hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : SSH "friendly" web hosting?

Forum Jump

SSH "friendly" web hosting?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2002, 11:56 AM

Question

SSH "friendly" web hosting?

I am looking for a web hosting company that is SSH friendly. I'll have to cite an example to explain what I mean by that:

I had high hopes for AddAction, they offer SSH, but when asked if I could subscribe to Bugtraq and CERT and similar mailing lists, and read the email while logged on to SSH, they said this activity was not allowed. They also say they don't have Mutt, a staple of Unix email fans everywhere.

I guess I'm looking for more than a simple web hosting company, I need reasonable SSH/Shell capabilities too. Are there companies out there that cater to someone who is comfortable/expert in Unix and doesn't mind someone logging on to do more than manipulate their web pages? I've looked at shell42.com, but they want $20 per month and aren't really focused on webhosting.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2002, 01:36 PM
ex-Aussie

they don't allow you to read your e-mail via shell? That's kind of odd.

I have a friend of mine that refuses to use a GUI of any kind. Even his desktop is straight command line Linux - he's an 'interesting' person - and is logged into one of our servers all the time checking mail via Pine.

Personally I like my bells, whistles and buttons but each to their own. ^_^

Greg Moore

Old 12-09-2002, 07:36 PM

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2002, 07:44 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

You could look at getting a Virtual Private Server then you should be able to install and use pretty much whatever software you'd like. The pricing will usually be a little higher than a comparable shared account, but you get a lot more flexibility.

Richard

Old 12-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by akashik
I have a friend of mine that refuses to use a GUI of any kind. Even his desktop is straight command line Linux - he's an 'interesting' person - and is logged into one of our servers all the time checking mail via Pine.
Ahhhhh, it reminds me of the good old---okay, they weren't so good--- MSdos days.

Hmmmm, I guess I like the bells-n-whistles myself. The shinier the better!

Old 12-09-2002, 08:38 PM
Web Hosting Master

The problem is it is harder to track bandwidth usage on a shell account, if some one decides to spam from shell the host may not know it until it is to late. I am sure that is why they did not want you to susbscribe to mailing list.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:16 AM
Enthusiastic chef

Can anyone tell me how to read my mail in shell? For some reason all my mail is down this morning - I am not able to receive ANYTHING, unless of course I send myself an email, then it gets through. Very strange.

So until my host can figure this one out, I'd like to see if there's any mail on the server (I know there will be). I tried webmail but it showed nothing in the Inbox.

I know precious little about the command line, so showing me what command to use would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Vito

Old 12-12-2002, 11:35 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Vito: assuming your host has Pine installed, at the command prompt, just type : pine - then follow the instructions.

Online Photo Editor
Retouch or Add effects to your photos with 1 click

Old 12-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Why not just look for a shell account then? Most hosting software (besides cPanel) cripples the shell anyway.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:48 AM
Enthusiastic chef

Thanks Aplusmedia. I used pine command but it shows nothing in my Inbox. Yet I know for a fact that I was sent several emails this morning. The problem seems very sporadic. No email for hours now, yet email notification of your post made it through. And no mail seems to be sitting on the server either. Aaaaaargh.

Sure hope my host solves this soon...

Vito

Old 12-13-2002, 12:11 AM

Buckbeak: our servers as well as many out there offer unrestricted shell access. Do what every you like as long as it is not breaking the law and not causing a performance issue. Our company is 100% Microsoft Free, and most of the staff spends most of their time in shell terminals. Go to UNIX geeks to find what UNIX geeks want

vito: sporadic email problems can be annoying. Try sending to your account from different places. If they all show sporadic success, then it may be a number of things, most notably server load on the server that receives mail for your account.

http://www.spry.com

Old 12-13-2002, 10:54 AM

>>Buckbeak: our servers as well as many out there offer unrestricted shell access.

I looked at your web site - it looks like none of the basic accounts offer SSH.

I ended up signing up with freeshell.org - accounts as low as $1 (one time payment). I signed up for the $36 plan - $36 one time for life. Seems like a good, deal, but you have to pay extra for mysql. But that's cheap too in comparison.

I had my own FreeBSD server when I had DSL, but I switched to cable and they don't believe in running services (daemons), ugh! The shell account will fill in the gap nicely and offers 100 MB of web space.

Old 12-13-2002, 04:36 PM

No, the Basic Hosting accounts are not virtualized like the VDS and RS accounts, so we couldn't safely offer shell access to these clients.

Wow, $36 for a lifetime shell account! I'll have to take a look at freeshell.org and see how they pull off such a deal, after all the discussion about SSH access in another thread.

http://www.spry.com

Last edited by jhopper; 12-13-2002 at 07:13 PM.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Zee-Way Hosting Listing 2014-04-24 09:29:48
KVCHOSTING LLC Listing 2014-04-24 09:29:26
KVCHOSTING LLC Listing 2014-04-24 09:29:27