Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Simple cronjob

If you want to send him an email at set times every day, you can use this.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    //MDJ2000's extremely complicated emailer :P
    //Define the variables below and save this file as mailer.php and put it in an off-root folder, then point a cronjob to it

$jerksemail "thejerk@rippedmeoff.com"//define the offenders email address here
    $subject "Show Me the Money"//insert your own subject here
    $message "Dear Jerk!\n\nYou owe me $90!!!"//obviously this is the main text

mail("$jerksemail","$subject","$message");
    ?>

MDJ2000, it takes one line in the .filter to kill that baby.

I know that silly, but that's what he asked for. I can add some nifty randomization, but then it becomes spamware, and I can't have that

Re: Simple cronjob

Originally posted by MDJ2000
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    //MDJ2000's extremely complicated emailer :P
    //Define the variables below and save this file as mailer.php 
    //and put it in an off-root folder, then point a cronjob to it

$jerksemail "thejerk@rippedmeoff.com"//define the offenders email address here
    $subject "Show Me the Money"//insert your own subject here
    $message "[b]Dear Jerk!\n\nYou owe me $90!!!<b>If you want to send him an email at set times every day, you can use this.

</b>"
    //obviously this is the main text

mail("$jerksemail","$subject","$message");
    ?>
    [/B]
    Not sure if I am right because I use Perl, but should it be \$90?
    - Andy
    Free browser based game:
    http://www.critticage.com
    Play in your spare time!

Technically, yes, but that should work. Being technical, you really should also send headers, etc.

hence the "//MDJ2000's extremely complicated emailer " part...

Well, he would look pretty stupid sending an email saying "Dear Jerk!\n\nYou owe me !!!"
    - Andy
    Free browser based game:
    http://www.critticage.com
    Play in your spare time!

Yeah, I feel your pain Vito!

I have now got a policy of no payment, no product

I used to let people have a template or whatever and then trust they would send payment ASAP - but after being totally burned by some one (not from this forum mind you) I now ask them to pay before I hand over the goods. (I give them screenshots to view with watermarks so they know what they are getting).

It just really annoys me that there are people like this out there!

Hmm. It appears that my elusive friend Edward visited WHT last night. First time he has visited since starting his thread http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=93317 . Likely to read the replies he received in his thread. So he's still alive and kicking. That's good.

So how about it, Edward? Let's see you accept some responsibility and make good on your debt. Is this all really worth it to save a mere $90?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I'll give his 1-800 number a call... I'll act interested, then ask him about his practices... that'll make him think a bit

I'm serious too.. I'll call him tomorrow, and get a couple friends to call him. Hope it helps vito

BTW, I love your tutorials... When you getting the ensim app done? And you should make a .htaccess demo.. although I guess there's not much video needed for that..
    www.neo-tech.us

- Computer Sales/Repair/Networking
    - Web Design/Web Hosting

Thanks, Lirath. Nice to get support from my fellow WHT members.

The Ensim Site Admin tutorials are already done. The Appliance Admin, Reseller Admin and End User Admin are coming soon (hopefully within a week). Frankly, Ensim has been the toughest cp to do so far...taking a little bit longer than usual.

And BTW, Lirath, sorry you're not on the MOTM list this month. We'll do our best to get you on the list next month...

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Unfortunetly my friend,there are jerks out there.....

If you have his #,post it everywhere (hehehe) Dont let him get away with that!!

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Well, I had all but given up on this A/R. But 2 days ago, out of the blue, I received a telephone call from Edward. He said he would be sending payment the next day by overnight courier which I would receive today.

Well, I just received a courier delivery. Full payment in certified funds as promised. Plus he added an extra $10 as a gesture of apology.

Edward, I appreciate the payment.

Vito

That's good to hear.
    All's well that ends well.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Vito,
    Glad this guy finally stepped up to the plate. I've too been burned by not getting the cash up front...its a shame, but I'm glad this worked out to your benefit.

Originally posted by vito
    You know, this makes me more disappointed than angry. Sometimes I'm just amazed at what dollar figure some people are prepared to compromise their integrity and name.

Vito
    Doesn't surprise me at all. There is a certain type of person who gets off thinking he got something for nothing. I've learned the hard way that it's the little amounts that you've got to insist on getting up front.
    I'm trying to collect $50 now from a big company that I agreed to do a simple design for $100.
    Got half of front and they stiffed me for the other half.
    I have a signed contract that requires full payment whether they accept the final or not, but since they're halfway across the country doesn't do me much good. I'm tempted to send a collection agency after them just for the nuisance value.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

Life is full of lessons. The key is whether we learn from them...

Vito

Don't drink and park. Mistakes make people.

Vito:

I just wanted to thank you for the heads up! Edward Upton found me a couple days ago, and wanted me to do a site redesign for Kytec.com. I ran across this thread today, and found it to be very informative. I decided to email Infocreek (the design company that designed his current site). I found out from them that they are having issues getting $1,300 for the design services they provided.

So based on his track record, I decided to pass on his project.

Thanks Again!

Greg

Vito:

Im glad he finally paid you,maybe he didnt mean to rip you off (We'd like to think he didnt)

The Dude

Gr0up hugz

Was it necessary to bring a 6 month old thread back? Nope.

Originally posted by VeroHost
    Was it necessary to bring a 6 month old thread back? Nope.
    Considering Greg's post spoke directly to vito's issue, it seems it was. Or Greg should start a new thread and could reference this one.
    Advanced Forum Hosting
    http://www.boardnation.com
    Easily build a community today!

I'm not an experienced forums user, so I appologize if I posted incorrectly. I just wanted to thank Vito for informing the public of his issue with Mr. Upton. I figured the best way to do that was to reply to the thread I was responding to, but I guess I could have referenced this thread and started a new one. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Here's an update with my situation: Mr. Upton has agreed to pay upfront for my work. I told him that was the only way I would feel comfortable working with him. He explained the situation with Infocreek, which made sense. Both Infocreek and Edward had different stories, but Edward provided alot more details in favor of him.

Hi Gregory. Everyone has a different opinion on this, but I don't think your post in this thread was out of line. It was not a "fluff" post. It spoke to the heart of the thread.

Parenthetically I should add (in case you missed it in my posts) that Edward has made several additional purchases from me. This thread was prompted by unfortunate circumstances last year, but the additional orders I have received from Edward have been without incident. He is considered a valued customer.

Vito

Hey Vito,

Yes I guess I did miss that post. I thought I read them all. I saw the post where you said he did finally pay you, but I had no idea he made additonal purchases and became a valued customer of yours. I appreciate you letting me know that.

Greg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast