Question VPS file systems: Please help teach me how to fix my messed up Burst.net VPS.

Hello,
    I would be really happy if someone can point me in the right direction to escape from virtual Hell.

• Please don't let the long post scare you away there is one simple question near the end.

^^^^^^^^^

a) I have two VPS's which work very well and the default "root file system" shows up like this:

/ (Root filesystem) Reiser Filesystem (reiserfs)
    • So: reiserfs is the "default Root Filesystem" on the two good accounts.

The other one:
    / (Root filesystem) SIMFS
    SIMFS is the default on xx.x.xxx.xx which has been "melting down for over five days"

Code:
    FYI:
    Complete meltdown = SSH blocks all connections
    Both Apache/PHP and Webmin give error messages about "file NOT found" WHEN the files DO exist.

After reboot, then the files ARE found for ~20 to 30 minutes
    THEN it all melts down again
    FOR 5 DAYS
    Fresh install / Fresh Hope
    Followed by MELTDOWN "file NOT found", bad file descriptor, SSH FAILS all at once.

Cured by reboot then 20-30 minutes = MELTDOWN Time.
    1) Regarding the different default "root file-systems"

Burst tech says:
    reiserfs shows as the filesystem in a VPS where second level quotas have been assigned, VPS technically do not have an actual filesystem.
    2) OK, let's start there:
    (Root filesystem) SIMFS Location = /dev/simfs
    SIMFS is the default on the "bad" VPS

/dev/simfs (on a fresh install) DOES NOT EXIST
    /dev/simfs does exist on my two "good VPS's"

Burst engineering says:
    The problem you experienced with this container was directly related to the configuration file put in place by Veportal when the reinstall was done. The configuration file for your VPS was missing some important configuration lines.
    Oh how nice, after 5 days of Hell

So does it work now?
    H@LL no.
    ps. Burst Ticket ID: 2329392

Someone: Please help answer this simple question:
    • If '/dev/simfs' is missing on a clean install (CentOS 5.5) will this cause serious problems with a file system using (Root filesystem) SIMFS Location = /dev/simfs ??

Any other advice on how to handle this totally unacceptable situation?
    Thank you very much.

ps. At this moment, its been stable for a "record-breaking" 3 whole hours, but I don't feel confident the set-up is proper.

/ (Root filesystem) SIMFS location =/dev/simfs 1% Yes
    and
    /dev/simfs Does NOT Exist (but does on my other accounts)

Update:
    There was one (or more) configuration issues totally outside of my control, so support is expected even on an un-managed account. Hopefully, it's stable now, too early to be sure.

Burst's support was very helpful, with a notable (possible) exception.*

EDIT: To be fair: My earlier reference to "5 days of Hell" included ~2 or 2.5 days prior to opening a ticket, since I thought (assumed) the problems were caused by me somehow.

To be a bit 'harsh': One member of their "front-line" support could have done a much better job helping to get the problems solved much sooner. *Instead he seems to just prefer to "blame Webmin"
    ###

The unanswered question:

Not too many people seem to be experts about /dev/simfs, so I don't mind talking to myself.

Someone: Please help answer this simple question:

* If '/dev/simfs' is missing on a clean install (CentOS 5.5) will this cause serious problems with a file system using (Root filesystem) SIMFS Location = /dev/simfs ??
    Answer:
    Supposedly, the presence of a 'physical' file (empty file/ container/ whatever) @the location '/dev/simfs' is only needed when "secondary quotas are being applied."

I hope my VPS is stable now.
    Last edited by UpdownUp; 07-27-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Talking to yourself could still help someone else in the future so well done for taking the time to record what happened

Quote Originally Posted by PingVPS View Post
    Talking to yourself could still help someone else in the future so well done for taking the time to record what happened
    Thanks Ping

My account is MELTED-DOWN for the 45th time in six days (not exaggerating really!)
    MELT-DOWN is clearly defined in my first post.

Burst engineering had said:
    The problem you experienced with this container was directly related to the configuration file put in place by Veportal when the reinstall was done. The configuration file for your VPS was missing some important configuration lines.
    ..but their adjustment didn't work for the short to medium-term.

^^^

Obviously, it is way past time to switch to a different server; So far the wait time has been over three hours.

SIMFS is the openvz/virtuozzo virtual file system, its actually just a folder. The actual file system is probably ext3 on the host node. If your having this many problems with burst why are you still using them?
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

^^
    I have 2 other VPS's w/ Burst which work fine; Having all three in the same data center makes for really fast connections between accounts.
    ^^^
    A single account with another company is my "more expensive" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    SIMFS is the openvz/virtuozzo virtual file system, its actually just a folder....
    Thanks.