hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Youth of Today: Better or Worse than Yesterday?

Forum Jump

Youth of Today: Better or Worse than Yesterday?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
An Awesome Dude

Are the teens of today better or worse than the teens of 20,40+ years ago?

I believe they are much worse off for the folowing reasons

1) TRASH/EVIL VIDEO GAMES (WHEN WE WERE YOUNG WE HAD GOOD GAMES)

These games of killing people,evil is NO GOOD for anyone to be playing!

2) ALMOST NOTHING BUT GARBAGE ON TV TODAY!

The kids of today have NO IDEA what good is until they have watched cartoons on saturday morning during the 70,80s!! (Best time ever)

3) Crap MUSIC

This stuff called "HIP HOP" is horrible (80s hip hop was good (Tone loc,etc))

I think todays youth is terribly worse than when we were young and IM GLAD TO HAVE BEEN YOUNG WHEN I WAS!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Sponsored Links
Old
Internet:Just Piracy No Scurvy

1) There are some amazing games right now, when I was young Mario was state of the art and windows 3.0 was rocking. If it's better or not I don't know and I don't think I can judge as all older people complained about the youth since the dawn of actual progress.

2) There are still good cartoons on TV and more than ever, even some Looney Tunes, however it gotten more commercial, like the entire society.

3) Crap music? How did your parents feel about all that crazy metal rock crap?

I don't know if it was better to have grown up when I did, but I must say that I am quite happy with the results.

Saying that they are worse off then we were is a bit ignorant at the history of the parents-kids relationship.

Old
Disabled

aaaah. old ppl ....

Sponsored Links
Old
Community Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
aaaah. old ppl ....
I'm telling you... never seen such an unhappy person in my life!

Old
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius View Post
I'm telling you... never seen such an unhappy person in my life!
i knew worse - at least this one had actually played computer games and whatnot.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

So let's throw some demographics out there, I'm 38, educated, married etc. I did not grow upwith cell phones or the level of instant communication that is available.

Some thoughts:

1. I've had most of the game systems. I like them all, but definitely prefer today b/c they are just straight up better. Can I do w/o all the killing, sure, but I still think they are better today. My only complaint with game makers is/are they make the games too short on game play. You can play donkey kong, frogger, tempest, etc forever. Today's game makers are worried too much about online play, vs good story line.

2. TV? I don't watch a lot of network TV, but I hate the "reality" crap that is out there. Thank god for history channel and the like.

3. The music...every generation says that. I listen to it all.

4. Cellphones. Easiest way to "control" a teenager these days is the cellphone. In my day it was a swift "whack".

Old
I am Taranis God of the Wheel

As a 50 something, it's a 'no brainer'

We did not have any Computers or Video Games or 'cell phones',

We did have, a [UK]motor industry,
Beter Music, Fashion, TV, Drugs, Politics & politicians, Cars, Motorbikes, Magazines
Beter food, beer, sex, hair, women, cartoons, startrek, comic books, super heroes,
movies, pop festivals etc.

Could there be a better time to be a teenager
than through the end of the 60s into the mid 70s ?

Could there be a better place to be than 'Swinging London' ?

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thus the process of generations, sure the youth's values may have changed but I wouldn't necessarily call it better or worse.

Old
Out there beyond the Wall.

I'm 42 and think its more the parental guidance or lack there of that causes these issues today.

I don;t really mind the new games, music or TV etc.. but..

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PULL UP YOUR DAMN PANTS!!

Old
Predatory Poster

Today's youth seem to lack initiative and the ability to innovate. Two of the most important needs to lead the country to economic prosperity. I believe this is mostly due to no child left behind act forcing teachers to waste precious resources on students with no desire to learn. Something is clearly wrong when the curriculum has to be simplified and the bar set lower each year (possibly because overweight children can't get their feet off the ground to reach it). I liken the experience to a prevasive sense of medicority is best. Why should I work harder, smarter, and faster if I get paid and/or rewarded the same as John who clocks in on time leaves on time and gives an average performance.

Unemployment is now referred to as funemployment or paycation. This is completely unacceptable.

Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Old
Web Hosting Master

They are probably the same as 20 years ago. It's just us getting older and we change so they seem worse

Old
I am Taranis God of the Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierceservers View Post
Thus the process of generations, sure the youth's values may have changed but I wouldn't necessarily call it better or worse.
Wow I thought it was 'All about 'My Generation'
Quote:
People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to d-dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a b-big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we g-g-get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Yeah, I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
But I guess the new generation wouldn't even know WHO wrote that !

Old
Web Hosting Master

Somewhat related:

http://xkcd.com/603/

Old
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_613 View Post
They are probably the same as 20 years ago. It's just us getting older and we change so they seem worse
Oh no, they're definitely worse.
20,40 years ago, parents taught their children morals and ideals. Now, it's "send them to school, let the school teach them all that crap".

20, 40 years ago, there was no such thing as a "working family". Dad worked, mom stayed at home (or, in odd cases, reverse), but 2 income families were not as common as they are today. Today, it's pretty much a requirement, all because we gotta have all them goodies

20,40 years ago, punishment was ALLOWED. Yes, in some cases it was abused by far (I know from experience), but it was allowed, and there were no questions, you DIDN'T do something that would piss your elders off.

I feel sorry for today's children's grandchildren. If we have strayed this far as a culture, what will it be like 2-3 generations down the road? Hell, today's children will be the ones caring for us as we're old (politically, etc), which is just one HELL of a scary thought.

Today's children are selfish, greedy, spoiled brats for the most part. They're taught from a young age that you get what you want just by crying or throwing a fit. How much worse is it going to be for them 20, 30 years from now when they find themselves dealing with the same issues only worse.

Growing up being forced to go to church, I took a lot of that home (not that I use much of it now ), and one very clear reminder from all of that comes to me:

Quote:
The sins of the father will be passed down from generation to generation
This is very clearly what's happening here. Each generation is becoming weaker and weaker, affected from the previous generation's "sins" (mistakes, whatever).

Old
Disabled

i find my self playing and liking violence, battle, war themed or containing games less and less as i get older. maybe its something to do with the age.