hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Nixcom 1 Month Review

Forum Jump

Nixcom 1 Month Review

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Nixcom 1 Month Review

Been with Nixcom.ca for a month now and this is their first review on the forums.

Setup Time - 10
VPS details were sent instantly after payment

Price - 6.5
Good price but there are cheaper out there

Uptime - 9
Monitored with Pingdom, 99.9%

Support - 1
There's only one guy (Martin) running the show so when he's not around, you have to wait. He lives in Canada and I'm in the other side of the world so when I contact support, I will have to wait anywhere between 8-24hours for a single reply.
When I contacted Martin about an error running OpenVPN (http //a.imageshack.us/img836/3774/errorqa.jpg) I had to wait 13 hours for a reply and when he did reply, he didn't know what the error was and basically ignored it.
If you search the error on WHT, it is up to the VPS host to update the server config but Martin had no clue on how to do it.

Performance - 1
Either the server I was on was being oversold or my allocated CPU speed was 1Mhz but when I tried to backup my site (~1.6gb) it would take hours and backing up the MySQL database (200mb) from Wordpress took over an hour when it took my Shared hosting account elsewhere less than a minute.

Bandwidth - 3
Download speeds were good but the VPS package I was on had 1000GB/month and when I used only around 100GB, I got a warning for using bandwidth???

Overall - 5
For $6/month maybe I was expecting too much but I will not be staying with Nixcom

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 03:22 AM
Snoork Hosting

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Nixcom, but yes for $6 a month you cannot except much for a VPS. You can barely get a shared hosting for $6 a month.

Hope you will find the right VPS service to meet your standards.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Web Hosting Master

Well you certainly can not expect the same things from an VPS under $10/mo as one that costs you $30+. But there are very solid budget providers out there that provide and excellent value for your money. Check out Ramhost and Quickweb.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

The user got his problem with openvpn fixed. He never told us any problem about speed of the server at any point. A ticket systeme is in place for that kind of problem. The warning about bandwidth was sent because I saw a peak on my graph, and could be a possible attack.

I got a lot of users paying for premium support, they got more efficient support than standard management.

Just wanted to fix some points on that review

Old 08-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcom View Post
The user got his problem with openvpn fixed. He never told us any problem about speed of the server at any point. A ticket systeme is in place for that kind of problem. The warning about bandwidth was sent because I saw a peak on my graph, and could be a possible attack.

I got a lot of users paying for premium support, they got more efficient support than standard management.

Just wanted to fix some points on that review
Problem was NOT fixed (you didn't know how to fix the problem!). You could not fix the problem so basically told me to seek help from OpenVPN forum. OpenVPN was not important to me so I gave up trying to fix the problem when the problem was down to you. I even reinstalled my VPS (CentOS + Ubuntu) just to make sure it wasn't something wrong with my config.

I also never contacted you about the speed problem because after the OpenVPN fiasco I already decided I would not be staying with Nixcom so I never chased the issue.

The warning for the Bandwidth usage was not because you thought it might be an attack but because you probably couldn't afford the bandwidth. You basically told me it was my only warning and if I used anymore bandwidth you would suspend me. Why offer 1TB bandwidth if you don't let me use it?

My advice to people looking for a cheap VPS, Nixcom is NOT for you. Way better providers out there.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

It was fixed with all informations on forum I found and you found. It seems it was something else. I got a lot of users running vpn just with TUN/TAP enabled. It looks like a lot of people on forums having trouble with openvz and openvpn. Why are you blaming me on that? Ask openvpn for support then. All procedures given from openvpn has been made.

I got a lot of bandwidth free on the node you were on. You seems to be frustrated and that's it.

OpenVPN is not working and that's it. You don't have to say that I'm not offering a good service cause YOU are not able to setup your vpn.

My advice to provider, Way better customers out there.

Just a reminder on what warning I gave you:

Subject: warning

Hi,

We noticed some strange things this week on your vps:

100 MBIT peak directly to google ip (sounds like ddos)

25 MBIT

15 MBIT peaks to some IP on port 80.

This is your first, and last warning. These kind of uses are not allowed under our node. Next time your account will be terminated.

Regards,

Nix Communications

A peak of 100 MBIT going out to Google IP... It sounds weird. I got a warning from my ISP on that point. So please, stop telling wrong things.

OpenVPN doesn't work on the vps I offered you, that's it. You think that it's my fault, ok let's say I take the blame.

For the rest, please stop.

Last edited by nixcom; 08-22-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: wrong word.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I uploaded ubuntu dvd (4.7gb) and wget onto another VPS to test out the bandwidth. Once I reached 100GB (10%), I got a final warning. If you didn't want me use 1TB, don't offer 1TB.

Server node performance was dire, just like the 'support' received. Bad bad service. I'm glad I moved provider, Nixcom was terrible.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

You got a peak of 100MBIT to google IP. That's it.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Where's the proof? What was the IP?
Avoid Nixcom like the plague.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Very detailed review, sorry for the problems you had with them.

Server Reseller Program: significant discounts, to increase your profits!

Old 08-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Backup Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoorkAdvertiser View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Nixcom, but yes for $6 a month you cannot except much for a VPS. You can barely get a shared hosting for $6 a month.

Hope you will find the right VPS service to meet your standards.
Why not? Check Lowendbox, you can find a lot of VPS within that price range, just with low ram and disk space etc.

@OP what VPS specs did you get for 6 USD? I totally agree with you that you should be able to utilize the Bandwidth you purchased!

Secure,Fast and Reliable Offsite Backups

Old 08-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

We got all informations we need. I can ask you the same, you do not have any proof on what you're saying. Anyways, you got support, just not the support you expected and that's it. Have fun with your new provider, and hope you gonna be happy with them.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

You can use the bandwidth as you want, but not to ddos someone else.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcom View Post
We got all informations we need. I can ask you the same, you do not have any proof on what you're saying. Anyways, you got support, just not the support you expected and that's it. Have fun with your new provider, and hope you gonna be happy with them.
Here's my proof: http://a.imageshack.us/img682/6252/17650342.jpg
230 x 4.8gb = ~115gb

URL list: http://a.imageshack.us/img835/456/52716282.jpg
100mb test files downloaded onto another server: http://a.imageshack.us/img834/9783/21240569.jpg
I remote upload the 5gb test file onto another server. My BW usage for that month was around 115gb. So where was the BW used on DDoS?

Now where's your proof?

Old 08-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

wow. What a proof... No ips, no logs, nothing.

where is the proof of your vps BW usage? We can do that for a while my friend, stop harassing me.
The proof will be given to you after investigation between my ISP and google.

This is my final word. If you want to reach me, open a ticket on your account.