hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Can someone deposit a check for you with no signature?

Forum Jump

Can someone deposit a check for you with no signature?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2002, 10:20 AM
WHT Addict

Can someone deposit a check for you with no signature?

The check is from the same bank and they know my friend already. It's not a check from the bank itself it's a check from a company that uses the same bank as me.

Someone told me this can be done if you put all the money in the bank but i i don't think so.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2002, 10:23 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Without the signature on the check, it is not legally binding at all.

Old 12-21-2002, 10:48 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Unless it is for a very large sum of money, you can usually deposit it with other checks and the bank will not usually notice. However, if the issuer contests, you don't have a leg to stand on. Your bank will charge the amount back against your account. If it was an honest mistake, they should not contest it.

1-877-4-XIOLINK [+01 314 621 5500]

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

They will keep the check for reference, so if someone complains and they check it and see no siganture at all ... it'll probably be refunded

Old 12-21-2002, 02:03 PM
Web Hosting Guru

If you are asking if a check to you or your company can be deposited into (your) account by a person other than you or a representative of your company with out being endorsed by yourself or your company, the answer is yes.

The person depositing the check into your account needs to fill out a deposit slip with the correct account info. endorse the back of the check as " For deposit only " and deposit it.

I used to own a property management company in Nevada had to make deposit's like these into my client accounts on a daily basis.

-Mj.

Old 12-21-2002, 02:06 PM
Web Hosting Master

Call your bank and ask them! There may be a way to transfer funds electronically.
Usually if all the money is deposited in the account and a personalized deposit slip is used it will be accepted.

Old 12-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Soldier, Author and Patriot

depending on who's depositing in which account, you can also have someone sign the back with their signature stating 'signing for xxxxxxxxx' Check your bank's policies, but I've done this in the past.

Old 12-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

"FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" will work. My wife does it all the time for me, at three different financial institutions...

Old 12-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Often your contract with your bank (the one nobody reads) explicitly gives them permission to collect on your behalf for items made payable to you.

This is why most of the time they will accept an unendorsed check in a deposit.

Old 12-21-2002, 07:57 PM
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebel
Without the signature on the check, it is not legally binding at all.
If you are asking if you can accept and deposit a check without a signature, yes you can

So im not sure if Im on the same level as Brad & Rebel

After (1996) i think it was, they passed an act (cant remember the name) which allows you to deposit a check without a signature, and a bank is required to accept it (as long as its legit)

All thats required on the signature area is this statement

Quote:
SIGNATURE NOT REQUIRED
Your Depositor has authorized this payment to payee. Payee to hold you harmless for payment of this document. This document shall be deposited only to the credit of payee, and absence of endorcement is guaretted by payee's bank.
We have been processing payments from customers in this manner for quite a few years now.

Old 12-22-2002, 09:08 AM
Web Hosting Master

"common checks" also - I learned about them when I was in Illinois. I sent a monthly check for electricity, forgot to sign - it was cashed and the bank sent it to me with (Signiture On File) stamped on it. - I later learned from a banker friend that "common" here stands for idiots who forget to sign their checks

Old 12-23-2002, 04:45 AM
Web Hosting Master

Yep or heck just have your buddy sign your name, it's only forgery if you complain.

Post dating checks is worthless too, had a dentist a few years ago cash a check 3 weeks before the post dating on it, and the bank gladly bounced it, 3 times.

Old 12-23-2002, 01:53 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Post dating checks is worthless too, had a dentist a few years ago cash a check 3 weeks before the post dating on it, and the bank gladly bounced it, 3 times.
We were going to be out of state for three months and post dated checks for our lease, contrary to instructions the proporty management cashed all three checks within the first week of our departure ( ) thankfully we had the money to cover them.

So yea I would have to agree post dating doesn't work.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Average SQL Injection Breach Takes 140 Days to Discover: Ponemon Institute Report Web Hosting News 2014-04-16 12:01:12
Cloud Expo West 2013 Web Hosting Events 2013-10-29 16:08:33
Strategies to Reduce Operating Costs, Avoid Email Blacklisting and Improve Deliverability Webinars 2013-10-16 15:35:21
Researchers Urge System Admins to Check for New Apache Web Server Backdoor Malware Web Hosting News 2013-05-01 11:35:53
Windows Azure SSL Slip-up Brings SSL Checker Tools Business Blog 2013-02-26 12:25:08