hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Cisco Firewall to protect from hackers and DDos attacks?

Forum Jump

Cisco Firewall to protect from hackers and DDos attacks?

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Junior Guru

Question

Cisco Firewall to protect from hackers and DDos attacks?

Hi.

I am presently protected by a Cisco firewall and it has worked wonders for protecting me and stopping DDoS attacks.

I was wondering which one of these is better as they are in my budget.

a.) Cisco 1711-VPN/K9
b.) Cisco PIX 501

Can anyone tell me how these two compare to a Cisco PIX 525? I am also looking at the 525.

Thanks in advance for your helP!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

None of the three mentioned will stop a DDoS attack.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iptelligent View Post
None of the three mentioned will stop a DDoS attack.
Yes it will my Cisco PIX already have stopped massive DDoS attacks can someone knowledgeable please help me?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

The firewall may actually fail before the server, but if there was enough resources on the firewall, it could for example, proxy the TCP connection and not send bogus packets to the server. In your case it's probably only allowing access to the services you are running which is good. Maybe see which device will route the most packets. You may like the device to block ports and setup VPN access.

www.activehost.comsales@activehost.com
1-888-500-6799

Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Doh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Yes it will my Cisco PIX already have stopped massive DDoS attacks can someone knowledgeable please help me?
Firewalls especially the ones you are talking about don't stop DDoS attacks, maybe just straight attacks that can be null routed if the attacker is stupid and just uses one ip and that is a big maybe. But otherwise firewalls are not designed at all in anyway shape or form to stop a DDoS/DoS attack. Some netscreens on the higher levels might have some ability to but when you get into that price range its better to get a stand alone DDoS appliance ala Riorey or a Cisco guard.

The firewalls you are talking about have a MAX packets per/sec which any real "massive" attack will easily clobber and bring the box down, the other thing is they are both 100mbps max uplinks which any real massive attack will clobbber and bring that device down. So either way you loose loose.

Firewalls are designed for primarily one thing, to NAT/Route, and close off unwanted ports and provide logging via syslog to an off device server that someone is attacking this port.