Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Multiple full routes equipment suggestion?

I'm in search for this for a customer project, but the options and modules are so numerous from each manufacturer that it gets a bit crazy to specify anything. So, anyone could give suggestions of Layer 3 switches or Routers (any brand, or all brands possible, so we can make an useful list here in this topic) that can support multiple full routes for 3+ peers (transit and peering), now that the number of routes in the global BGP table has limited severely some models?

Juniper M-series would work, as would the J-series.

Yes, but what models and with which modules/linecards?

6500/S720-3bxl

Doing or planning to do IPv6 as well?
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Doing or planning to do IPv6 as well?
    Whomever isn't, should be banging the head in the wall at this point... ;-)
    Yes, sure. IPv6 for not needing to buy new equipment in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by iptelligent View Post
    Whomever isn't, should be banging the head in the wall at this point... ;-)
    Yes, sure. IPv6 for not needing to buy new equipment in the near future.
    Believe it or not alot of people are not even thinking about IPV6.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    6500/S720-3bxl
    I would also recommend this if you've got the space (6509 chassis is plentiful and cheap but it's a beast). It will take multiple full tables and handle IPv6 great, without dealing with the headaches of finding help and examples on the web.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by JTY View Post
    Juniper M-series would work, as would the J-series.
    The Juniper stuff is great, but it's not the best of you need a large port count. They do have modular (PIM) cards, but they don't have many interfaces. They work great for routing/aggregation/etc but not the best for customer facing use. The PIM cards are also very expensive.

Although, I love JunOS. Most network admins would agree its much better to work with than IOS.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I would also recommend this if you've got the space (6509 chassis is plentiful and cheap but it's a beast). It will take multiple full tables and handle IPv6 great, without dealing with the headaches of finding help and examples on the web.
    A 6503 or 6504 chassis is pretty inexpensive itself, if space is an issue.

Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

A 6503 or 6504 chassis is pretty inexpensive itself, if space is an issue.
    I got a 6509 here, but there are two worries on that:

1. I was insisted by more than one network engineer friend that it is highly sensitive to DoS attacks and normally sits down when the pps raises to some limit. They insisted I got a Juniper or other thing except Cisco or Foundry.

2. The SUP720 and the 10GE modules for 6500 series are quite expensive even in the gray market.

I got my 6509-e/S720-3BXL for just $13K.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

1. I was insisted by more than one network engineer friend that it is highly sensitive to DoS attacks and normally sits down when the pps raises to some limit. They insisted I got a Juniper or other thing except Cisco or Foundry.

2. The SUP720 and the 10GE modules for 6500 series are quite expensive even in the gray market.
    1. Yes, everything has a limit. If properly configured I doubt you'll ever hit that limit. We use 6500's throughout our network now and have gotten 10+ Gbit/sec DDoS's that haven't affected anything.

2. If you think they're expensive for the 6500 you don't even want to consider looking at a Juniper... The Juniper will certainly be more expensive, especially if you're looking at 10 GigE.

Now, I love Juniper gear, JunOS is great, and if they were cheaper I'd have a boatload of them. Right now, we're actually looking into a re-engineering of our network to get some Junipers back in the core.

Your not going to find anything cheaper to handle full routes other than a vyatta box than a 3bxl. And also do 10G.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Now, I love Juniper gear, JunOS is great, and if they were cheaper I'd have a boatload of them. Right now, we're actually looking into a re-engineering of our network to get some Junipers back in the core.
    We are in the same boat, Junipers chassis are cheap its their line cards that cost the money.

With that being said the MX series are making out to have a nice price point.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Has the price of the 3bxl's on the grey market gone up recently?

I recall paying around $6k - $7k each a couple years back, now they seem to be 10k and upwards.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

The prices are constantly fluctuating on 3BXL's. It used to be $10K then they came down to around 6K, now they are around $8k-$9K.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    The prices are constantly fluctuating on 3BXL's. It used to be $10K then they came down to around 6K, now they are around $8k-$9K.
    They had peaked around 14k a few months back and have been steadily falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    We are in the same boat, Junipers chassis are cheap its their line cards that cost the money.

With that being said the MX series are making out to have a nice price point.
    The MX80 looks fantastic. I thought it was in the $30K range, have you seen something different?
    iCall Carrier Services - Carrier-grade VoIP services from a licensed CLEC - http://carriers.icall.com
    Domestic termination and origination, toll-free origination, A-Z International termination, dedicated servers, and colocation in our wholly-owned datacenter
    Real-time ordering via our control panel or XML-based API with over 20,000 numbers in stock

If you don't require 10 GE at this time, then the M-series are quiet reasonably priced and are fantastic. You can use the SFP modules, or even the older SX-Bs that are significantly cheaper and use a switch to do any media conversion or VLAN trunking.

Look at the M7i or M10i. Just keep in mind Juniper re-certification is possible, but very costly. If you can live with grey market, then you can get good deals.
    iCall Carrier Services - Carrier-grade VoIP services from a licensed CLEC - http://carriers.icall.com
    Domestic termination and origination, toll-free origination, A-Z International termination, dedicated servers, and colocation in our wholly-owned datacenter
    Real-time ordering via our control panel or XML-based API with over 20,000 numbers in stock

Quote Originally Posted by voipcarrier View Post
    If you don't require 10 GE at this time, then the M-series are quiet reasonably priced and are fantastic. You can use the SFP modules, or even the older SX-Bs that are significantly cheaper and use a switch to do any media conversion or VLAN trunking.

Look at the M7i or M10i. Just keep in mind Juniper re-certification is possible, but very costly. If you can live with grey market, then you can get good deals.
    I agree with that, just be careful when using generic/non-juniper SFPs. I got burned by using one because the Junipers ones were over twice the price and I figured any one would work.

The M-series is solid. I've used them as core devices in several networks and never had a problem. Like everyone said, the PIM cards are expensive though...

Quote Originally Posted by skullbox View Post
    I agree with that, just be careful when using generic/non-juniper SFPs. I got burned by using one because the Junipers ones were over twice the price and I figured any one would work.

The M-series is solid. I've used them as core devices in several networks and never had a problem. Like everyone said, the PIM cards are expensive though...
    I don't remember who makes Junipers SFPs, but I've never had an issue with third-party ones (usually Finisar optics I think). Just get one that has the EEPROM burned with Juniper info.

Also, PIMs are for J-series. M-series uses PE modules. They are certainly more expensive than comparable modules for a 6500 series for example - but it's not really an apples to apples comparison. A very simple and cost effective solution is to get a couple of GE interfaces like a PE-1GE-SX-B, which is around $1K, and use VLAN tagging into a switch to run multiple links. As you grow, you can move to SFP modules or whatever else you want directly into the router.

i would suggest XMR8000 series from Brocade/Foundry Networks...

good quality vs cost ratio..

Quote Originally Posted by nvieira View Post
    i would suggest XMR8000 series from Brocade/Foundry Networks...

good quality vs cost ratio..
    Huh? The chassis only is $13k.

Huh? The chassis only is $13k.
    well, i don't buy just the chassis anyway :-)

usually, filled with 10GE's and 1GE's... in the end is not expensive comparing with J or C vendors...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast