hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Billing Upgrades/Downgrades

Forum Jump

Billing Upgrades/Downgrades

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Billing Upgrades/Downgrades

Ok this may seem like a silly question, since normally this is just handled by the billing system. However I am not using any normal billing system I am opting to write my own so it can be intergrated with my custom control panel for a specialized type of hosting I am going to do.

That said, I will be accepting PayPal payments via Website Payments Standard and intergrating with IPN. Users may opt to pay each invoice as it comes or use a subscription to have it auto-paid.

Now my question is how do I handle upgrade and downgrades for those who pay by subscription?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

You probably can't. The only possibility is cancel the subscription manually at paypal if you have a upgrade/downgrade request and let your customer re-subscribe from the 1st invoice after the upgrade/downgrade.

That is how we do it anyway. I think there is no option to raise/lower the recurring price for a current paypal subscription. The customer has to agree to that first...

Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidierE View Post
You probably can't. The only possibility is cancel the subscription manually at paypal if you have a upgrade/downgrade request and let your customer re-subscribe from the 1st invoice after the upgrade/downgrade.

That is how we do it anyway. I think there is no option to raise/lower the recurring price for a current paypal subscription. The customer has to agree to that first...
This sounds about right?

Does anyone know how WHMCS handles this?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro_Host View Post
This sounds about right?

Does anyone know how WHMCS handles this?
We work with WHMCS so i know from experience that it doesn't by default change the paypal subscription amount

Old 08-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Web Hosting Master

WHMCS does allow clients to change the subscription amounts, however due to limitations in PayPal's API it's not quite perfect: http://wiki.whmcs.com/PayPal#Modify_Subscriptions

Old 08-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thanks for the info. For now though I don't have access to PayPal API's as I am not using Pro, maybe as a grow it might be worth the cost to use API's to automate more stuff.

In the meantime When the customer upgrades/dpwngrades I'll just have it generate an email to me telling me to csncel their subnscription then I will manually do that and on their next non-prorated invoice it will provide the customer with a button to start a new subscription.

Thanks for the insight.

I am really starting to have an appriciation for what billing systems do. When I read that link about WHMCS modifying subscriptons elsewhere on the page it mentioned that it won't show the user a subscription button after the due date to avoid all future payments being late, thats something I probably would not have thought of until it happens to me unless I saw that.