Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hull, UK.
    Posts
    911

    Which Web Server?

    I'm currently running an IP.Board forum with cPanel and CentOS, at the moment we use Apache. But I'm looking to use something else, Nginx, Lighttpd, LiteSpeed (Free version).

    Does anyone have more experience with each of these to point me in the right direction, I know Nginx is a pain to set up with cPanel.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    528
    If you're going to run cPanel, and want everything to actually work together you're probably still best off either aggressively tuning Apache, or trying out LiteSpeed (does their free edition even match a tuned Apache setup?). I doubt nginx will work properly with cPanel in any near future, and I don't really use Lighty anymore to comment.
    What did you expect was going to happen?
    6sync is where I've made my home ): // @tenkay

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hull, UK.
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by dyna! View Post
    If you're going to run cPanel, and want everything to actually work together you're probably still best off either aggressively tuning Apache, or trying out LiteSpeed (does their free edition even match a tuned Apache setup?). I doubt nginx will work properly with cPanel in any near future, and I don't really use Lighty anymore to comment.
    Umm, not sure if LiteSpeeds free version is even good. Honestly never played around with it. Nginx is decent, just a pain because it doesn't work well with cPanel without a lot of messing around. Thanks anyway for the reply

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    1,323
    We used to use Lighttpd but eventually gave up on it, there were too many memory leaks, releases were too slow, etc.

    Now we are in the process of moving everything over to Nginx (from Apache) on a new VPS with Linode - however we setup everything manually so do not use any sort of control panel.
    As you said, it sounds like Nginx is a pain to setup with cPanel - shame, Nginx is a very good webserver in my opinion.

    That pretty much leaves Lightspeed (free edition), however I have never used it so can not comment on the performance there.

    Is the website you are referring to on your VPS with VPSLatch? If so, why not just ask them to optimize your Apache settings?
    Last edited by BTCentral - Ben; 10-01-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

  5. #5
    Hi Karl, to avoid headaches I would look at tuning the heck out of Apache or consider looking for someone to do that for me! I am sure that there are any number of Forum users here that would help or guide you through the tuning process.

    v

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by BTCentral - Ben View Post
    Is the website you are referring to on your VPS with VPSLatch? If so, why not just ask them to optimize your Apache settings?
    Hey Karl,

    If you're referring to the site hosted with us, Ben is correct, since we offer a fully managed service, you're free to submit a ticket and ask our support team to optimize Apache and MySQL to consume less of a resource footprint.

    There is actually an addon that makes intergrating Nginx with cPanel pretty easy: http://cpnginx.com/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hull, UK.
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by VL-Adam View Post
    Hey Karl,

    If you're referring to the site hosted with us, Ben is correct, since we offer a fully managed service, you're free to submit a ticket and ask our support team to optimize Apache and MySQL to consume less of a resource footprint.

    There is actually an addon that makes intergrating Nginx with cPanel pretty easy: http://cpnginx.com/
    Hi,

    Yes I am referring to that, I was just looking for more information about possibilities before submitting a ticket, thus saving you time

    Regards,
    Karl

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    3,201
    There is a script that someone posted on the CPanel forums that will automatically install Nginx that works really well.

    http://www.nginxcp.com/

    http://forums.cpanel.net/f189/nginx-...er-148109.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hull, UK.
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    There is a script that someone posted on the CPanel forums that will automatically install Nginx that works really well.

    http://www.nginxcp.com/

    http://forums.cpanel.net/f189/nginx-...er-148109.html
    Oh that's pretty sweet, thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Hi,

    Yes I am referring to that, I was just looking for more information about possibilities before submitting a ticket, thus saving you time

    Regards,
    Karl
    Don't hesitate, that's why we have hired support technicians to take care of the support tickets. Support is available 24/7/365. We're more than happy to help at anytime!

    Thanks,
    Adam

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    3,201
    Forgot to mention you might also want to check out Cherokee, I really like this one.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    198
    I am not sure if that makes sense to have cPanel for just one site. I am not a CentOS user, but i usually just put clean Debian installation and then lighttpd and php etc if needed. I never used IP board, but i am pretty sure you could find info how to set it up with lighttpd. Never had any problems with it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by thetiamat View Post
    apache is the best one. forget the rest
    If that's all you have to contribute to this discussion then next time just skip it. Apache is great for many scenarios but it's been clearly shown to have its weaknesses. Your statement is silly.

Similar Threads

  1. How do I turn an unmanaged Windows web server 2008 into a web hosting server?
    By Kadence in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 01:36 AM
  2. Windows web server+MS SQL server+Smart Mail in ONE SERVER!
    By newWinHoster in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 01:10 PM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 01:07 AM
  4. Laptop web server vs desktop web server
    By International Player in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:00 PM
  5. How to set-up a web hosting with my web server at home
    By dmontajes in forum Running a Web Hosting Business
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •