Supermicro IPMI Issue

Hello,

We have ran into a slight issue and thought I make a quick post. In one of our cabinets we are trying to move over all our servers that have IPMI from one switch to it's own dedicated switch just for IPMI. In doing so we have found out that just plugging it into the new switch won't work and requires a reboot of the server to activate the IPMI again. Is there a way around this without rebooting the machine ?

modify the LAN from shared to dedicated to prevent failover in the first case. then no reboot required.

disable and enable primary LAN to try a failback to 3rd nic

test on some machine before try on live

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    modify the LAN from shared to dedicated to prevent failover in the first case. then no reboot required.

disable and enable primary LAN to try a failback to 3rd nic

test on some machine before try on live
    Thanks we will give it a try. Any other suggestions ?

That's odd, i would've thought it would start working again right away. Maybe after plugging it into the new switch give it say 5-10mins before trying to connect?

I've had some issues with IPMI as well. A lot of times, you can't ping or access the ipmi, but a reboot or power cycle fixes it. Do you think that maybe my ipmi is failing over to the non-dedicated port? I've got a private network for ipmi, so if it fails over to a shared port, it may as well be down. Do you think that's probably what I'm seeing? If I let the servers sit for about a week, maybe half of them will be ipmi accessible, the other half would need a reboot to get back in.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    I've had some issues with IPMI as well. A lot of times, you can't ping or access the ipmi, but a reboot or power cycle fixes it. Do you think that maybe my ipmi is failing over to the non-dedicated port? I've got a private network for ipmi, so if it fails over to a shared port, it may as well be down. Do you think that's probably what I'm seeing? If I let the servers sit for about a week, maybe half of them will be ipmi accessible, the other half would need a reboot to get back in.
    Thats most likely it. Make sure you have it set to dedicated port in the IPMI config and that issue will disappear.

If the dedicated IPMI port does not have link when the machine boots it will use the primary adapter instead. You can plug your IPMI management cable into that, access the IPMI interfaces and then reset the IPMI from there. Make sure you have a link on the dedicated IPMI port before you reset it.

Yes the IPMI has to be set to a dedicated port in the IPMI config, and not SHARED with the lan interface

Thanks, give it a shot.

by the way, I tried this out. I was set to failover. Set it back to dedicated, no issues thus far.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com