Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I think what he means is he fears that rackspace has a reason they are doing this , and its not for the ultimate benefit of the community , but to benefit their bottom line. Openstack is a platform to build your cloud application , onapp s more of a cloud service provider software vendor.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    Gary4gar - could you explain your concerns regarding vendor lock-in? And why there would be a difference between OnApp and OpenStack?

D
    with Onapp; I think there are constraints on what can be done with the cloud infrastructure and there might be restriction of access to the original source code & its modification. plus there might be interoperability issues, moving to another platform might have substantial switching costs.Webhosts will be fully Dependant on onapp for providing security updates,bug fixes etc.

Sure its seems great product but before setting up a large cloud infrastructure, I would better do some planning instead of going for turn-key solution.

Unless it is specifically written for OnApp (using our API's), your application really doesn't know if it is running in an OnApp powered or Rackspace/gogrid/etc powered cloud - or if it is running in a cloud environment at all. A cloud server typically presents a bunch of resources to the (web)application, none of that is cloud-related though, and moving from one cloud to another is just like moving from one dedicated server to another (so, no interoperability issues).

Also, what constraints do you think there are? What would you like to do that OnApp can't?

D

What are criteria to say this cloud host is better than other?

Softlayer.com is one of the best for cloud hosting
    |>Serveion.com Web Hosting & Shoutcast.
    |>Multiple Domain Shared Hosting | Reseller
    |>Android Player With Your Shoutcast.
    |>24/7/365 Support | 99.9% Uptime |

Thank you for advice, I'll let know what I think about it.

I've used Gandi and found it very good but rather pricy.

What exactly makes the service package from companies like Softlayer "cloud computing"? It simply looks like VPS hosting to me, re-branded as cloud computing.

When someone talks about cloud computing, Amazon EC2 style hosting is what I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by sshepherd View Post
    What exactly makes the service package from companies like Softlayer "cloud computing"? It simply looks like VPS hosting to me, re-branded as cloud computing.

When someone talks about cloud computing, Amazon EC2 style hosting is what I expect.
    As a provider I'm always curious to hear feedback from consumers such as yourself so I can improve marketing and materials to help those better understand.

Can you elaborate on exactly what you think cloud computing is, and what features and methods of EC2 that you feel make that so.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudWeb View Post
    As a provider I'm always curious to hear feedback from consumers such as yourself so I can improve marketing and materials to help those better understand.

Can you elaborate on exactly what you think cloud computing is, and what features and methods of EC2 that you feel make that so.
    It's easier to say what I don't think it is, such as VPS or Virtual Host systems where marketing folks have bastardized the term Cloud Computing or Cloud Hosting to capitalize on the hype.

I'm currently experimenting with VPS.net (who as far as I know) have a real cloud system.

Nodes bundled together for scalability and complete redundancy.

Other "clouds" tend to simply be VPS providers.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    Other "clouds" tend to simply be VPS providers.
    Not all - there's plenty of 'real' clouds -

http://www.gigenetcloud.com
    http://www.voxel.net/products-services/voxcloud
    http://www.cartikacloud.com

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Yes I realize that there are other providers - but as previously mentioned by someone else, a lot of providers are building up on the marketing hype.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

There are several hosting companies out there.
    <<snipped>>

There are cloud enablers, IaaS, PaaS, Hybrid, Private Clouds etc..

I'd say Amazon AWS is the best most complete package at this time. It's a barebones offering but incredibly powerful. If you're looking to develop and run apps then this is the place to go. If you require to simply run a website or two than Rackspace - Cloud site is good. You have your Cpanel and all the simple bells and whistles.
    Last edited by bear; 01-21-2011 at 10:08 AM.

I've been working with Amazon EC2 for many months on Windows system and can concur with the idea that EC2 is a true-cloud. However, it is not suitable for everyone.

EC2 instances are more like nodes, instances are disposable in every way possible. If your application is a fully cluster enabled that has no single point of failure, then EC2 works well. Examples I can think of is a single site based on Apache.

However, if you want to treat EC2 instance as a physical server, then EC2 falls way short of that requirement. While other cloud providers may look like VPS hosters, for as long as they offer redundancy and automatic failover of instances, I'd consider them semi-Cloud.
    Reliability • Performance • Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraid View Post
    As for the best cloud host? I don't think there is a "best" cloud host. Each cloud has its own unique blend of characteristics. A cloud that might work well for one application might prove insufficient for another.
    What cloud would be best for a search engine with 250 million searches per day?
    I approve this message.

Quote Originally Posted by pvakr View Post
    Which is best cloudhost?

I am considering these. stormondemand,vps.net,rackspace.
    Is there any other better one?
    Been with rackspace for more than 15 months now. No problems at all. Support is very responsive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123