hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Is there a "standard" VPS hostname?

Forum Jump

Is there a "standard" VPS hostname?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Question

Is there a "standard" VPS hostname?

I recently ordered a VPS and chose a weird (I think) hostname, 'server.domain.com'

I was reading an article mentioning that some applications might break but failed to mention a solution... perhaps the person was misinformed. As long as it RESOLVES, it should be okay, right?

Out of curiosity, is there a more standard hostname you guys setup for your VPS? Such as 'www.domain.com' or just simply 'domain.com' ?

Is there a pro or con of any of this or none of it matters one bit? I just don't want to spend days and weeks setting up the VPS or worse running sites then having to reload and installing everything cause of a host name.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

There's nothing at all wrong with 'server.domain.com' as a hostname -- provided of course that 'domain.com' is actually your domain, and that you create an A record for 'server.domain.com' in your DNS.

Old
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostnwb View Post
Out of curiosity, is there a more standard hostname you guys setup for your VPS? Such as 'www.domain.com' or just simply 'domain.com' ?
server hostname itself is the name of upstream provider in my case, for example "rapidswitch" or "singlehop".

For domain names i often just create subhost of the continental-country, like eur-uk. or usa-la.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
There's nothing at all wrong with 'server.domain.com' as a hostname -- provided of course that 'domain.com' is actually your domain, and that you create an A record for 'server.domain.com' in your DNS.
Actually, there is (at least if you want your PTR to match)! It's a little trivial, but I was reminded this morning. A few mail destinations (Craigslist is a good one) block mail from servers with "server" in the name. I usually use vps.domain.com.

Old
MACBOOKS EVERYWHEREEEEEEEEEEEE

I usually do something like lastoctetofip.location.example.com, so it .41 would be 41.ord.example.com

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradQ View Post
Actually, there is (at least if you want your PTR to match)! It's a little trivial, but I was reminded this morning. A few mail destinations (Craigslist is a good one) block mail from servers with "server" in the name. I usually use vps.domain.com.
I didn't know that. It would be interesting to hear the rationale for it. I wonder if it includes mail from domains like observer.com (just as an example)?

Old
Web Hosting Master

there's no standard, you can use whatever you want for a hostname.
if you don't have idea what to use, describe machine purpose:

e.g.

multi purpose server = server.domain.com
mailserver = mail.domain.com
web server = www.domain.com
Johnny's laptop = johnny-laptop.domain.com

the first part is hostname, the rest is domain, and both are FQDN (fully qualified domain name)

Last edited by xtrac568; 07-14-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

does anyone know how to change hostname in Debian? i try to change hostname on Soluvm from server.domain.com to server but not successful

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

use the command hostname. also see /etc/hostname

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by portalgod View Post
use the command hostname. also see /etc/hostname
i used command:
hostname newhostname

but nothing changed

Old