hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Green Hosting : Am I really green?

Forum Jump

Am I really green?

Reply Post New Thread In Green Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Am I really green?

Ok my office and my home are both off grid completely, powered by solar and wind with a backup generatror -- so heres the question. Am I green? Or is the guy buying carbon credits green? Or my neighbor with no generator? I was looking at the posts here, and wondering just what being green means! Sorry about the typing cat on keyboard! Or does my 22 acres of trees count to offset my servers? Is there any place/way to figure this out? Off grid means batteries and home made diesel so am I REALLY green? Whole durn green things got me confused! And not off grid for green BTW for self sufficiency (and the Electric company wants over 10k to bring me electric).

White Hot Arcade
Stop and play some fun arcade games for when its time to relax!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

ya - if you call yourself green - then you are - is there really standards?

Please Visit us @ www.rebelnetworks.com

Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Web Hosting Guru

i would say you are green if you are using alternative energy sources.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM

There are nothing on this technology world that is absolutely green. SO answer will be. NO YOU ARE NOT GREEN.

We go should back in the time of dinosaurs if we want to be green

Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Corporate Member

Your green

# www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/

Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Web Hosting Master

If your green you may want to see a doctor. But your business seems green.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Web Hosting Master

Being green can have as much to do with effecient usage of power as it does to where the power comes from. Personally, I would never use solar or wind to power servers, because servers need reliable power. I tend to focus more on reducing current. Things like using the latest CPUs instead of old power ungry ones can make a big dent in how much current is used. Additionally, using virtualization properly can really help reduce the current draw. These are ways to be green regardless of where the power comes from.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:33 PM

Cloud hosting is green. I mean, just look up into the sky! That's where your server sits!

Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM
WHT Content Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq3385 View Post
Cloud hosting is green. I mean, just look up into the sky! That's where your server sits!
Sky is blue ... and the clouds are white or gray... how does this work?

But to address the original message, I'd say being proactive about the environment, such as solar and wind power is definitely considered green. Obviously, like anything, there are extremists who feel it's 100% or nothing, or the people that will blend their everyday lifestyles to fit the needs to better the quality of people around them. Lastly, there are the ones who will go buy a V12 S600 Gas guzzler tomorrow and not car. Everyone has their own agenda!

My vote, you're moderate green, but you're green!

www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

Old 10-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Everyone really has their own standards and guidelines of what "green" really is. For example, I resell hosting using my VPS reseller and what I do is for every client when they buy hosting, I plant a small plant and keep it in a portion of my shop. I take a picture with their name next to their plant and send it to the client so it makes them feel good that when they bought hosting they helped plant another "tree".

Hosted by: Myhosting.com - 10 months and counting!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

This is just my opinion but... A hosting company should not call themselves green unless they are working 75-100% hard to be 100% green.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:02 AM
Temporarily Suspended

There is no standard over the green hosting so far. It is usually depends on the implementation of using green energy source and the run on using recycleable energy or cut down on the energy usages.

Last edited by instantIT; 10-21-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Few things really.
The amount of power the hardware uses. The efficiency of how your hardware is cooled and also the offset, some datacentres are building windfarms etc.

There are no standards at the moment however, just word. I'd say you qualify as 'green'.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Temporarily Suspended

It seems that everyone has their own opinions of what is green or not. If you are not polluting with your services and are actually using renewable energy then you are at least partially green.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Being really 100% "green" is nearly impossible. There is always something in your office or the data center that isn't green. Most materials used for your hardware are harmful to the environment, maybe you or your staff have to drive with a car to the data center every now and then, you also probably use non-recycled paper, etc. There are lots of things we use every day that are harmful to the environment.

Your company is just green-powered and I think nowadays it should be quite normal for hosting companies to use only renewable energy since trillions of servers do a lot of damage to the environment.
Our data center and office are powered just by water, wind and solar energy. It feels good to contribute to a healthier world.

+ Official partners: CloudFlare | Attracta | Breezi | Incapsula | SiteLock