Coming Soon!
    WVFiber XO
    TIscali Telecom Italia
    NTT/Verio Verizon/MCI/UUNet
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    CloudJiffy PaaS - Wordpress Cluster Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    AS132335 - India - USA - Germany - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine

ORLY? Then where's BandCon? 'cuz they're DEFINITELY using BandCon...and Charter.
    I see your bandwidth and raise you a gigabit
    Recommendations: MDDHosting shared, Virpus high-BW VPS, 100TB/SoftLayer for awesome servers

Quote Originally Posted by iansltx View Post
    ORLY? Then where's BandCon? 'cuz they're DEFINITELY using BandCon...and Charter.
    I asked him the same thing. Will get a response on Monday.

Cool. Let everyone know what you find out...
    I see your bandwidth and raise you a gigabit
    Recommendations: MDDHosting shared, Virpus high-BW VPS, 100TB/SoftLayer for awesome servers

Quote Originally Posted by ishan View Post
    My account manager at UberBandwidth says (on May 5th) -

I believe that our 15 providers are as follows:
    AT&T Global Crossing Qwest
    Telia Time Warner Sprint
    AboveNet Charter Nuvox
    BTN/PCCW WBS Connect Comcast
    ERC Level (3) Savvis

Coming Soon!
    WVFiber XO
    TIscali Telecom Italia
    We were told the same thing back in March.

Current transit providers:

Telia Time Warner Sprint

AboveNet Charter Nuvox

ERC Level (3) Savvis

Coming Soon!

WVFiber XO

TIscali Telecom Italia

Quote Originally Posted by jeev View Post
    i think wht knows we can't really blame netriplex/uber for doing this, since they dont know much apparently.

1400 other people who've looked at this post should be asking, "where is bandcon in this post and why aren't they answering?" cause we all know they know what's going on.
    Does Bandcon participate on the forums? Do any major carriers participate?

Even then, a carrier has nothing to win either way. They're either claiming responsibility or outing a customer. Generally don't get far by embarrassing your customers.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Does Bandcon participate on the forums? Do any major carriers participate?

Even then, a carrier has nothing to win either way. They're either claiming responsibility or outing a customer. Generally don't get far by embarrassing your customers.
    I don't blame Bandcon for not jumping in either. This thread is about Uber's connectivity and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bilateral NDA in effect. If Uber didn't purchase enough capacity and Bandcon knows it, they can't say anything because of NDA. And if the problem is on Bandcon's end (such as if their POP is oversubscribed) they can't say because they would be, in effect, telling the workd their customer has purchased substandard transit.

Like you said, either way Bandcon can't win.

My account manager at UberBandwidth says (on May 5th) -

I believe that our 15 providers are as follows:
    Telia Time Warner Sprint
    AboveNet Charter Nuvox
    ERC Level (3) Savvis

Coming Soon!
    WVFiber XO
    TIscali Telecom Italia
    Using their website's traceroute tool:

ATT.net is reached via Bandcon -> Level3 -> ATT
    Global Crossing is via Bandcon -> Gblx
    Qwest is via Bandcon -> Gblx -> Qwest
    Telia is via Bandcon -> Gblx -> Telia
    TW Telecom is via Bandcon -> Gblx -> TWTC
    Sprint is via Bandcon -> Level3 -> Sprint
    Above.net is via HE -> Above.net (they're apparently directly connected to Hurricane Electric)
    Charter is reached via direct connection
    Nuvox is via HE -> TWTC -> Nuvox
    PCCW/BTN is via Bandcon -> PCCW
    Comcast is via Bandcon -> Gblx -> Comcast
    Level3 is via Bandcon -> Level3
    Savvis is via Bandcon -> Gblx -> Savvis

I think it's pretty clear how their "15 providers" are actually reached. Now it's possible they DO have direct connections with these providers, but have configured their FCP to take the absolute cheapest route (which would explain Bandcon and HE as the only paths) available.

It would be interesting to see outbound traceroutes if they shut off the Bandcon transit.

Also, they could be talking about the more expensive Netriplex mix and not their budget Uber mix. Looking back over the past year or so, I'm beginning to think they started off promoting Uberbandwidth as high quality, dozens-of-carriers premium bandwidth at low prices. Then somewhere along the way, Uberbandwidth became a budget blend and if you want the good stuff, you have to select the Netriplex blend. (I reserve the right to be completely wrong about this.)
    Last edited by Sekweta; 05-08-2010 at 08:45 AM.

I tried outbound from one of my servers at Uber, to Level3 and it went through Level3 itself. (this was on first day of this thread)

I tried outbound from one of my servers at Uber, to Level3 and it went through Level3 itself. (this was on first day of this thread)
    Can you post a traceroute? The hop through Bandcon has no reverse DNS for that particular IP address, so I looked it up at ARIN.

Quote Originally Posted by jeev View Post
    /me is still waiting for bandcon to respond to wht
    Why would bandcon respond? There is a sales guy that pops on here once in a while but thats about it.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    Can you post a traceroute? The hop through Bandcon has no reverse DNS for that particular IP address, so I looked it up at ARIN.
    My bad, i thought that IP was Uber's. Its Bandcon.

root@server4 [~]# traceroute level3.net
    traceroute to level3.net (4.68.95.11), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
    1 66.219.24.81 (66.219.24.81) 0.447 ms 0.478 ms 0.553 ms
    2 tengig-3-2.avl01.uberbw.com (66.219.27.5) 0.327 ms 0.332 ms 0.379 ms
    3 209.107.197.209 (209.107.197.209) 15.359 ms 15.419 ms 15.475 ms
    4 te-8-2-154.car4.Washington1.Level3.net (4.79.170.145) 14.617 ms 14.888 ms 14.874 ms

i can't say i didn't think about the NDA but sometimes you've gotta put a company in it's place. i'm not gonna say what one of them told me already a while back because that wouldn't be cool but from what i was told, there is more than enough bandwidth available. THAT is why i want bandcon to respond. every company needs it's PR so if they need to hire Karl Rove to train them on what to say, even if it's a complete lie.. do it.
    Providing World-Class Unnecessary Comments Since Birth.

