hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Looking for an alternative to Aplus.net
Reply

Forum Jump

Looking for an alternative to Aplus.net

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4

Looking for an alternative to Aplus.net


Hello,

I have been with Aplus.net for over a year now, and I have started to get fed up with them. My sites are down fairly frequently (or at least more frequently than I would like), sometimes they mess up my .htaccess files, and even delete my favicons, it took them a month to set up ssh, and I can't even use cron. They have also charged me extra each month for FTP accounts I am unable to delete. Worst of all, though, is there control panel not only looks bad, but it's also really confusing, slow and doesn't really let you control much. Luckily, I didn't buy by the year or anything, so I can switch whenever I want.

I've been thinking of switching hosts for some time now, and I've decided it's finally the time. I use this server for some personal sites for me and a couple other people, but also for a web service and a company site. Disk space is not an issue, and really, bandwidth isn't much of one either. However, MySQL databases are very important for my uses. So I'm really just wondering what hosts you suggest for these purposes. Ideally they will also have a nice-looking and functional control panel, and won't try to rip me off. I'm willing to pay up to $30ish a month (but would consider paying more if it's a very highly recommend host).

Thanks!



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old
Dependable Web Services
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Modesto, Ca. - USA
Posts: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeturner View Post
Hello,

I have been with Aplus.net for over a year now, and I have started to get fed up with them. My sites are down fairly frequently (or at least more frequently than I would like), sometimes they mess up my .htaccess files, and even delete my favicons, it took them a month to set up ssh, and I can't even use cron. They have also charged me extra each month for FTP accounts I am unable to delete. Worst of all, though, is there control panel not only looks bad, but it's also really confusing, slow and doesn't really let you control much. Luckily, I didn't buy by the year or anything, so I can switch whenever I want.

I've been thinking of switching hosts for some time now, and I've decided it's finally the time. I use this server for some personal sites for me and a couple other people, but also for a web service and a company site. Disk space is not an issue, and really, bandwidth isn't much of one either. However, MySQL databases are very important for my uses. So I'm really just wondering what hosts you suggest for these purposes. Ideally they will also have a nice-looking and functional control panel, and won't try to rip me off. I'm willing to pay up to $30ish a month (but would consider paying more if it's a very highly recommend host).

Thanks!
Do you know how much diskspace and bandwidth your website uses? It doesnt sound like you will need much (almost all shared hosts provide what you are looking for).

Filling out an inquiry via hostvoice.net is always a good place to start, also take a look at the offers section http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

If your websites are basic (with low traffic), you should be able to get something around $5-10 per month.

__________________
Fernando Diaz Alfaro - Owner of FernGullyGraphics
Shared and Reseller Web Hosting Services - Web Design - Domain Names
WHM/Cpanel - Cloud Linux - Varnish Cache - Wordpress - Magento - Site Builders
Click Here to Learn More About Our Services!- Check Out Our Youtube Channel

  #3  
Old
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,762
I'm not sure to quite understand your needs. Are you looking for a dedicated server? Or shared hosting? Or even a VPS?

30$ is much for a shared hosting account while extremely low for a dedicated one.
Would you mind explaining a bit more?

__________________
Maxence H. - UBservers.com
Specialists in high-performance hosting since 2008!
Outstanding 24x7 support - Canada, USA, France

SSD VPS Dedicated Servers SSD Web Hosting

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old
Cultivated in California
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,410
Ouch, sorry to hear Joe. A majority of hosts do not limit the amount of FTP accounts you can have. As far as SSH, not all providers give this out and if they do they do ask for some identificaion.

If you want a good looking and functional control panel, look for a host who offers cPanel in the offers section. It is a great software and you can demo it heree - http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpanelwhm/try-demo.html

Try to stay away from hosts offering "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth since they are scams. Best of Luck on your search, also be sure to look for reviews on a host you're interested in.

  #5  
Old
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Ouch, sorry to hear Joe. A majority of hosts do not limit the amount of FTP accounts you can have. As far as SSH, not all providers give this out and if they do they do ask for some identificaion.

If you want a good looking and functional control panel, look for a host who offers cPanel in the offers section. It is a great software and you can demo it heree - http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpanelwhm/try-demo.html

Try to stay away from hosts offering "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth since they are scams. Best of Luck on your search, also be sure to look for reviews on a host you're interested in.
I agree here. cPanel is probably your best bet for a simple and good looking control panel. Also, try to avoid those unlimited offers when it comes to space & bandwidth

__________________
Maxence H. - UBservers.com
Specialists in high-performance hosting since 2008!
Outstanding 24x7 support - Canada, USA, France

SSD VPS Dedicated Servers SSD Web Hosting

  #6  
Old
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubservers View Post
I'm not sure to quite understand your needs. Are you looking for a dedicated server? Or shared hosting? Or even a VPS?

