Question Hosting type vs amount of traffic: from shared, to semi-dedicated, to (V)PS

Greetings,

Since a while ago I'm having a lot of 'Database error in vBulletin', which now and then even crashes my site.
    I have to reboot my MySQLGrid container to get my site up-and-running again.

At the moment these are my current stats:
    -----------------------------------------
    1. vBulletin powered forum, with vBadvanced portal (voetbalportaal.com)
    2. 10.000+ absolute unique visitors a month (according go my Google Analystics) and growing slowly (something of 1.000 unique vistors a day)
    3. 200.000+ pageviews a month (which makes something of 13.000 + pageviews a day)
    4. On an average day, I have max 20 users logged in, max 50 guest (as far as I can tell from vBulletin stats) at once. Probably less.

My host is the infamous MediaTemple Grid-Service (mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/) and I have
    a MySQL GridContainer, 128 MB memory (mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/features/containers.php#mysql), which I'm paying extra for already!

The problem:
    -----------
    I keep getting (memory related) Database Errors from vBulletin like 'Out of memory (Needed 230216 bytes)' and stuff like that.

The MediaTemple solution:
    ------------------------
    In short: Buy more. Upgrade. Pay even more!

What I’ve already tried:
    -----------------------
    1. I did upgrade….until some extend: I’ve upgraded and have now a MySQL GridContainer instead of a shared pool…and I had even upgraded the memory of my MySQL Gridcontainer temporary to 256 MB, without any luck.
    2. I had disabled all plugins and restored to the default template and with everything turned off.
    3. I have adjusted my MySQL Configuration by increasing max_user_connections to 100 and max_connections to 100

The question:
    -------------
    Is it really possible that the above stated amount of (humble) traffic is getting too much for my current hosting specs?
    Do I really need (dedicated) VPS? Do I need more...bigger servers?
    Already? With these traffic stats?

Or do I need a better webhost? Or other type of hosting aka non-cloud?

Thanks in advance for considering any hint or help.

Kind Regards,
    Tschai.

PS: Today I saw this error on DesignYouTrust, a site I visit regularly...which had issues too...maybe comparable up to a certain point?

So, we discovered, that there are less (4Gb) of server memory for that
    traffic amount (more than 400 database connections at the same time, 25,000+ uniques/day).
    PHP-Speedy, Hyper Cache, WP DB Optimize, Zlib, etc - nothing helps.
    New Wordpress version needs more and more resources.
    We need some time to find a way to add extra server memory....
    I'm sorry for delay. Stay tuned.