Question My dedicated server got irregular overage bandwhich in a month

I was using Linux Dedicated Server with Hostgator, Last month Hostgator send me the email that told me "Your server used over 5.3TB of bandwidth during the month of April and your account has now been invoiced for the overages" and I got invoice $1,436.59 for bandwhich overage. for those month.

Then in those dedicated server I just only hosted few website which using PHPwind forum Script. From our statics our site usually cost bandwhich less than 20GB perday.

It is impossible for our site to cost those 5.3TB bandwhich. Because our site in dedicated server are not big as it (Our site are using local language not an international site the traffic are around 30,000 unique visitors per day) And doesn't have any upload or downloading any file except pictures.

It is possible that It got something wrong with dedicated server? (such as Hacking, Bombing or whatever).

My bet is on a server compromise. Had an issue just like yours with a customer where his bandwidth usage shot through the roof. Looking over his server, I found that someone had managed to crack an FTP account the server and setup a warez site sharing pirated German BluRay movies. Which absolutely explained the bandwidth overages.

You need to review your server carefully looking for a exploit. It's likely you are no longer the real owner of your server, just the guy paying the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by centauricw View Post
    My bet is on a server compromise. Had an issue just like yours with a customer where his bandwidth usage shot through the roof. Looking over his server, I found that someone had managed to crack an FTP account the server and setup a warez site sharing pirated German BluRay movies. Which absolutely explained the bandwidth overages.

You need to review your server carefully looking for a exploit. It's likely you are no longer the real owner of your server, just the guy paying the bills.
    Thank you for your info

I will contact Hostgator about it, And I hope they will understand what happened to us

are you sure it wasn't compromised? googling "phpwind+exploit" turns up some hilarious amount of results - did you keep your install completely up to date?

Definitely looks like a server compromise.