hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Fatcow ? are they good ? please advise

Forum Jump

Fatcow ? are they good ? please advise

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Fatcow ? are they good ? please advise

Hello,

After all I worked for the past several years, its all gone... thanks to my previous hosting company.
I haven't really used any hosting company since so call me a newbie to this as I'm not familiar with any hosting companies out there, But I've come across Fatcow and would likeyou folks to help me please, do you recommend this company to me ? Ill be starting a NEW website with forums and I'll make a bit of advertising too, I'm just nervous and don't know what to choose really its been a week looking for the right host but couldn't find any but I kinda like Fatcow features. My other question is about my domain is it safe to transfer my domain to them ? as they offer a free lifetime domain extension which suits me perfectly! and what about if I want to transfer away ? do I get my domain back ? or I'll have to pay for it ?

Thank you fellas
Bronzy

Last edited by BroNzY; 05-29-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Web Hosting Master

Sorry to hear about your experience with your previous hosting company - have you checked to see if they have any backup copy of your files?

Bear in mind that if you transfer your domain to them, you will be unable to transfer your domain away for the first 60 Days due to ICANN restrictions. A domain transfer will include a fee at your new provider/registrar (typically around $10 depending on your TLD) and extend your registration period by another year.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Retired Moderator

Given that you'll be hosting forums, Fatcow is not a good choice. Applications performance is not good at all there, based on my ~10 months experience. Actual uptime not so bad though: 99.9%.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Cultivated in California

Sorry to hear Bronzy about your experience from FatCow. My suggestion would be going with someone who offers backups to elminate the possibility of losing all your files again.

As far as your domain, Jansen is correct. You'll have to wait 60 Days from the date your domain was created and or renewed. I had a quick look at FatCow's site and you'll be able to keep the domain with them if you choose. When you pick your new host just switch the DNS @ FatCow to whatever nameservers are provided by the new company or you could transfer it to them if the condition permits.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:35 AM
The Geek is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
Given that you'll be hosting forums, Fatcow is not a good choice. Applications performance is not good at all there, based on my ~10 months experience. Actual uptime not so bad though: 99.9%.
If you search for reviews, you will see that their server performance is quite poor especially for applications.

Quote:
My other question is about my domain is it safe to transfer my domain to them ? as they offer a free lifetime domain extension which suits me perfectly! and what about if I want to transfer away ? do I get my domain back ? or I'll have to pay for it ?
You would most likely have to pay the domain renewal fee to get it away from them.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Sorry to hear Bronzy about your experience from FatCow. My suggestion would be going with someone who offers backups to elminate the possibility of losing all your files again.

As far as your domain, Jansen is correct. You'll have to wait 60 Days from the date your domain was created and or renewed. I had a quick look at FatCow's site and you'll be able to keep the domain with them if you choose. When you pick your new host just switch the DNS @ FatCow to whatever nameservers are provided by the new company or you could transfer it to them if the condition permits.
I do believe Bronzy was at another host and is currently looking at Fatcow for a replacement

Old 05-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroNzY View Post
Ill be starting a NEW website with forums and I'll make a bit of advertising too,
Are you able to set up your own forums ?

Sometimes the support some hosts offer for 3rd party appilications is abit slack..

its allways best to keep your domains and hosting seperate.

Regards

24/7 Ticket + Phone + Live Chat Support | More Locations Coming! | Visit Our Special Offers

Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

my advise is keep everything separate. your hosting separate, your domain separate, your dns separate, and your email separate.

my recipe for hosting bliss is as follows..

--name.com for domains.
--valcato or plixihost for shared hosting
--freedns.afraid.org for dns
--google for email

good luck with your new site(s).

Old 05-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Web Hosting Master

I agree @cagoon.

Keep your domain seperate, this means if you need to its so much easier to change to a new host, e-mail doesnt matter who you use f.c or google.

I see no need to keep DNS seperate..

Old 05-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Web Hosting Master

The only reason some hosts offer a "free" domain registration is to make it really hard for you to move your domain to another web host. You should definitely register your domain through a registrar instead of getting a free registration from the web host. If you register the domain yourself, then you will have full control over the domain. You'll be able to move to another web host at any time without worrying about the current web host holding the domain hostage.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crj- View Post
I agree @cagoon.

Keep your domain seperate, this means if you need to its so much easier to change to a new host, e-mail doesnt matter who you use f.c or google.

I see no need to keep DNS seperate..
you keep your dns separate so that if your host is down, you're still getting emails to your google apps

it's your classic "don't put all your eggs in one basket" scenario.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Web Hosting Master

@cagoon - true.. however you can just set the MX/A Records. I doubt FatCow's dns will go down I am sure they have a DNS cluster..

Old 05-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Disabled

I'd highly recommend HostGator. They have the resources and power you need for a forum.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Fatcow isnt good choice!

Old 05-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Web Hosting Master

I have no experience with FatCows. Have you tried contacting the sales department and asking a bit more about their services?