Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    13,278

    Thumbs down

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ad-your-itunes

    EDITORIAL: TSA to download your iTunes?

    Federal security workers are now free to snoop through more than just your undergarments and luggage at the airport. Thanks to a recent series of federal court decisions, the digital belongings of international fliers are now open for inspection. This includes reading the saved e-mails on your laptop, scanning the address book on your iPhone or BlackBerry and closely scrutinizing your digital vacation snapshots. [more]
    Well seeing as so many are willing to let the govt do anything,this was only a matter of time!!





    Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,534
    Well seeing as so many are willing to let the govt do anything,this was only a matter of time!!
    Its not that anyone one of us really 'want' them to do it. And its not like they're going to ask you before they search your stuff, so its not really 'letting them'. Its the Federal Government dude, they're going to do what they please for the most part.
    Last edited by JPC-Curtis; 04-20-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    Curtis Mann, Customer Success Specialist
    sales @ jaguarpc.com | (888) 338-5261 | Twitter: @jaguarpc
    JaguarPC.com - Managed Hybrid Servers | Managed VPS Hosting | Idera Idera Backup | Dedicated Servers
    Exceptional Service | Homegrown | Veteran Owned | Operating since 1998!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    we have to protect intellectual property holders' rights !!!

    any other right of anyone is irrelevant !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    we have to protect intellectual property holders' rights !!!

    any other right of anyone is irrelevant !
    That'd be an interesting argument. If I have a properly licensed digital copy of a movie and then TSA plays it while inspecting my laptop, would that not be a public viewing and a violation of some archaic IP law?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,304
    Time to install PGP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,715
    Quote Originally Posted by null View Post
    Time to install PGP
    Problem with that idea is that encryption means you're guilty in most cases... encrypted partitions means they'll sit you down in a room until you agree to unlock it for them.

    Your best bet? Storing all your stuff online, then doing a factory restore on your laptop before you travel, and put it all back when you arrive. That'll show the bastards.
    Jamie @ Sabrienix
    Now with Mumble Hosting!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    6,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapfiber View Post
    That'd be an interesting argument. If I have a properly licensed digital copy of a movie and then TSA plays it while inspecting my laptop, would that not be a public viewing and a violation of some archaic IP law?
    No it is not a violation.

    For any crime or violation the guilt (mens rea) must be established. (in latin 'mens rea' means 'guilty mind')

  8. #8
    Full drive encryption with TrueCrypt and a "Hidden Partition" so if they ask me to "Reveal" the password I enter a 2ndry password that loads an empty OS.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    No it is not a violation.

    For any crime or violation the guilt (mens rea) must be established. (in latin 'mens rea' means 'guilty mind')
    Mens rea has many definitions and levels of culpability. Knowing the MPAA I'm sure they wouldn't have any problem explaining it as a case of strict liability.

    I doubt it would ever happen, but an interesting idea anyway.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,304
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
    Problem with that idea is that encryption means you're guilty in most cases... encrypted partitions means they'll sit you down in a room until you agree to unlock it for them.

    Your best bet? Storing all your stuff online, then doing a factory restore on your laptop before you travel, and put it all back when you arrive. That'll show the bastards.
    I'm not violating anything if I forgot password

  11. #11
    Wow that is quite crazy..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    515
    Use full disk encryption with Truecrypt/Bestcrypt. Then set a custom boot message.

    When my laptop is booted it simply displays a black screen with

    "Operating System not found"

    Typing on the keyboard echoes nothing, considering who the TSA hires I doubt many agents will go further than that.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,984
    This is going a bit too far. Maybe your laptop or iPhone is going to digitally explode?
    Hi there! I'm John Jackson
    SurrealPixel - User Interface Design

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapfiber View Post
    Mens rea has many definitions and levels of culpability. Knowing the MPAA I'm sure they wouldn't have any problem explaining it as a case of strict liability.

    I doubt it would ever happen, but an interesting idea anyway.
    Or easily charge you with conspiracy to _insert_crime_here_ and the only way for you to be proven innocent is to prove them wrong revealing your information on the computer.


    Conspiracy is VERY easy to get a charge of. EASY.EASY.EASY

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by null View Post
    Time to install PGP
    Agreed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. require govt issued id on file for server?
    By funkywizard in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 04:13 PM
  2. Sole hosting comp vs. isp comp
    By karenbailey in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. Got letter from Govt. - Does this apply to me?
    By Mark226 in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 02:39 AM
  4. Govt. spying!
    By Wolfy in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-26-2002, 06:11 AM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •