hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : VMWare ESXi

Forum Jump

VMWare ESXi

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Question

VMWare ESXi

I was looking to get a dedicated server that I could run development on (SVN etc) while running a cPanel installation on another VM for a very small number of clients. I believe the best solution here would be to use ESXi over solutions like OpenVZ. Has anyone had experience with using ESXi in a production environment?

The VMs I am looking to run are:

- 1 x cPanel with ~10 clients
- 1 x Development server (SVN, Python, and MySQL)
and possibly
- 1 x Test deployment server (Python, MySQL)

Additionally, would a Dual-Core Atom 330 at 1.6 Ghz w/ 2GB RAM offer enough horsepower?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Web Hosting Master

The ESXi license is for testing only, it is not licensed for hosting clients like you are wanting to do.

Openvz may actually be the easiest solution for you since you can share the resources among the VPS easily.

That is a pretty low powered machine it just depends on how busy those cPanel clients will be.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 AM

Thanks for clarifying that with me. Sounds like I'll be using OpenVZ.

EDIT:

After doing a bit more research, it appears ESXi is truly free now (not under an evaluation license as eth00 indicated).

Last edited by kg4mxz; 07-07-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 AM
The Guru!

Consider upgrading to some quad core processor atleast. ATOM will be too much underpowered if you clients on cpanel use more resources. A small premium price for quad core over ATOM for your needs is recommended.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I recommend that you use XEN, it is redistributed under the GNU GPL, unlike vmware exsi. And so, as XEN is a paravirtualization it works faster than OpenVZ.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 PM
cloud beats dedicated ;)

Use VMWare - its the best for the tools and management. There are some really cool things coming as well. There are providers that will give you a copy of the full version for free on the server. just do your research.

Its a great product and cpanel runs very well on it - I have tested cpanel on esx (vsphere 4.0) extensively.

Isn't it time to get off of dedicateds?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Use VMWare - its the best for the tools and management. There are some really cool things coming as well. There are providers that will give you a copy of the full version for free on the server. just do your research.

Its a great product and cpanel runs very well on it - I have tested cpanel on esx (vsphere 4.0) extensively.
I agree VMware is the way to go. I know ESXi is free, but I think its terms of service state you can't use it for hosting. Not sure on that. I'd use it anyways

Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM
cloud beats dedicated ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbox View Post
I agree VMware is the way to go. I know ESXi is free, but I think its terms of service state you can't use it for hosting. Not sure on that. I'd use it anyways
you can get the full version with private access to vcenter for free from providers - so who cares between esxi - go with the real deal. Plus - you know how much a copy of vcenter is? that alone for free is WELL worth it.

Isn't it time to get off of dedicateds?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll see about providers for VMWare, but right now, its a toss-up. This: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=962233 is the exact use case if it helps