Thread: Define GREEN

Define GREEN

Green..

What is green? How can we, in the business we are in, ever be green?
    We can be greener than the next facility.. yes. But basically that just means that less dense"or less power consuming.

I would think that a denser datacenter would cause more ¨green" outside its own doors by increasing efficiency and allowing companies and less efficient facilities to close down.

I can see the benefit of Greener servers. More density at a lower power consumption. but as a datacenter, You cant really control what hardware your customers use without turning away business. You can recommend.. But most customer bring in used gear anyway.

Overall, Just wanted to see what peoples opinions are on this topic. Can a datacenter really aspire to be green and stay in business?

James
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!

I honestly don't know I personally think though that it's just a gimmick with politicians in Washington.

The last data center I was in used a lot of air conditioning to off set fans use especially cause it was a room full of computers. My guess is getting the room to around 50 degrees so they don't overheat so much?

Other than that. Just a way to get carbon credits for painting your servers another color.
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Quote Originally Posted by vantage255 View Post
    What is green?
    A marketing gimmick crafted to appeal to your hippie side

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJohnson View Post
    A marketing gimmick crafted to appeal to your hippie side
    Ahaha. Fully agree!

Talking

Building your servers out of eco-friendly components and then plugging them into a lemon.
    It's sooo totally hip, if you don't agree you're a commie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009-10-03 08.26.24.jpg  
    Proud supporter of *NIX users against *buntu.
    there is a ghost in your shell

Quote Originally Posted by mds85 View Post
    Building your servers out of eco-friendly components and then plugging them into a lemon.
    It's sooo totally hip, if you don't agree you're a commie.
    Your servers are definitely GREEN

While I like all of the replies, I was trying to get some opinions. This is an issue that is starting to filter into sales calls.

We have a rack neighbor (Next to us in the datacenter I am in) that is using over 300 amps of 120V power in one rack. Thats just insane. But he has a TON of compute power in that rack... This is a GREEN solution from Dell. thats a LOT of power and I am not sure who´s math makes it seam green.. With density only going up and power consumption climbing in high end hardware. Has being green just become buying efficient A/C and UPSs?
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!

Quote Originally Posted by vantage255 View Post
    [...] We have a rack neighbor (Next to us in the datacenter I am in) that is using over 300 amps of 120V power in one rack. [...] This is a GREEN solution from Dell. [...]
    Yes, that is indeed a GREEN solution. It is GREEN in a way that I'm sure it costs a lot of GREEN to run and it is most definitely a GREEN solution from Dell since it earned them a lot of GREEN.*

*Disclaimer: In the US, money is green.

All joking aside that is ridiculous. Don't tell any hippies, you'll give them a heart attack. Wait, actually, tell them
    Any idea of what they are running? Is it a standard 42U rack? 300 amps for a single rack is just crazy, but hey if they have the money and it makes them happy~

Anyway: If you're trying your best to be energy efficient, then I think you're "GREEN". If your clients complain, tell them to hug a tree.
    Proud supporter of *NIX users against *buntu.
    there is a ghost in your shell

I'm not sure it's just about buying efficient AC units and UPS'. The area I think there is most room to make an impact in is the area of Carbon offsetting. Obviously in our industry we'd have to do an awful lot to offset our carbon usage. Can it be done, and stay in business? The answer to that depends on whether the customer would be willing to pay more for it, in order to cover the costs.

Well if you're driving a prius, that's green. While it's alive, it consumes less resources, and when it's almost done, it takes you with it so you dont consume any more resources lol.

As for datacenters, turning off the lights at night, when there's only one tech in there, is being green.

It's the latest buzz word out there to refer to "becoming more efficient by consuming less".
    It's also a very arbitrary scale.