Smile Server Recommendation

Hello,

To cut the story short, I am currently hosted with Slicebox. Originally, they posted an offer for $99/month on WHT. The specs were good, low hops, acceptable latencies and fast speed. A couple of downtimes due to network issues, negligible though. Pushing a constant 100Mbps throughput can be easily achieved.

However, they decided to upped the pricing to $129/month for whatever reasons. Although even at $129/month is a steal, I do not like to be tied down to a contract even if it's quarterly or 3 months. A contract would means even if the service were to suck in future after payment, I do not have an option to switch.

With that, can anyone recommend me something else that is similar to that of mine currently. Thanks!

Quoted from their email that I received:

Due to certain conditions we had to increase our Class-A server prices from 21st June onwards to a price of $129 a month for the base server. The prices are effective for your next invoice.

However to honor low price of $99 a month, we had setup a quarterly / half year / yearly plans where quarterly plan costs $299 for 3 months of service. This comes to low cost of 99 a month over the period of 3months.

To enjoy low prices you have the choice of shifting to quarterly plans where your next invoice will be made for a quarterly payment of $299 , if you like to switch, please open up a support ticket and the change will be made within 24hrs, if your renew is coming up this week itself you must act fast within 24hrs so that correct invoice will be generated.

Well my first recommendation would be to state what your preference is in datacenter location, the specs your current box is & what you would like them to be, etc... before anyone could recommended you something.

Hello,

Supermicro Platform
    i3-530 4x2.93Ghz
    4GB DDR3-1333 Ram
    1TB WD Black Disk
    Remote Reboot / Remote KVM (IPMI 2.0)
    100Mbps Dedicated Bandwidth
    Unmetered Bandwidth (33TB IN+33TB Out)
    5 IP Address Included

The above is what is being offered by Slicebox.

I dont really need a QC cpu
    If the datacentre is in Fremont CA (West Coast HE.Net) it would be better.

Is the bandwidth good? You will be hard pressed to find such a deal with unmetered bandwidth. Whatever you do, avoid FDC as they have some issues with quality control among other things.

i don't think you can get unmetered T $99/mo....
    perhaps you can try to contact FDC or burstnet personally to see what you can get.
    ControlVM Technology
    SSD KVM VPSOpenVZ VPSXen VPS Hosted PBX ● Hosted VoIP VPS
    5 locations: USA (Los Angeles - - Phoenix) ● Germany Malaysia Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bluedrop View Post
    Hello,

Supermicro Platform
    i3-530 4x2.93Ghz
    4GB DDR3-1333 Ram
    1TB WD Black Disk
    Remote Reboot / Remote KVM (IPMI 2.0)
    100Mbps Dedicated Bandwidth
    Unmetered Bandwidth (33TB IN+33TB Out)
    5 IP Address Included

The above is what is being offered by Slicebox.

I dont really need a QC cpu
    If the datacentre is in Fremont CA (West Coast HE.Net) it would be better.
    It maybe hard finding a server with unmetered bandwidth for the price you were offered at the other company. But for around $200 a month, you can get 100TB bandwidth, twice the amount of ram, and a quad core processor from 100TB.

But for a lower price solution, BurstNet would be your best choice.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

What about Swiftway? Anyone have any bad/good experience with them?

I find it weird that they don't give refunds though. Sounds shady.

I find it weird that they don't give refunds though. Sounds shady.
    We have found that a refund policy on dedicated servers gets abused a lot. Since we decided 4 years ago to change this policy, and as a result not offer refunds on dedicated servers, the abuse rate dropped to near zero.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Primary locations: Netherlands, Chicago, Bay Area, Miami and New York.
    Support response time within 15 minutes 24x7 low priced dedicated servers available on Swiftway Serverdeals

Hey swiftnoc,

Do you still have stock for the one you posted in the Dedicated Hosting Offers section?

* ATOMD510 dual core 1,66 ghz
    * 2 gigabyte DDRII-800
    * 2 x 500 gigabyte SATA II HDD

* 5 IPs in your own subnet
    * Free remote reboots
    * Debian, Centos or FreeBSD installe

Hey swiftnoc,
    Do you still have stock for the one you posted in the Dedicated Hosting Offers section?
    You can contact Swiftway at sales@swiftway.co.uk for any presale questions you might have. Thank you.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Primary locations: Netherlands, Chicago, Bay Area, Miami and New York.
    Support response time within 15 minutes 24x7 low priced dedicated servers available on Swiftway Serverdeals

I already did.

This is what they told me.

I cannot check if we have a stock. Our deployment and implementation team assigns boxes to customers. A word of advice is: if you cannot wait 10 business days, then do not order the server.
    If you like to order a server, we need all your details and a phone number we can contact you on. Our billing department will process the order on Monday between 9:00 and 17:00 CET - they call you to verify the order, then issue the invoice.
    So how do I order if they can't even confirm this even when the ad is on WHT?

So how do I order if they can't even confirm this even when the ad is on WHT?
    Swiftway has a stock of servers. But we cannot guarantee that your payment is made on time, to be sure that you will have a server assigned out of that stock. Over the weekend, we always have a lot of orders. Our billing department will process these orders on monday and when payment for a order is made, the order is moved to our implementation team.

They will assign the servers on a first come first served basis.
    The ad clearly shows a setup time from 3 to 15 business days. If the server is in stock once your payment is processed, you will probably have the server actually within 1 to 5 business days. If the server is not in stock you will probably look at 5 to 15 business days. The specific server you want can be guaranteed delivered within 10 business days.
    It looks like the Swiftway sales representative was very clear on what you should expect.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 07-04-2010 at 05:20 AM.

The deal you have over at slice looks pretty impressive. Will they not allow you month to month? 100Mbps unmetered for $129 will be tough to beat but let us know what you find. To me $29 per month is not worth the effort of the move.
    Steve Eschweiler- DOO
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data center.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

14. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!