Looking for Good Email Hosting

Hi Folks,

Currently I am assisting a company that is hosted by blue host. Basically they are happy with the service. Recently I became aware of some e-mail restrictions from blue host...

They basically have a limit of 750 e-mails sent per hour. Amounts over that will bounce back.

They also have a secondary issue with client-based e-mail. They have a restriction where you can only have 20 addresses attached per individual e-mail.

So, the company wants to stay with blue host -- but I am exploring other options for e-mail services.

We need to send out non-spam -- business e-mail to the customers in the amounts of 10 to 20,000 per month. We do not want restrictions like they have at blue host.

Question: can anyone recommend e-mail hosting that does not have these restrictions and is reasonably priced?
    Thanks - RevDave
      0 Not allowed!

Most if not all providers will have some restrictions, particularly a recipients-per-message limit. (It's actually there for your, the end user's, benefit.) Whatever software you're using should really be configurable to play nice with those limits.

How many messages do you send out at a time, and how many times a month do you send them out? If you're doing one or two large mailings a month, everyone is probably better served if you get a dedicated mailserver (a small VPS, say) just for your client(s). 10,000 messages at once can really bog down a mailserver for a half-hour or longer, which isn't particularly fun if you're sharing it with other people.

I don't know what you consider "reasonably priced"; constantcontact.com are one of the big players in this market, and they'll charge ~$150/mo for what you want. Compared to that, a managed VPS for $40 is quite "reasonable", IMO.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS
      0 Not allowed!

If your looking for an email host, I'd recommend Rackspace Email, they have a great webmail interface and they support IMAP/POP. Google Apps is also a popular option. I've heard of FuseMail but never used them.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Corster View Post
    If your looking for an email host, I'd recommend Rackspace Email, they have a great webmail interface and they support IMAP/POP. Google Apps is also a popular option. I've heard of FuseMail but never used them.
    He needs something different then what Google Apps provides I am pretty sure! I would definitely look into a cheap VPS. I've used Burst in the past and they treated me good and the uptime was great. What you need you could get for 5$ from them and with the 20K e-Mail messages, as long as they aren't spam. You'd be find with the 5$ VPS they offer. They are very strict with Abuse, so if any of the e-Mail sent out is spam you will be dealing with the Abuse department frequently!
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks Folks for the help - I will check out your recommendations. In our case this is all client based email - no spam - so there should be zero spam issues.

FYI: after probing the issue with the techs at bluehost - I was told that if there are more than 20 addresses per mail - then the 1st 20 will go out instantly and the rest will take some time - maybe several hours - (but not vanish into space with no bounce back replies as 1 tech originally said) - just thought you might like to know
    Thanks - RevDave
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by revdave View Post
    ...I was told that if there are more than 20 addresses per mail - then the 1st 20 will go out instantly and the rest will take some time - maybe several hours...
    Wow. If that's true (which it may not be, given that their support staff may not have a clue...) that's one of the most appalling things I've read in the last hour.

And to think some people complain about the occasional 5-10 minute delay from greylisting...
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS
      0 Not allowed!

Your best bet will be to look into a company that will allow you to bulk mail. there are plenty of services out there that you can use for smtp relay for the purpose of mass mailings. I would give them a search on google, you may find something you like.

best of luck on your search
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk
      0 Not allowed!

We have recently had great success with a customer wanting to use Active Campaign. Installed into a small VS our customer found it easy to use & widely used in the industry. We do not restrict the number of non-spam emails that a customer sends from their VS.
      0 Not allowed!