Please advise reliable hosting for about $50 /year
- about 50 MB space
- at least 1 G transfer
- about 5 mailboxes with forwarding
- guest book
- counter and full access to statistics
- 24/7 access with user-friendly control panel
- no ads placed on my site
Not looking for anything fancy, the site will just have lots of text and pictures and a guestbook. What I need is a company that's proven reliable, with good customer support. What reasonably-priced hosts have a good reputation? Thanks.
1) 1/2gb bandwidth would be more then enough at first.. but look for a host that allows you to upgrade/downgrade at any time(but I don't think there are any that don't allow this.), and just upgrade etc as your site grows.
2) You could find a pretty decent hosting plan for $5 a month. As for support etc.. I recommend doing a search on the forums of a few companies that catch your eye here.. you'll find a lot of stuff on most hosts here.
Originally posted by Silvertone I'm completely new at this and still not sure what all the numbers mean, what exactly I need and where to look for it...
Let's rephrase the question(s)...
1. I plan to have a site with several hundred pages worth of text and about 500 photos, plus a guestbook. I expect the site to be fairly popular. How much space and bandwidth should I look for?
Okay, one way to check how much you really need in space is if you have all the photos right now in your harddisk is to go to Windows Explorer and click on Properties of the folder which holds on those images, it will tell you how much space they consume.
On a typical end, it would be best to keep images to about 100kb in size and probably web pages of about 50kb in size. Thus assuming if you have 500 pages to accompany the 500 photos, you will need :-
500 x (100 + 50kb) = 75,000kb or 75mb of web space.
For the guestbook, I would supposed you would need to have a database access, probably MySQL.
You would also need to give an allowance for the web log files and since you mentioned that the site would be fairly popularly, you will see the log file grow pretty quickly.
To be on the safe side, look for something in the 100 to 200mb region in web space.
For about 1gb or 1,000mb of bandwidth, this would give you a average of 1,000 / 75mb = 13.333 x turnover. In short, within a month, the 1gb can support about 13 surfers who would view all your 500 pages or an average of (1,000,000 / 150) = 6,666.67 page view a month or 222 page view per month.