hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : Deleting muliple files SSH? Easier way?

Forum Jump

Deleting muliple files SSH? Easier way?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Deleting muliple files SSH? Easier way?

Hi

Been searching all over cant seem to find the answer for this

In my home directory i have a load of .tar.gz files which i used for restoring accounts there are atleast around 100 i'd say

Does anyone know what command to issue to delete all files in the /home directory with a .tar.gz extension

i can do them one by one but gonan take ages wondering if there is na easier way?

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

You can use following command.. Will definitely help you.
Quote:
rm -rf *.tar.gz

Old
Web Hosting Master

thank your sir

worked fine!

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

BTW you can use midnight commander (mc) to simply highlight and delete un-needed files, sometimes it is easier then to use pattern

Old
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashus View Post
BTW you can use midnight commander (mc) to simply highlight and delete un-needed files, sometimes it is easier then to use pattern
Eh? rm -rf *.tar.gz is easy as pie and only takes a split second to do.

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
Eh? rm -rf *.tar.gz is easy as pie and only takes a split second to do.
And what if you need to delete 5-10 files which have *mike* or *dvb* or *webhostingtalk* in their names with *tar or *gz or *bz or *sql in their extensions with all these files mtime more then 1 day?

Would you still use patterns for these? Or maybe simply check them in MC and press F8?

Old

I have no idea what "mc" is and I've never used it. Chances are you could easily delete the files in the time it would take to even install "mc".

As far as deleting files with those attributes, a bit of simple regex could do it or you could just type out a few commands and be done with it.

The point I was trying to make is that they OP had a simple request with a simple solution that doesn't require anything more than a single command.

If they were asking how to delete an array of files with different names and extensions then perhaps your solution would be a good fit.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I have no idea what "mc" is and I've never used it. Chances are you could easily delete the files in the time it would take to even install "mc".

As far as deleting files with those attributes, a bit of simple regex could do it or you could just type out a few commands and be done with it.

The point I was trying to make is that they OP had a simple request with a simple solution that doesn't require anything more than a single command.

If they were asking how to delete an array of files with different names and extensions then perhaps your solution would be a good fit.
mc is a clone of norton commander under unix. I'm glad OP figured out how to achieve his needs but I was hoping my advice will be handy for him in the future, thats all.

Old

Quote:
mc is a clone of norton commander under unix. I'm glad OP figured out how to achieve his needs but I was hoping my advice will be handy for him in the future, thats all.
I see - tools like those do have their place but I prefer to work using the built in utilities in Linux for a couple of reasons -> they're always available no matter what system I'm in -> I don't have to install them before I can do what I need to do.

Maybe it will be helpful to somebody in the future.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I see - tools like those do have their place but I prefer to work using the built in utilities in Linux for a couple of reasons -> they're always available no matter what system I'm in -> I don't have to install them before I can do what I need to do.

Maybe it will be helpful to somebody in the future.
It's like buying a car to drive yourself 2 kilometers, sometimes it is very-very handy and cool and sometimes you can stuck in a traffic for half-day.

I hope you will like mc if you ever will try it

Old

I've never had problems with regular expressions being a developer for well over 15 years so I'll probably just stick to doing things the way I've always done them.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I've never had problems with regular expressions being a developer for well over 15 years so I'll probably just stick to doing things the way I've always done them.
You've never used mc for 15 years? You're probably very strict person, which is good from other side.

I'm glad you're ok with it

Old

Quote:
You've never used mc for 15 years? You're probably very strict person, which is good from other side.

I'm glad you're ok with it
I've never used it, ever. Never had a need for it.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Same here, I have never messed with MC. The shell works fine and once you are used to it why bother with any sort of gui?

Just be careful when you are using *'s, an extra space can ruin your day in a matter of seconds

www.eth0.us - Server Admin Info

Old
Web Hosting Master

Am I the only one who thinks that if the OP can't use one of the most basic commands and apply simple arguments to it... that they shouldn't be the one trying to remove account backups or be allowed to use a shell account?