hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Can you help me plan ahead? How many websites can this VPS hold?

Forum Jump

Can you help me plan ahead? How many websites can this VPS hold?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Can you help me plan ahead? How many websites can this VPS hold?

Can you guys help me plan ahead? I bought a 1024MB VPS from Wiredtree. Everything is great so far there really helpful. The website I put on the VPS is not getting the kind of searches I thought it would get.

Although it comes up on googles front page for a few different search terms. I haven't advertised the website so it could get a lot more traffic when I start that.

My question is how many more low traffic websites do you think a 1024MB VPS can hold before I need to move to a dedicated? Could you please just give me a rough guess?

I need to know because if it can hold a lot of websites I am going to get me a aircard for my laptop. So I can update my websites on the go. thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2010, 02:28 AM
ShillBuster

I've got two 1GB VPS's with KnownHost.

The accounts on both are 90% Joomla with a few vB's, IPB's, and WP's making up the rest.

One VPS has around 100 accounts and uses max 400-450MB memory, the other has about 60 accounts and uses about 300-350MB memory.

I have to say that on other providers the figures were a bit higher, so whatever KH do, they certainly know how to optimise a VPS. And I would imagine WT are the same if reviews are anything to go by.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:52 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
I've got two 1GB VPS's with KnownHost.

The accounts on both are 90% Joomla with a few vB's, IPB's, and WP's making up the rest.

One VPS has around 100 accounts and uses max 400-450MB memory, the other has about 60 accounts and uses about 300-350MB memory.

I have to say that on other providers the figures were a bit higher, so whatever KH do, they certainly know how to optimise a VPS. And I would imagine WT are the same if reviews are anything to go by.
Thank you for sharing the info, 100 accounts is way more then I will ever need. I am just hosting my own personal websites. I plan on building a network of websites and building as many as I can handle.

I think Wiredtree really knows what there doing as well. I was having a problem with a script. And they worked on it for over 2 hrs to it was fixed. It probably would have been fixed a lot faster but we were talking back and forth though email and I couldn't answer my email right away.

I am going to go ahead and order a aircard, now that I know how many websites that the VPS can hold.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2010, 03:47 AM
ShillBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwatcher1974 View Post
I am going to go ahead and order a aircard, now that I know how many websites that the VPS can hold.
The only thing I'd add is it will vary greatly depending on how busy your sites are.
My max is about 40GB bmonthly bandwidth with most sites around 3 to 5GB....so they're not exactly heavy hitters.
Plus, I optimise the databases in phpMyAdmin every 3 days for Joomla and WP, daily for the forums, and do a graceful server reboot every week. So I do keep a close eye on things.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
The only thing I'd add is it will vary greatly depending on how busy your sites are.
My max is about 40GB bmonthly bandwidth with most sites around 3 to 5GB....so they're not exactly heavy hitters.
Plus, I optimise the databases in phpMyAdmin every 3 days for Joomla and WP, daily for the forums, and do a graceful server reboot every week. So I do keep a close eye on things.
Thank you so much for the tips. My current website will probally do about 2GB~3GB this month. And most of that is picture files. Hopefully the website will get busy when I start to advertize. But I dont want to do that until I get more content.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 AM
ShillBuster

Well you're off to a good start as you've got WiredTree behind you, so you should get similar results to what I get with KnownHost.

If you were on some 5 dollar VPS from some nonentity then it would be a different story!

Old 05-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

You can't really estimate unless we know what sort of sites you we're to host. However if it's just a few personal sites that VPS should be more than enough. I know a few companies who pack several hundred accounts per VPS. Just be careful and if you start to notice spikes in traffic, remember to monitor the resources.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Can you guys help me plan ahead? I bought a 1024MB VPS from Wiredtree. Everything is great so far there really helpful. The website I put on the VPS is not getting the kind of searches I thought it would get.

Although it comes up on googles front page for a few different search terms. I haven't advertised the website so it could get a lot more traffic when I start that.

My question is how many more low traffic websites do you think a 1024MB VPS can hold before I need to move to a dedicated? Could you please just give me a rough guess?

I need to know because if it can hold a lot of websites I am going to get me a aircard for my laptop. So I can update my websites on the go. thanks for your time.
How many view you have everyday? if over 100k, maybe you need to consider a dedicated server!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Hey, it can hold about 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999