hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Game Servers : How many game-servers can this server run?

Forum Jump

How many game-servers can this server run?

Reply Post New Thread In Game Servers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 05:01 AM
WHT Addict

How many game-servers can this server run?

Hello everybody,

I am about to buy this server box:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200(Quad core)
8 GB DDR2 800 Memory
250 GB SATA Hard Drive
5 IP Addresses (will buy more, since I will be selling the game-servers)
100 MBPS / 6,000 GB (3,000 IN and 3,000 OUT)

I want to know how many 32 slot (if possible, 500fps) Counter-Strike 1.6 servers can I run without lag?

I of course do not want to oversell, but do not want to buy another box when I have a lot of free space.

Tell me what you think.

Oh and by the way, my OS will be: centos 5.4

Last edited by BLUEPEPSi; 06-15-2010 at 05:15 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Web Hosting Master

I'd say 9-10 would be a safe number

Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret - dediShack View Post
I'd say 9-10 would be a safe number
And that is 500fps, correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPEPSi View Post
And that is 500fps, correct?
Sorry, I'd overlooked that. The best way to find out is to test and monitor, it's not always the same for everyone as different configurations etc can behave differently. So just start placing the servers on and keep an eye on server usage :-)

Old 06-15-2010, 05:22 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret - dediShack View Post
Sorry, I'd overlooked that. The best way to find out is to test and monitor, it's not always the same for everyone as different configurations etc can behave differently. So just start placing the servers on and keep an eye on server usage :-)
Well, at least I have an approximated number.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 AM
WHT Addict

I beleive you are looking at about 250/300 slots for a server like that server, but remember if you have server with lots of mods that will be reduced due to RAM usage,

Its down to how many slots the server can serve, not how many servers it can run, you can run 100 32 man servers at 500fps but the problem is when they start to get full.
I suggest some testing when you get the server with as many people as possible to test it out.

You also do not need lots of IP's unless you want each customer to have a seperate IP, you can just specify a different port for each server, you could then sell a dedicated IP for their server at an additional cost.

Hope that helps

Regards

Rob

Linux Shared Hosting | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Domain Registration

Old 06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH-Rob View Post
I beleive you are looking at about 250/300 slots for a server like that server, but remember if you have server with lots of mods that will be reduced due to RAM usage,

Its down to how many slots the server can serve, not how many servers it can run, you can run 100 32 man servers at 500fps but the problem is when they start to get full.
I suggest some testing when you get the server with as many people as possible to test it out.

You also do not need lots of IP's unless you want each customer to have a seperate IP, you can just specify a different port for each server, you could then sell a dedicated IP for their server at an additional cost.

Hope that helps

Regards

Rob
Thanks for the IP advice, but I like my customers to have their own IPs for their own servers. And did you mean 10 32 man servers at 500fps?

Old 06-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

I believe you can configure the cs-server to bind on a different port, so multiple servers can run on a single IP using different port numbers.
Be reasonable and save ipv4 addresses, they are running low.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:16 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLinx View Post
I believe you can configure the cs-server to bind on a different port, so multiple servers can run on a single IP using different port numbers.
Yes your right, you can configure each server to use a different port, meaning you can host as many servers as you like per IP, I personally think giving each customer a different IP is a waste of money as the OP will be paying for each IP, so increasing costs and decreasing profits. (just my opinion)

Old 06-15-2010, 06:11 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLinx View Post
I don't know of one company that doesn't offer an unique IP for each game-server.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPEPSi View Post
Thanks for the IP advice, but I like my customers to have their own IPs for their own servers. And did you mean 10 32 man servers at 500fps?
No.. what he means is 100 32 man servers. If they're empty, they're not going to consume the same resources as if they were full. So you could run 100 32 man servers empty, but when they fill you'll find how many total slots (players) can be on at once with your setup.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:35 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawton View Post
No.. what he means is 100 32 man servers. If they're empty, they're not going to consume the same resources as if they were full. So you could run 100 32 man servers empty, but when they fill you'll find how many total slots (players) can be on at once with your setup.
Oh okay, I see now. Thanks for replying on topic.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 PM
WHT Addict

What do you mean you dont know one company that doesnt offer an ip address for each server. Thats a waste of ip blocks. Most companys just change the port number on each server i have to idea where you got the idea everyone gives out a unique ip to each customer.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:35 AM

Personally I wouldnt run more than about 250 slots. I would also use Debian and not CentOS. Will you be hosting a cpanel or anything from this box as well? I recommend not installing any apache/lighttpd/mysql stuff on it and ensure that the OS doesnt have it preloaded as well

Old 06-17-2010, 03:42 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanhz View Post
What do you mean you dont know one company that doesnt offer an ip address for each server. Thats a waste of ip blocks. Most companys just change the port number on each server i have to idea where you got the idea everyone gives out a unique ip to each customer.
I agree, not many GSP companies provide an IP per customer, I just searched through a few companies I know and not one of them provides an IP each. I am sure some of the smaller companies do but it will reduce your profits, the only reason I see to provide a personal IP per customer is if they are reselling the service.

Rob