GoDaddy horror story

Hey everyone, I hope this isn't against the rules but I am posting this from another forum I often frequent. I felt as if it would be of some interest to some of you...

Hi Guys,

May be some of you will disagree with me because godaddy is very famous and they have wide customer base. But I'd like to share with you my experience with godaddy and will leave you to decide your self.

I was using godaddy for about one year without any problem. Their normal support didn't have live help but was satisfactory.
    They had slow mysql connection on shared hosting so moved to vps no problem. I never thought that much more problem are to come later.

That is till yesterday. when due to a spammer misused my free image hosting service to upload images used in spam operation. Once my website blocked by spamhaus, go daddy didn't wait a bit and didn't even give me any time to try to sort things out. they suspended my domain and hosting account without any notice and left me without nothing to do risking me losing of my one year business which never had the chance to make money yet.

At that stage their support became extremely horrible. Most of their replies by emails are sterio-type emails.
    I called them several times a day but most of the time I get a recorded voice not a human. And even the one time I could reach them they didn't seem to be co-operative at all. They stopped my whole website and even prevented me from moving to another provider. They ask for $75 just to allow me to move to another provider and lose the months I paid in advance in hosting. They don't care that I never make money yet from my website. They never care I didn't abuse their service and I was just a victim like them.

My website completely got down and they seem they never care or bother. I have been a user of godaddy for more than one year and didn't ever cause any troubles or get convicted in any suspicious or illegal activity. And I'm also somewhat old in this forum. never posted spam or disobeyed rules.
    I discovered they don't care losing innocent customers just because an abuse caused by another person I don't know and the abuse itself didn't last for more than 2 days before getting blocked and suspended. which is done too fast to be able to take any measures. How cruel is that!!!

I really hope I could know that before I see their ugly face this way.
    Original thread here: http://www.webmaster-talk.com/web-ho...-business.html
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

Sorry to hear that and thanks for sharing this issue with us.
    Anyway, I personally won't host my websites with GoDaddy cause I think their main business is domain registration not web hosting - that's my personal opinion. I use GoDaddy only for domain registration so far.

So you don't have any backups of your website files somewhere in your PC or on the internet else where?
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

I've never used GoDaddy for anything, i tried calling godaddy before hand about a few things, All i got was unrelated answers and eventually a hang up
    〓〓 QuadraNet ├ CLOUD ├ DEDICATED ├ COLOCATION
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas and Miami!!
    〓〓 andrew.moore[at]quadranet.com
    〓〓 http://www.QuadraNet.com

Yea, after seeing all the stories on nodaddy.com; it makes me stay away from GoDaddy.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

This story is not my own, it was posted on another forum by someone thats not me.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

That user is was only looking for trouble offering such service's i still dont why he/she didnt keep back up's this doesnt seem to be GoDaddy's fault in this case.
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami and Atlanta
    〓〓 I make deals!! Dustin@QuadraNet.com
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/

True, but I find it unprofessional to offer no prior warning, 12 hours or more to let the client know, "Hey man, someone is using your website for bad things, manage your website or face penalty."

And then the whole support thing sounds familiar.

Any host has the power to suspend the service they provide if there is any breach or violation of their ToS, AUP. I think ToS provides the prior warnings about what they allow to host and what they don't.

That is pretty bad =\ but it's now a mark against them .
    Pub, Gym and Programming is now my life.

I agree. Godaddy used to be great but I think they got too big and it got to their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by PedalFastBmx View Post
    This story is not my own, it was posted on another forum by someone thats not me.
    Ooppss... I'm sorry my bad, I thought it was yours.
    Thanks for the correction.

Anyway, I do agree with iHubNet-Matt, any host providers have rights to suspend any kind of accounts/services they provide (even without prior notice) if there is any breach or violation of their ToS.
    Most clients usually wouldn't read the ToS carefully during the sign up process, which telling them which are allowed and aren't.
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

I just buy my domains and update my nameservers and I have no problems. :|

Oh well.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

I think I'm gonna stay away from GoDaddy completely. I have heard lots of bad things about them.

GoDaddy is fine for domain registration but you will only have problems with any of their other services :\ , I still don't use GoDaddy for domain registration, I use InternetBS They are cheap simple and easy to use, I don't need all those fancy features that GoDaddy offers for Domains, The features InternetBS offers is perfectly fine for me.
    〓〓 Locations: Los Angeles, Dallas and Miami!!
    〓〓 andrew.moore[at]quadranet.com
    〓〓 http://www.QuadraNet.com

This is 100000x time which i heard about same thing.I moved all my domains away from godaddy.Their main problem is,your competitor can send false spam report and you can lose your domain just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by roguehosting View Post
    This is 100000x time which i heard about same thing.I moved all my domains away from godaddy.Their main problem is,your competitor can send false spam report and you can lose your domain just like that.
    Hmmm... i have also heard about godaddy's degrading service. But sometimes when you are using a service provider for years, you make a comfort level with that provider.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Any host has the power to suspend the service they provide if there is any breach or violation of their ToS, AUP. I think ToS provides the prior warnings about what they allow to host and what they don't.
    Many hosts do state this, I know once i have sorted my terms fully i will be including this, As i personally think its for the best.

something along the lines of, "If misuse of any nature is caused by your account it will be suspended immediately"

Tough terms i know, But why take the chances, Which could lead to things being blacklisted, etc

Regards

Perhaps they should allow you to take your data and leave without having to pay but offering free hosting of any sort will attract nothing but hackers, spammers and phishers. Most hosts don't allow these types of accounts (free hosting) to be hosted on their servers with good reason.
    JixHost | U.S.A. based hosting & support for 6+ years. | Powerful CloudLinux servers.
    JixHost.com | Instant Activation | Trusted by over 115,000 clients served globally.
    █ Cloud VPS | Alpha Reseller | Master Reseller | Reseller | cPanel shared.
    █ 24/7/365 Help desk support | Recurring Affiliate Program available.

I've used GoDaddy before and heard way too many horror stories. I've switched all my domains over to NameCheap and have never had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by PedalFastBmx View Post
    True, but I find it unprofessional to offer no prior warning, 12 hours or more to let the client know, "Hey man, someone is using your website for bad things, manage your website or face penalty."
    It's not always possible to provide prior warning on accounts that may be breaching the T&C's or AUP. Sometimes immediate action has to be taken. Such is the nature of shared hosting.

Namecheap isn't perfect either -- I find hosting is a bit slow with several anomalies including blocking my FTP access, but to their credit they respond to support tickets and they don't close it till you give a green light.

I found the support quite good in that respect, but some of the service was not as described (eg offering anonymous FTP space, just after I uploaded 1,000 technical files to my anon FTP directory). Initial hosting setup was patchy too.

22. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!