hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : ipage uploading issues
Reply

Forum Jump

ipage uploading issues

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
tehsilentcircus tehsilentcircus is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3

ipage uploading issues


I have been using ipage for a couple months now and one problem I always seem to be having is when uploading files and overwriting the previous ones. However, after the upload I am not seeing the new content on the page. I have had this happen with my CSS files before and they informed me that it just takes a while on their servers. Now I am having major issues with this when dealing with Flash content.

I have contacted their customer service people about this earlier and they were no help. They merely told me to contact my ISP about clearing their cache and to clear my own browser cache, which I have already done. I have also already had people try viewing the website from a different computer and ISP and they see the seem thing as I do. So I do not believe that the customer service person knew anything about what they were saying and didn't understand my problem.

I was wondering if anyone out there uses ipage and has these issues with uploading or if this is just an issue that comes along with most web hosts.

I might add that when I upload the same files/directories to my school's secure crux server, I do not have any issues viewing the updated files/web pages instantly.

I have tried everything that I can think of, including simply deleting the files from the server and re-uploading them, but I still get the same results.

Any information would be appreciated because I am considering canceling with them because this headache is just not a good balance to its cheapness.



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Bihira Bihira is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 607
Try escalating the issue within their support department to see if you can get a fix or better answer. Otherwise, yea, maybe you should move.

__________________
bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

  #3  
Old 07-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Konrad4 Konrad4 is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,934
Is this when uploading through FTP or through iPage's control panel?

__________________
||||
|||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
||||

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 PM
FernGullyGraphics FernGullyGraphics is offline
Dependable Web Services
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Modesto, Ca. - USA
Posts: 5,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsilentcircus View Post
I have been using ipage for a couple months now and one problem I always seem to be having is when uploading files and overwriting the previous ones. However, after the upload I am not seeing the new content on the page. I have had this happen with my CSS files before and they informed me that it just takes a while on their servers. Now I am having major issues with this when dealing with Flash content.

I have contacted their customer service people about this earlier and they were no help. They merely told me to contact my ISP about clearing their cache and to clear my own browser cache, which I have already done. I have also already had people try viewing the website from a different computer and ISP and they see the seem thing as I do. So I do not believe that the customer service person knew anything about what they were saying and didn't understand my problem.

I was wondering if anyone out there uses ipage and has these issues with uploading or if this is just an issue that comes along with most web hosts.

I might add that when I upload the same files/directories to my school's secure crux server, I do not have any issues viewing the updated files/web pages instantly.

I have tried everything that I can think of, including simply deleting the files from the server and re-uploading them, but I still get the same results.

Any information would be appreciated because I am considering canceling with them because this headache is just not a good balance to its cheapness.
How are you uploading the files? Are you using FTP? Strange that they're support would tell you that the upload takes time (should be instant).

__________________
Fernando Diaz Alfaro - Owner of FernGullyGraphics
Shared and Reseller Web Hosting Services - Web Design - Domain Names
WHM/Cpanel - Cloud Linux - Varnish Cache - Wordpress - Magento - Site Builders
Click Here to Learn More About Our Services!- Check Out Our Youtube Channel

  #5  
Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 PM
TheChemist TheChemist is offline
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 1,385
Usually upload speeds depend on the speed your ISP allows you to upload, I could be wrong.

But if it was me having this issue and it was a regular occurrence I would backup, get a new host, have them install the backup, and then switch your nameservers. You'll have no downtime at all and won't have to worry about your upload issue!

  #6  
Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 AM
NexDog NexDog is offline
Web Hosting God
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Above The Clouds
Posts: 6,800
Well, if their support department is no help and you are still experiencing the problem having had it confirmed from different people in different locations then you have but one recourse.

Also ipage's service is based on quantity.

__________________
Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

  #7  
Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 AM
WebhostGIANT-Rob WebhostGIANT-Rob is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Also ipage's service is based on quantity.
How do you know this? Have you used them already?
I think that is not good at all to comment their business model in here.

__________________
WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

  #8  
Old 07-09-2010, 02:26 AM
NexDog NexDog is offline
Web Hosting God
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Above The Clouds
Posts: 6,800
What's wrong with a quantity based business model? It's a damn good business model. You post like it's bad thing and that's not on.