My biggest complaint is Uber saying they have all these carriers, when the reality is quite different. It's not a marketing mislead, it's an outright lie, and has me thinking twice about using them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    My biggest complaint is Uber saying they have all these carriers, when the reality is quite different. It's not a marketing mislead, it's an outright lie, and has me thinking twice about using them now.
    Sadly, they're not the only ones who do it. I've noticed a few providers on WHT who do that, some of which are generally held in high regard.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Is it possible they use Bandcon for their backhaul to connect to all of these carriers?

Quote Originally Posted by JSCL View Post
    Is it possible they use Bandcon for their backhaul to connect to all of these carriers?
    Definitely possible, in fact it's entirely probable. Many companies will resell transport services, so you may pay Bandcon for transport, but the actual circuit is provisioned by AT&T (just some random example).

However, this wouldn't show up on fixedorbit/route servers/etc. It would be completely and totally transparent to their customers, general public, etc.

Only people with billing access/physical access to the equipment/circuits/etc. would have any real knowledge of this, for anyone else it's sheer speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    Definitely possible, in fact it's entirely probable. Many companies will resell transport services, so you may pay Bandcon for transport, but the actual circuit is provisioned by AT&T (just some random example).

However, this wouldn't show up on fixedorbit/route servers/etc. It would be completely and totally transparent to their customers, general public, etc.

Only people with billing access/physical access to the equipment/circuits/etc. would have any real knowledge of this, for anyone else it's sheer speculation.
    Well in fact, now I think about it, their BGP would include them because that is their network but it's carried over another network. So if it WAS their network - they should show.

Well in fact, now I think about it, their BGP would include them because that is their network but it's carried over another network. So if it WAS their network - they should show.
    Uh, your wording is a bit confusing on that statement ^_^.

Pushing bits over a L2 transport link will not be visible by BGP, will not be visible by a route-viewer/route-server, and will not be visible by traceroute.

While I'm not clear if you get that (based on your above posts wording), the OSI model is always applicable for anyone whose confused .

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    Uh, your wording is a bit confusing on that statement ^_^.

Pushing bits over a L2 transport link will not be visible by BGP, will not be visible by a route-viewer/route-server, and will not be visible by traceroute.

While I'm not clear if you get that (based on your above posts wording), the OSI model is always applicable for anyone whose confused .
    I'm not a networking person but my understanding is that they would announce them under their ASN. If Bandcon is the backhaul/cross connect carrier, they'd announce the carriers who travel over that Bandcon line. One example I know of is ColoGuys. They cross connect from the Infomart to their new DC but they don't simply announce the cross connect carrier - they announce the BGP coming over it - http://www.fixedorbit.com/AS/30/AS30008.htm

I'm not a networking person
    I am

but my understanding is that they would announce them under their ASN. If Bandcon is the backhaul/cross connect carrier, they'd announce the carriers who travel over that Bandcon line. One example I know of is ColoGuys. They cross connect from the Infomart to their new DC but they don't simply announce the cross connect carrier - they announce the BGP coming over it - http://www.fixedorbit.com/AS/30/AS30008.htm
    Its the use of "they/them", etc. that makes it confusing.

Transport links are Layer2 links, they have nothing to do with BGP, and are equivalent to a single physical cable drop as far as most need be concerned. If I supplied the physical cable between you and your transit provider, would anybody know that? Of course not.

People providing transport do not announce your IP's for you under their ASN. If they're doing that, they're not providing transport, they're providing transit, two different types of service.

Buying transit from Bandcon isn't a bad thing, but if you're buying bandwidth from an aggregator, and paying them to provide you with "their mix", you can't advertise that you're buying from all of *their* providers, thats what people are saying here (and theres a *huge* difference between the two).

If I was single homed on Level3, but then turned around and told you that I bought from all of their peers, well that would be an outright lie, right? ( L3's peers as visible by FixedOrbit - http://www.fixedorbit.com/AS/3/AS3356.htm ).

looks like they made some changes over the weekend, apparently adding hurricane electric is supposed to be better.

http://bgp.he.net/AS36167

fixedorbit's data is a bit outdated obviously? what we see there is a lot better than what we have now.
    Last edited by jeev; 05-10-2010 at 01:44 AM.
    Providing World-Class Unnecessary Comments Since Birth.

Looks like some routes are normalizing now.

Also, they've changed their pricing page:

http://uberbandwidth.com/pricing.asp

Interesting. I wonder how/if it will affect current customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

I believe they changed their pricing page because they offer space in other facilities now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

It does not affect current clients. The cabinet/power/ip pricing is same as Netriplex (any other Netriplex datacenter) and UberBandwidth can be purchased for min. 100 mbit commit, instead of 10mbit earlier.

Also, current clients continue to be UberBandwidth clients, but new colocation clients will be Netriplex clients.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast