What are some good cloud storage solutions?

I'm looking for a few cloud storage solutions similar to S3. I don't have big budget but I'm just browsing the market now. I'm not looking for an online service like S3, I'm looking for something that I can put on my own servers for cloud storage.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 3picFail View Post
    I'm looking for a few cloud storage solutions similar to S3. I don't have big budget but I'm just browsing the market now. I'm not looking for an online service like S3, I'm looking for something that I can put on my own servers for cloud storage.

Thank you.
    I'm a little confused.. can you explain that one again?

You mean you want a way of using your own servers to create a small cloud / cluster?
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

Rereading my post it probably isn't that clear. I'm looking for a cloud storage solution that I can host on my own servers, not a service that I buy online like S3 or rackspace cloudfiles but similar to those.

Quote Originally Posted by 3picFail View Post
    Rereading my post it probably isn't that clear. I'm looking for a cloud storage solution that I can host on my own servers, not a service that I buy online like S3 or rackspace cloudfiles but similar to those.
    How much storage? What kind of application? Does it need to be local? Still not enough info.

At first it will be small probably 12-24TB. It will be for general storage eventually VM's and backups. If by local you mean local servers then yes.

What's "general".

Well I guess it will be used for internet accessible storage with buckets or something similar like S3.

Aside from providers that have developed their own solution (Amazon, Nirvanix, Rackspace, etc.), many of the "cloud storage" offerings from hosting companies are based on one of the following commercial platforms:

Parascale
    Mezeo
    EMC Atmos

Certainly EMC is the most stable company here; it appears Parascale may be on the ropes:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06...ale_shrinking/

Since you're cost sensitive and coming in with a very low amount of storage, I'm not sure if any of these will fit your needs with regards to pricing (though Parascale appears to have a free version on their site for up to 4TB of storage). There are a few open source alternatives, though you probably won't find much production usage of them yet.

Cleversafe Community Edition (*)
    Eucalyptus Walrus

I have read something about a company called TwistedStorage having an open source cloud storage offering, but I don't know much about them.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you're really talking about two different types of storage here. "Cloud storage solutions similar to S3" is tier 2 storage, not tier 1. You wouldn't want to run VMs off tier 2 storage.

(*) Disclaimer: I know the founder/CEO of Cleversafe and had some discussions regarding the product very early in it's development, but I have no vested interest in it.
    Last edited by lockbull; 06-12-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added info

Thanks, I'll take a look at those.

i think rackspace is good for cloud hosting service