hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : is getting a free domain name good?

Forum Jump

is getting a free domain name good?

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

is getting a free domain name good?

hi wht.

so i want to do a website, and got a free .tk domain name which i liked. I want your opinion on is it good or bad using a free domain name in terms of user and traffic and in terms of search engine seo since i never saw any website on the google main search page having a website using a free domain name except the offical .tk website.

i found out that my exact domain is available in .org, should i go for a .org one? or to have sucesss in a website have to register a .com or .net domain which i don't have many options of getting a good one.

im a beginner on this , so your inputs and suggestion are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old
Making Reliable Affordable

For SEO purposes, you should use .com, .net or .org. Google tends to not rank other tld's very well.

Also offering Windows Hosting with ASP.NET Multi PHP MSSQL Plesk

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

thanks for the input, so a .org should be just as good as a .com in terms of seo?

Sponsored Links
Old
Making Reliable Affordable

Sometimes I've come across .org's that ranked better than .com's. It all depends on how well you do your SEO.

Also offering Windows Hosting with ASP.NET Multi PHP MSSQL Plesk

Old
Disabled

I think free domain names like .tk is not a good option. In some countries, it's an untrusted domain name. So maybe traditional domain names like .com, .net, .org will be good for you. They're so cheap.

Old
Web Hosting Master

A lot of spammers use free domains to spam for a few days and then get caught and abandon it. Unfortunately, the .tk domains have been affected by this. I think that having a .tk domain will create the impression that you didn't think enough of your own website to even invest $10 in it for a "real" domain name.

I've also heard that .org domains might get an extra brownie point from the search engines - because they are supposed to be owned by mostly non-profit organizations whom you should hopefully trust more. But I've never really seen any proof of that.