service for 1 month now. Cons = scanners are very light sensitive and require some getting used to for the optimal angle for bar code capture.

7" Motorola ET-1 Tablet (Android 2.3.4) $1100.00
    Infrared Bar-Code Reader (Corded/USB) $115.00

This unit has only been in test for a week now. Battery life is excellent lasting in excess of 10 hours. IT loves the platform because of the administrative functions that can be handled. Running skype app and email on this tablet as well. Mounted to Cherry Pickers with Velcro (2" all weather industrial)

So far we have had no problems with any of these units. Looked at the android tablets because of cost - an RF gun runs us about $1800 and I can get an android tablet for under $400.00. Ipads were our for a variety of reasons. Original test unit was my personal Blackberry Playbook which worked just fine and has better battery life than the playbook but lacks functional apps like skype. We have also connected our system to an Apple Iphone and my personal Droid Bionic and those work fine as well.
      0 Not allowed!

With the Serialio Scanfob 2002 Infrared Scanner you can scan directly in the stock web browser?

I am thinking: Samsung Galaxy 4.0 Android MP3 Player - $199 | http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...2794880&sr=8-1

How is the battery life / charging the Scanfob?
      0 Not allowed!

I called Serial IO and ordered a Scanfob. I think I want to try that in conjunction with the Samsung to see how much mileage I get out of it.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes - can scan directly into the web browser with the scanfob once it is paired with the unit. Battery life is great - we only get the low battery warning on the scanfob after 9hrs of lots of scanning. I make sure they are hooked up to a computer when we leave at night and they are fully charged once we return in the morning. (They do offer a 10 bay charging station as an accessory which we will purchase if we move forward with this type of hardware).

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the scanfob.

We also looked at the Galaxy 4.0MP3 but found the screen to be too small for our application. For our stock pickers, fork lifts and turret trucks the 7.0" screen is perfect. For our packing areas we are looking into 10.1" tablets to replace the PC's we have deployed.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave - Just199 View Post
    With the Serialio Scanfob 2002 Infrared Scanner you can scan directly in the stock web browser?

I am thinking: Samsung Galaxy 4.0 Android MP3 Player - $199 | http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...2794880&sr=8-1

How is the battery life / charging the Scanfob?
    I think iphones can do what you are looking for ... with Bluetooth scanners.
      0 Not allowed!