VPS host with good shared/reseller services

Hello all,

I am reading this forum for a few days and I am still not sure what to do.
    I have a web site with 3000-3500 UV per day with 10.000 page views and around 80 GB traffic (it went from 1000 UV to 3000 in last 3 weeks). I use a simple script I bought and don't know how much resources it needs. I have it on GoDaddy's shared hosting. So far it is working. On may asking their support told me I am on their legacy system and they offer to move it to grid (BTW in 3 years at Go Daddy I never had any problem. Maybe just a luck). I don't want that upgrade because I have around 20 small sites and I know how things go during upgrade process.
    I seems it is time to prepare to move that visited site to VPS or good shared hosting.

I looked primarily VPS and it seems Knownhost gives good things for the money (both in low and high end level and they have good reputation). I am still reluctant to spend 35$ a month for web hosting. Big chunk of earned money.
    I prefer to move to reliable shared service or even to pay reseller service for $20/month and host only that site and than upgrade to VPS if things go good and it is required.

The problem is that I can't find company that has both good shared reseller package (around 20$) and VPS service around 35$ (512 MB/ 30 GB HDD/ 150 GB BW)

For example, I have shared account at Lunarpages for 2 years. It works fine. They have reseller package but their VPS is $60.

It seems that cheap and good VPS packages are only at companies that specialize in VPS and dedicated servers.

Since site depands on SEO can good VPS (primarily server speed/access) help to it and should I invest money and try to gain more visitors. I also don't want to move site too much from one company to another. That might not be good for SERP.

Is 4000-5000 UV/day and 12000 page views traffic for VPS and I should not consider shared/reseller package at this moment?

I don't know enough about servers and I need fully managed VPS.

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by croboy; 08-22-2010 at 04:33 PM.

You came to the right place to look for hosting services. You should not have problems finding shared hosting or reseller hosting under $20 a month from a reputable company. Try looking in the offers section for shared and reseller services and you will find some decent deals.

You are receiving a pretty good amount of pageviews a day, but if you are not having any problems with the speed and performance of your website on shared hosting, I would recommend stay on shared hosting. But if you are experiencing slow speeds and low performance, it may be time to move to a VPS since 12,000 pageviews a day is not low.

Your budget is pretty average for a low end VPS service with cPanel, but increasing your budget to around $40 - $50 a month, you have a better chance getting a VPS from a more reputable company with more disk resources.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

I wouldn't try reseller hosting at first. Since it's going to be a pain to move your sites this much. I would recommend to go with an reputable VPS provider that gives you the option to upgrade at any time until you have outgrown an VPS.

Check the VPS hosting offers forum, search for some reviews on some providers and visit the providers site you may like and ask pre-sales questions.

We have had some customers which outgrew shared hosting then they outgrew VPS hosting and now they are on one of our dedicated servers. This is the optimal way, find a company you like and if they provide quality services you wont have to worry about anything. Im sure any other company does the same if they offer shared / VPS / dedicated services.
    Host Mist - Helping People Say Hello World
    Shared | VPS | Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by Richard-BCS View Post
    I wouldn't try reseller hosting at first.

Most reseller providers offer free migration services, making it very easy for the OP. I think that if he is trying to save money, he should start off with a reseller plan from a reputable provider and then only upgrade if deemed necessary.
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

IMO, If your existing always give you warning on the high load from your webpage, it is the time for you to move to VPS or dedicated server. Basically shared and reseller hosting almost the same and don't have to much worry about managing the server compare to VPS. However, if you talking about flexibility, VPS is the choice for you to move on at this moment and simply get a managed VPS that can solve your concern.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

I'm sorry, but I do not understand why do you search for both packages on the same company (Reseller and VPS), if you get an account on a Cpanel host you can migrate to any host just with the backup of your sites generated through cpanel.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    I'm sorry, but I do not understand why do you search for both packages on the same company (Reseller and VPS), if you get an account on a Cpanel host you can migrate to any host just with the backup of your sites generated through cpanel.
    I was thinking to avoid DNS problems (if it can be avoided it when upgrading from shared to VPS at same company).

But, as you said it should not be a problem if I have cPanel at both places. I am liitle more for reseller package at the moment.

I found this article and now I little reluctant to go stright to VPS since I don't need full server access
    whreviews com/vps-web-hosting.htm
    (I don't have rights to post link at the moment so put dot before com))

What do you say about that article?

Quote Originally Posted by XeHSean View Post
    Most reseller providers offer free migration services, making it very easy for the OP. I think that if he is trying to save money, he should start off with a reseller plan from a reputable provider and then only upgrade if deemed necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by CH Hosting View Post
    IMO, If your existing always give you warning on the high load from your webpage, it is the time for you to move to VPS or dedicated server. Basically shared and reseller hosting almost the same and don't have to much worry about managing the server compare to VPS. However, if you talking about flexibility, VPS is the choice for you to move on at this moment and simply get a managed VPS that can solve your concern.
    That would be my answer to your comment, Sean^^
    Host Mist - Helping People Say Hello World
    Shared | VPS | Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by croboy View Post
    I was thinking to avoid DNS problems (if it can be avoided it when upgrading from shared to VPS at same company).

But, as you said it should not be a problem if I have cPanel at both places. I am liitle more for reseller package at the moment.

I found this article and now I little reluctant to go stright to VPS since I don't need full server access
    whreviews com/vps-web-hosting.htm
    (I don't have rights to post link at the moment so put dot before com))

What do you say about that article?
    You'll have to update your own nameservers (renumbering IPs) or change them anyway if you move from reseller to VPS anyway.

IMHO, you should go to a reseller package now, and if in the future you want to upgrade to a VPS, you can start a new research.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore