View Poll Results: How many people are using the IPhone?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am using

7 41.18%
  • I am not using

11 64.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Consumer Reports won't recommend iPhone

Hello hostingguy12 here:

I was just reading on CNN Tech that consumer reports does not recommend the IPhone. Being an IPhone user myself I do believe that the IPhone is worth the cost and with all the applications available one can pretty much do anything just like a computer.

I actually have used the Iphone to help support my customers with issues when it came to hosting.

One example of this is a customer the other day called and asked why there CPanel Login was not working. I jumped on my IPhone while still having them on the phone and logged into our servers and fixed the issue.

I would like to know what everyone else thinks. Is the Iphone good for you? How can the IPhone assist with your Hosting?

Thanks,

Hostingguy12

They're not recommending the iPhone 4, because the antenna design is faulty. And it really is that broke. Holding it like any right-handed person would will drop the signal strength by 20dB, or 1/100th of what it would be otherwise.

Incidentally, I can't believe how some people are actually defending Apple about this. They've gone from "not hold it like that" to "buy a case" to fraudulently claiming that it's a software problem. And now they've taken on the "if we ignore it maybe it'll go away" strategy. So no. I will never own an iPhone, even if they throw it after me.

I didnt believe this, but I did google it and found:

It's official. Consumer Reports' engineers have just completed testing the iPhone 4, and have confirmed that there is a problem with its reception. When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side—an easy thing, especially for lefties—the signal can significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal. Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4.
    For the full article: http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...twork-gsm.html

Hopefully apple will correct the problem shortly though
    iPhone 4 HD Wallpapers - High Quality 640x960 iPhone 4 Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by hostingguy12 View Post
    Hello hostingguy12 here:

I was just reading on CNN Tech that consumer reports does not recommend the IPhone. Being an IPhone user myself I do believe that the IPhone is worth the cost and with all the applications available one can pretty much do anything just like a computer.

I actually have used the Iphone to help support my customers with issues when it came to hosting.

One example of this is a customer the other day called and asked why there CPanel Login was not working. I jumped on my IPhone while still having them on the phone and logged into our servers and fixed the issue.

I would like to know what everyone else thinks. Is the Iphone good for you? How can the IPhone assist with your Hosting?

Thanks,

Hostingguy12
    Well that sounds good but there are plenty of phones you can do that with and so much more. I use the Nokia N900 linux OS phone/internet tablet. I can do things on it that there is no way I could do on an Iphone. Admit I have not tried the I4 yet but on a 3GS I would be flipping screens so often I would get lost doing some of the server work I do on my N900.

Oh and buy Apple shares now.
    They have dropped like a rock with the expected fix for the Iphone to cost them about $1.7 billion.
    They will go back up once this is cleared.
    Jobs is holding a press conference Fri to discuss the issue.

Apple was smart to open up the ease of coding applications and so on, however, having such a great product and established name, they should have done extensive testing, maybe even do a beta testing and give it to users all over to test it for a few months prior to releasing it...
    It seems like they focused on how nice and slim it looks and how intutive and easy it is but forgot that it is a phone and reception is the heart of the phone.
    this is my 2 cents.

I cannot use an iPhone because I hate having a virtual keyboard, on blackberries and samsung jack phones I can type without looking at the keyboard since it is not virtual.
    SSL4ALL.com now offers the most Affordable SSLs Certificates on the internet. An Authorized COMODO Reseller.
    SSL4ALL.com now offers Merchannt Accounts and Authorize.net @ very low rates.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Techark View Post
    They have dropped like a rock with the expected fix for the Iphone to cost them about $1.7 billion.
    very smart idea... I invested so much money in stocks and on that day the flash crash took place... what a bad day I had a few months ago, I am still waiting for the stocks to come back up so I can clear my money as it dropped more than 24% in one day.
    SSL4ALL.com now offers the most Affordable SSLs Certificates on the internet. An Authorized COMODO Reseller.
    SSL4ALL.com now offers Merchannt Accounts and Authorize.net @ very low rates.

Quote Originally Posted by aeris View Post
    They're not recommending the iPhone 4, because the antenna design is faulty. And it really is that broke. Holding it like any right-handed person would will drop the signal strength by 20dB, or 1/100th of what it would be otherwise.

Incidentally, I can't believe how some people are actually defending Apple about this. They've gone from "not hold it like that" to "buy a case" to fraudulently claiming that it's a software problem. And now they've taken on the "if we ignore it maybe it'll go away" strategy. So no. I will never own an iPhone, even if they throw it after me.
    I think the defenders are getting very quiet... waiting to see what happens fri... praying for a miracle. Okay, not that drastic. lol

I'm not sure it matters, winmob 7 will be out soon and iphone nor adroide will matter. lol
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

They have dropped like a rock . . .
    Not sure why you'd suggest now is a good time to buy AAPL, given it's trading around only 9% off its 52 week high of $279.01. Maybe after the iPhone4 recall, when it really does drop "like a rock", but that hasn't happened yet.

Putting this into some context, Google are trading around 22% off their 52 week high of $629.51. Microsoft are trading around 20% off their 52 week high of $31.58. Apple are trading 9% off their 52 week high of $279.01. It's important that we keep these numbers in some kind of context.

Apple trades at a fairly high P/E ratio (21), pretty close to Google's (23), so there's lots of built in pressure on the stock so it tend to be reactive and fluctuates a bit. Also its volume is fairly high too (29M), so it's a well traded stock.

If there's a full iPhone4 recall, then yeah, AAPL will drop "like a rock". I'd expect something in the sub $200 mark, as this is a massive hit on the brand value and trust that Apple have built up over the years, but that hasn't happened yet.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by aeris View Post
    engadget thought it would be wise to offer some real world reviews, from folks using the iPhone4 in the wild. It's an interesting and fair article, that explores the external antenna issue -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/13/y...is-not-broken/

But for me I'll mostly likely give the iPhone4 a miss, even if I can't replicate the antenna issue when I check it out in the Telstra store. I just upgraded my 3G to the 3GS and I'm very happy there. Telstra dropped the 3GS pricing fairly heavily ($0 down, $49/mth, 200MB data, $400/mth of calls), so it was hard to resist at that price.

I still have my HTC Desire as the backup phone, mainly because I wanted to play on Android and it came with a $200.00 gift voucher too so I thought what the heck. It's a very nice device. Android is great.

With the iPad tablet, my iPhone is more a phone, music player, and camera now and not really used like I used it before I got the iPad tablet. The iPhone screen's just too small to do anything work related, easily. Love the way 1Password is synced up across all my devices, and it makes accessing work related sites fast for when you're out of the office.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    engadget thought it would be wise to offer some real world reviews, from folks using the iPhone4 in the wild. It's an interesting and fair article, that explores the external antenna issue -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/13/y...is-not-broken/
    It's really all relative to the reception in your area. If you have very good signal, it's not likely to have any major effect on your experience. In major metro areas, where most of the engadget staff are located, AT&T has very good reception (their only problem sometimes is that the network itself can be overloaded). But the moment you start using the phone in areas where you start off with perhaps only 2 bars, it's very possible that simply holding your phone "the wrong way" is going to drop calls or interrupt data sessions. This shouldn't happen.

I strongly disagree to the idea that they are bad I've just purchased 12 new iPhone's (4g) + contract for 12 months for me and my colleges so we can operate a 24/7 support desk.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    Not sure why you'd suggest now is a good time to buy AAPL, given it's trading around only 9% off its 52 week high of $279.01. Maybe after the iPhone4 recall, when it really does drop "like a rock", but that hasn't happened yet.

Putting this into some context, Google are trading around 22% off their 52 week high of $629.51. Microsoft are trading around 20% off their 52 week high of $31.58. Apple are trading 9% off their 52 week high of $279.01. It's important that we keep these numbers in some kind of context.

Apple trades at a fairly high P/E ratio (21), pretty close to Google's (23), so there's lots of built in pressure on the stock so it tend to be reactive and fluctuates a bit. Also its volume is fairly high too (29M), so it's a well traded stock.

If there's a full iPhone4 recall, then yeah, AAPL will drop "like a rock". I'd expect something in the sub $200 mark, as this is a massive hit on the brand value and trust that Apple have built up over the years, but that hasn't happened yet.
    Techart might have some research not quoted... not sure you made a case to not purchase apple stock at its current price... outside of repeating what is in most of the tech articles.

It takes a lot more research than looking at some pe ratios.

For example, some pundits have thrown out there that apple's stock is severely overvalued and should be between 150 and 190... I've read this for months now.

My take? It is like rolling dice. Even with all the research in the world, something beyond your control can popup and help or kill you (ie another hardware issue found).
    Last edited by hekwu; 07-15-2010 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwebhost View Post
    I strongly disagree to the idea that they are bad I've just purchased 12 new iPhone's (4g) + contract for 12 months for me and my colleges so we can operate a 24/7 support desk.
    Long as your entire support desk happens to be left handed, you should be okay.

Plus, you can give them training on how to not hold the phone with the "death grip."

Guess if they are at the pub and miss/hang up on calls, they have a GREAT excuse!!!

I hope that Apple works all the bugs and they are fair to their consumers.

http://www.searchlackey.com

Yes if you look at the google finance currently apple is at 249.19 -3.54 (-1.40%) for anyone interested in purchasing some stock you should. Today low was 247.635 it is going back up since apple annouced the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    . . . My take? It is like rolling dice. Even with all the research in the world, something beyond your control can popup and help or kill you (ie another hardware issue found).
    Yes, it's unpredictable for sure. Still, not sure now is the time to buy AAPL, using the iPhone4 recall as a catalyst for a bounce, capitalizing on an iPhone4 fix, this close to the 52 wk high.

My parents both got iPhones... I would still pick my Nexus One over it any day. Of course they are happy but not so much about the service just the fact they upgraded from their dinosaur phones.

I love the iPhone.. I won't use any other phone ever again.

This just confirms my choice to never buy an Apple product. I am glad I'm on Sprint and my Blackberry Bold works the way I like it
    Nothing here right now.

I have used many phones before and I love my IPhone. My thoughts on the whole matter is that Apple should not have tried and blamed the users. I do believe that a lot of people get the Iphone just for the status and really do not know how to use it.

My father being one of them but he at least went to the apple store and took a class.