__________________
Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

  #9  
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
tehsilentcircus tehsilentcircus is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
How are you uploading the files? Are you using FTP? Strange that they're support would tell you that the upload takes time (should be instant).
I am uploading them using FTP. I was using FileZilla, then start using CuteFTP to see if that made a difference but it seems the same.

I have also tried by using their File Manager, which sucks by the way, but that is another topic.

I only have these uploading issues with CSS and now Flash (.swf) files. Everything uploads just fine if I make simple HTML changes and then upload them; I see instant changes in this case.

Even stranger is I can delete the file from server and then upload the new, updated file, but when I load the URL, it just brings up the same file from before; not even attempting to overwrite the original file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad4 View Post
Is this when uploading through FTP or through iPage's control panel?
Refer to my reply above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS-CB Matt View Post
Usually upload speeds depend on the speed your ISP allows you to upload, I could be wrong.

But if it was me having this issue and it was a regular occurrence I would backup, get a new host, have them install the backup, and then switch your nameservers. You'll have no downtime at all and won't have to worry about your upload issue!
I feel it has to be iPage because I can upload to my schools server with instant results easy as pie.


Last edited by tehsilentcircus; 07-09-2010 at 06:26 PM.
  #10  
Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
FernGullyGraphics FernGullyGraphics is offline
Dependable Web Services
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Modesto, Ca. - USA
Posts: 5,389
I know this has probably been asked already. However, are you sure you are uploading the CSS file into the same directory as the HTML page?

__________________
Fernando Diaz Alfaro - Owner of FernGullyGraphics
Shared and Reseller Web Hosting Services - Web Design - Domain Names
WHM/Cpanel - Cloud Linux - Varnish Cache - Wordpress - Magento - Site Builders
Click Here to Learn More About Our Services!- Check Out Our Youtube Channel

  #11  
Old 07-09-2010, 11:57 PM
TheChemist TheChemist is offline
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 1,385
Here is something you can try. It is a pain in the but but you can do it. Actually, you probably can't because you probably don't have SSH Access.

I was going to recommend you uploading the files to an offserver site and then just using wget. That would be a pain but if you are that concerned about how slow the upload is I think you would, Good luck!

  #12  
Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 AM
tehsilentcircus tehsilentcircus is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
I know this has probably been asked already. However, are you sure you are uploading the CSS file into the same directory as the HTML page?
Definitely.

  #13  
Old 04-06-2011, 06:00 PM
gregalo gregalo is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
same problem, but depends on my location

Right, I'm having the same exact problem. After I upload a file to my iPage server via Cyberduck (or Terminal), the old file persists on the web, typically for 30 minutes. I've emptied the cache, opened new browsers, checked to see if it's the right directory, etc. No mistakes. Plus, the file seems to appear after a while, like I said, 30 minutes.

Now, the weird thing is that I don't have this problem at work. I work at major university, presumably with very high bandwidth, if that matters. What's the heck is going on? It's crippling to not be able to make speedy edits from home. Please let me know if you find/found a solution.

Thanks!

  #14  
Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 PM
srfreeman srfreeman is offline
Web Hosting Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 544
Certainly someone here can recognize and understand the use of a cache.

  #15  
Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
gregalo gregalo is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
srfreeman, I'll assume you were genuinely trying to help (based on the tone implied by your history of previous comments, including this one), and thus, you will be able to explain this use of cache that is apparently independent of me emptying the cache manually through my browser settings, which I have already done, both in Chrome and Safari. To be precise, I did the following: (1) uploaded the new file to my server space, (2) emptied the cache in my browsers, and (3) entered the address of the new file in my browser. I still see the old file. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why not iPage ? bzgzd Web Hosting 30 10-12-2013 12:05 PM
ipage.com is the WORST lawless87 Web Hosting 33 07-16-2013 09:25 PM
iPage Review emckai Web Hosting 5 06-19-2010 10:16 PM
IPage stole $45 from me btalex1990 Web Hosting 13 05-11-2010 03:59 AM
PHP file uploading issues singhk Hosting Security and Technology 4 12-31-2004 08:05 AM

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Microsoft Reports Several Azure Disruptions in August Web Hosting News 2014-08-18 13:12:34
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - July 25, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-07-25 15:58:40
More Downtime for HostGator and BlueHost Customers as Router Issues Plague Utah Data Center Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:33:57
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - April 4, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:22
EIG Stocks Falter on First Day of Trading Web Hosting News 2013-10-25 15:44:55


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:
WHT Membership
WHT Membership



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?