Is this too much?

Hi guys,

I have been monitoring a clients VM over the past 24 hours, and the client is consistantly using between 2.5Ghz - 4Ghz CPU on our node.

Graph: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6817/cpum.png

I have sent an email requesting for the client to fix the issue and lower CPU usage but do you guys think it is an acceptable amount of CPU or not?

Personally I think not because of the other clients on the VPS.

Thanks for any views.

I personally dont think that it's fair that they use up to 4Ghz while other people are way lower. I would look into limiting the accounts to all use max XGhz, that way everyone gets the same fair amount.

It's probably not fair for other customers, but do you have any clause in your TOS that reserves you the right to suspend service for excessive use of resources?

Depends on what the clients paying and total node resources/cost. I would do the math and determine the cost efficiency of the client
    \\\\ High Performance Business Grade LiteSpeed Hosting
    //// Shared \|/ Reseller \|/ Dedicated \|/ Custom Tailored Solutions \|/ Domains \|/ SSL Certs
    \\\\ get WIRED \|/ general(AT)wiredwebwork.com \|/ 240-670-HOST
    //// True Quality 24/7 support(Chat, Email, Ticket) 9-5 est. phone support

Ya what are you actually providing them? Do they only get 1GHz or do you even have a limit here?
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

If this is shared hosting, yes, it's too much. Contact them and make an offer to upgrade to a VPS or dedicated.

I think it would depend on what the customer is getting.
    They call me the bread baker

Quote Originally Posted by Atarim View Post
    If this is shared hosting, yes, it's too much. Contact them and make an offer to upgrade to a VPS or dedicated.
    He said that he is monitoring the clients VM...
    The Simple Host Ltd - Premium Quality European Web Hosting - Uptime Stats
    Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    15-Day Money Back Guarantee, Nightly Backups, Installatron, Softaculous, RVSiteBuilder PRO, Instant Setup - All as standard!
    Call (+44) 0845 300 9066 for more information.

they must be running some intensive scripts. I think imposing a limit is fair.

You show do what many others said and put a limit on the CPU that a account can use and enter it into your ToS and you should be good for the feature.

The cause for the load was a program called Sick Submitter, which I believe is a SEO tool.

The client contacted me within minutes of sending an email and immediately rectified the issue, now I see that he is using no more than 1Ghz which is pretty decent, the CPU capacity is 4 x 2.86Ghz = 11.44Ghz, so 4Ghz is a hell of a chunk of that and the client only pays £7.50 per month, the node costs me £90 a month.

I am quite happy to leave the TOS as it is, we have extremely good relationships with our current clients and have no problems usually, as I say he rectified it immediately so no real issue.

If I place CPU limits on the clients it leaves no room for a sudden short term burst, for example if they need to install additional software but they are using their CPU capacity it would cause downtime if they had to stop services to install the software, so I am happy for them to have a higher load every now and then (is that a good or bad thing lol?)

Isn't the whole point of virtualization that your customers can use extra CPU *if* it's available.
    If nobody else is using the CPU then he should be able to use it, but if another customer demands power the virtualization layer should take some resources away and divide them fairly.

I think you should send another notification and still if don't respond and correct away the things then its good to suspend the account..

Barry please read my last post, as I say I am happy for them to use it, just that a continuous 4Ghz does cause problems for other users because it is not available for use.

And please read mine; The way most Virtualization packages work is ensuring a minimum amount of CPU power (for example 1 Ghz) for all customers and allowing a customer to burst over that if the resources are there (for example to 4 Ghz) Basically the user would be throttled down to 1 Ghz if other users are using their share.

What I'm saying is that it should not be needed to ask the customer to change anything, if other customers are affected then something might not be setup properly. I'm no expert on VMWare, which is what you are using, but I can't imagine that it can't divide resources like Xen and Virtuozzo.

Obviously the situation got sorted, just offering you a point of view..
    You should not have to worry about this because that's VMWare's job.

Quote Originally Posted by fast_fusion View Post
    Barry please read my last post, as I say I am happy for them to use it, just that a continuous 4Ghz does cause problems for other users because it is not available for use.
    Can I ask what type of consensus you are trying to get here from the forum then?
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

I'm interested to know where you can get a Dual Quad Core node for 90 quid.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Those type of resources would need to be limited to protect the other users on the server. Have you looked into what they are doing on the server, because that sounds pretty fishy for a Shared Server. I would check your mail queue and make sure they have not set up a script for mass mailing (spamming).

Hi,

What type of website is the customer hosting? The server might be hacked if the customer is not hosting a resource intensive website.

Yes it is too much. I dont think it is fair on your other clients.

Try upgrading them to dedicated or limit their usage so everyone gets the same quota.
    Hydro Host – Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting – Reseller Hosting – Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net