30$ is much for a shared hosting account while extremely low for a dedicated one.
Would you mind explaining a bit more?
Sorry about that. As of now, I'm looking just for shared hosting.

As far as diskspace and bandwidth, we use maybe 1-2GB. Bandwidth: Aplus seems to have this part broken, but I would expect 10GB max.

  #7  
Old
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeturner View Post
Sorry about that. As of now, I'm looking just for shared hosting.

As far as diskspace and bandwidth, we use maybe 1-2GB. Bandwidth: Aplus seems to have this part broken, but I would expect 10GB max.
With those specs, you wont have any problem finding this in the offer section for about 5$

__________________
Maxence H. - UBservers.com
Specialists in high-performance hosting since 2008!
Outstanding 24x7 support - Canada, USA, France

SSD VPS Dedicated Servers SSD Web Hosting

  #8  
Old
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 151
Have to agree with Ubservers, there is some fantastic and well respected hosting comapnies who can provide what you need in the offers section, as said above go with someone who has reviews.

Just remember you usually get what you pay for, most of the companies who offer unlimited everything are usually gone in a few months, try to go with a smaller package but slightly more expensive if you expect quality.

I would say for maximum budget should be $10 per month.

  #9  
Old
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubservers View Post
With those specs, you wont have any problem finding this in the offer section for about 5$
Ah yes, I just found a bunch

I'm looking at the SharkSpace 50% off lifetime deal, and it looks pretty solid. I might just go with that

  #10  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: /etc/my.cnf
Posts: 9,442
i,d also like to add that companys which advertise such huge limits is just aswell an unlimited host...

IE 500GB DISK, 20TB BANDWIDTH = UNLIMITED

__________________
LeapHost High Performance Wordpress & Magento Hosting Powered By Litespeed.
Fast Dedicated Servers | Uptime Cloud Monitoring | Proactive Server Management.
Server Setups | Stable Migrations | Security/Hardening | cPanel DNS Cluster Setups.
24/7 Ticket + Phone + Live Chat Support | Fancy An Offer > | Visit Our Special Offers


  #11  
Old
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeturner View Post
Ah yes, I just found a bunch

I'm looking at the SharkSpace 50% off lifetime deal, and it looks pretty solid. I might just go with that
Just one thing. Before you buy out a host, make sure to research a bit about them or try to talk to them. Make sure they dont have many bad reviews and so on.

__________________
Maxence H. - UBservers.com
Specialists in high-performance hosting since 2008!
Outstanding 24x7 support - Canada, USA, France

SSD VPS Dedicated Servers SSD Web Hosting

  #12  
Old
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
is there a check list somewhere on what to look for when migrating hosts ?

  #13  
Old
Reseller Hosting Specialist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamatt View Post
is there a check list somewhere on what to look for when migrating hosts ?
Not really. The best advise is really to find a host that interests you and then to search reviews on that provider. If the reviews look good, check to see if they have a money back guarantee. Then, give them a shot

__________________
XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

  #14  
Old
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Paradise
Posts: 11,599
How big are your DBs? and how many you have?

__________________
Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

  #15  
Old
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Hi Joe.
Iíve read your post and am very sorry to hear youíve had troubles recently. I will work with you personally to address all challenges youíre having. Can you send me your account number and the best way to contact your directly? Please email me at customer.relations@aplus.net. Your business is very important to us.


Caysha
Manager, Escalations and Retentions
APLUS.NET, a Deluxe Company
Toll Free: 888-771-7587
Email: cayshas@aplus.net

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aplus.net is the worst host i've ever dealt with, STAY AWAY! WARNING DO NOT USE APLUS DeeperImage Dedicated Server 13 06-15-2006 11:06 AM
Aplus.net Down?? pshepperd Providers and Network Outages and Updates 1 03-01-2006 12:50 AM
The truth about aplus.net, Aplus.net is the worse company i've ever seen. Drache Web Hosting 111 06-23-2005 08:22 AM
aplus.net ? Fahd Dedicated Server 4 04-19-2004 05:15 PM

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Recurring Billing Specialist Recurly Raises $12M Series B Funding Round Web Hosting News 2014-10-20 13:07:03
Open-Xchange Launches File Sync Service, Announces Online Communications Service Web Hosting News 2014-02-19 11:58:46
Self-Hosted Cloud Project arkOS Meets $45k Funding Goal Web Hosting News 2013-11-29 15:00:14
Why Federate when you can Differentiate? Webinars 2014-06-10 11:07:26
Go Daddy, OfficeMax Partner to Put Small Business Hosting on Retail Shelves Web Hosting News 2013-01-17 07:59:36


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
WHT Host Brief Email:

We respect your privacy. We will never sell, rent, or give away your address to any outside party, ever.

Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:
WHT Membership
WHT Membership



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?