What is the difference between dedicated server hosting and VPS Hosting?

Hello everyone my name is Lacey,

I wanted to know what the difference was between dedicated server hosting and VPS hosting? My current hosting is running out of space and the company is suggesting that I move to a dedicated or VPS hosting environment.

If someone could let me know that would be very helpful.

Thanks for your help,

Lacey

With both the VPS and dedicated servers, you have full control over the entire server environment. You can add users, install any software, configure it anyway you want to.

The big difference is with VPS, your entire server environment is on a single physical machine along with other people's server environments. Nobody can access each other's environments. But you are sharing physical resources -- hard disk, memory, CPU.

With a dedicated server, your server environment is on a single physical machine with no one else. So you get all the physical resources (hard disk, memory, CPU) to yourself.

Either way, you said your hosting is running out of space...how much space are you being given? Why not just upgrade plans to a bigger shared plan? What kind of traffic and what not are you seeing on a weekly basis?
    Carolina-Host - The final stop for ALL your web site needs!
    US & EU Datacenters | 100% Money back Guarantee | 99.9% Uptime | Weekly Site Backups
    cPanel w/ Softaculous | Webalizer/Awstats | Site.Pro Website Builder | Lite Speed
    Poarch & Associates - Accounting, Tax Preparation, & Payroll Services since 1985

A VPS is a server which is partitioned and split between a few customers. This usually is less expensive than a dedicated server. Please tell us your detailed needs and we can recommend you what to do.
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I think this might be of a little help to you http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/Main_Page

Just go through it and you can find all the details that you are looking for. And I hope it will give you an idea about your questions, clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by laceyh12 View Post
    Hello everyone my name is Lacey,

I wanted to know what the difference was between dedicated server hosting and VPS hosting? My current hosting is running out of space and the company is suggesting that I move to a dedicated or VPS hosting environment.

If someone could let me know that would be very helpful.

Thanks for your help,

Lacey

Lacey, as far as meeting your needs they are fairly similar, just a VPS is more affordable. However, if you are growing, getting into a dedicated server will allow you more time for your growth as upgrades in drive size, ram availability will be easier to manage in a Dedicated server versus VPS. If the growth is slower and not a huge concern over the next year or so, then a VPS may be the more affordable route.

Am going to keep this simple, you have all have all the same features as you do on a dedicated server a vps is in a shared environment were dedicated server is not a vps is a good way to learn before you move on to a server.

VPS is a good way to startup a business for shared and reseller accounts (Direactmin or CPanel accounts). Once you'll need more power, like for big databases, you should upgrade to a dedicated server. Having a hosting control panel can help a lot when it's time to move.

VPS or Virtual Private Server is in a shared environment but will provide you with many of the same features and functionality of a dedicated server. With a Dedicated server it is just that. Dedicated to you. Not a shared environment allowing to have benefit from exclusive use of all of the particular server's resources.

If you are just starting out a VPS plan can be a good option for you that you can easily upgrade if and when the time comes.
    ~ Webair Managed Cloud Servers ~ Dedicated Servers ~ Advanced CDN Network ~ Enterprise / Managed Hosting ~ ICANN Accredited Registrar ~ Multiple Data Center Locations - New York, Amsterdam, LA, & Montreal ~
    ~ SKYPE/AIM: WebairGH - TWITTER - @WEBAIRINC - EMAIL: sales@webair.com

My current space is 1GB and I my current bandwidth usage is 10Mb per month. I am looking at these options so that I can start sending out blast emails to all my clients and potential clients.

My current space is 1GB and I my current bandwidth usage is 10Mb per month. I am looking at these options so that I can start sending out blast emails to all my clients and potential clients.
    You don't need a VPS or dedicated when you're only using 1gb and 10mb per month...who is your web host?!?!
    Carolina-Host - The final stop for ALL your web site needs!
    US & EU Datacenters | 100% Money back Guarantee | 99.9% Uptime | Weekly Site Backups
    cPanel w/ Softaculous | Webalizer/Awstats | Site.Pro Website Builder | Lite Speed
    Poarch & Associates - Accounting, Tax Preparation, & Payroll Services since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by ipotweb View Post
    You don't need a VPS or dedicated when you're only using 1gb and 10mb per month...who is your web host?!?!
    Thanks for your concern but I do not care to mention them I found them when I was just starting off 2 years ago. I can say that there customer service has been the best I have ever had though. I used to use hostingmyway.ca and they are no longer in business.

I would like to thank everyone for there help! Does anyone know of any good hosting companies that are offering low cost dedicated servers?

I would like to thank everyone for there help! Does anyone know of any good hosting companies that are offering low cost dedicated servers?
    I recommend opening a new topic, since this topic is mainly about the difference between a dedicated servers and virtual private server.

You may open a new topic and community will definitely be able to help you out.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

Lacey,

How many members are in your blast Emails? How often do you send them? And is it opt-in?

Well, if you are planning of getting multiple VPS then better bit is to go with Dedicated and get multiple VPS on it.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    Well, if you are planning of getting multiple VPS then better bit is to go with Dedicated and get multiple VPS on it.
    Unless the VPS's are on Cloud.