Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    What Host is the best for me?

    i have been looking around for hosts for a long time but there are like 800 hosting companies so its hard to choose. in a host i would like to see unlimited disk usage and bandwidth. another important thing i like to see is unlimited file size when you upload. i was going to get hostmonster but it had a 20mb limit so i went looking somewhere else. a lot of hosting companies have a limit to the file size on uploading so its hard to choose. i recently found a hosting company called hostican and it has unlimited file upload size. i am worried because its one of those hosting companies that not many people know about. i would also like to see the things all good web hosts have like (99% uptime and all that stuff). so based on the stuff i provided, which host is best for me? price does not matter as long as its not like 200$ every month.

  2. #2
    It's definitely a difficult choice, as there are so many hosting providers out there. And all of them want your business.

    Is this a new site, or is this an existing site? What kind of traffic and resource usage do you currently see now?

    Your budget seems like you could really fit in anything, be it shared, VPS, dedicated, etc. I know you're looking for unlimited hosting, and unlimited is not necessarily a bad thing, but there's really no such thing as unlimited hosting. Hard drives have physical limits, and there are physical limitations on how much bandwidth a server can transfer. Right now, unlimited hosts don't limit you on diskspace or bandwidth, but they do limit you on CPU usage, and memory.

    So, if your site is a busy site, and it uses a lot of CPU and memory, there's a good chance that an unlimited host would ask you to upgrade, switch to a dedicated server or something else. It's quite possible that they'd suspend you.

    If your site is busy, I'd recommend going for a lowend dedicated server. The resources would be yours and only yours, and you'd know exactly what you're paying for.

    At any rate, good luck with your search!!!
    :: Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    :: Introducing real fully managed VPS servers!
    :: Check it out: www.PreciselyManaged.com/vps-hosting.html
    :: Security Mailing List for Hosting Providers

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    196
    Unlimited diskspace/bandwidth doesn't exist, they will limit you somehow. Most of the hosting companies have 100M for upload, which is really fine. Now, the best way to decide is to look for reviews.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post
    It's definitely a difficult choice, as there are so many hosting providers out there. And all of them want your business.

    Is this a new site, or is this an existing site? What kind of traffic and resource usage do you currently see now?

    Your budget seems like you could really fit in anything, be it shared, VPS, dedicated, etc. I know you're looking for unlimited hosting, and unlimited is not necessarily a bad thing, but there's really no such thing as unlimited hosting. Hard drives have physical limits, and there are physical limitations on how much bandwidth a server can transfer. Right now, unlimited hosts don't limit you on diskspace or bandwidth, but they do limit you on CPU usage, and memory.

    So, if your site is a busy site, and it uses a lot of CPU and memory, there's a good chance that an unlimited host would ask you to upgrade, switch to a dedicated server or something else. It's quite possible that they'd suspend you.

    If your site is busy, I'd recommend going for a lowend dedicated server. The resources would be yours and only yours, and you'd know exactly what you're paying for.

    At any rate, good luck with your search!!!
    i am currently looking to create a website. can you be more specific on the limit on the unlimited hosts? i already read the unlimited host scam topics here but is there an actual number which is the limit? also where can i buy a dedicated server?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,328
    A lot of companies offer Dedicated Servers, but a short-list would be Lime Networks, GoDaddy, Steadfast, HostGator, among many other web hosts no doubt.

    As for your requirements, pretty unrealistic. What sort of web site are you creating that would require a large amount of space and bandwidth, as well as 'unlimited' file uploading sizes?
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    99% uptime and all that stuff
    99% uptime is bad. It means some 7 hours of downtime per month.

    in a host i would like to see unlimited disk usage and bandwidth.
    You mentioned some ~$7/month hosts, which means you'll be sharing the server with a couple hundred other accounts. Ask the host what their typical server configuration is, and run the math.

    Unlimited should not be read as infinite. It's just unrestricted, until you break something/affect other customers.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by arceus12345 View Post
    i have been looking around for hosts for a long time but there are like 800 hosting companies so its hard to choose (...)
    My suggestions:

    • forget "unlimited", it stinks
    • search for good reviews without referral code in URL address, good companies will have loyal customers (not being paid for advertising)
    Homer knows about his website downtime, what about you?
    site-uptime.net site uptime monitor

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    /etc/my.cnf
    Posts
    9,966
    Forgot about using unlimited hosting.

    Regards to file upload, Why not upload using FTP ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    10,473
    Your budget seems like you could really fit in anything, be it shared, VPS, dedicated, etc. I know you're looking for unlimited hosting, and unlimited is not necessarily a bad thing, but there's really no such thing as unlimited hosting. Hard drives have physical limits, and there are physical limitations on how much bandwidth a server can transfer. Right now, unlimited hosts don't limit you on diskspace or bandwidth, but they do limit you on CPU usage, and memory.
    he never stated a budget, though, when you look at what he is requesting $200+ a month he would be having to pay to even come close to using and maintaining such resources :-)
    l Clever Emu (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2003
    l Leading UK and Ireland Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,883
    As everybody here has stated there isn't something like unlimited disk space and bandwidth. Read the ToS of the host which provides it, you can find some clauses, which shows some limit like CPU, ram usages. Make sure you read the ToS if you are going for any unlimited to avoid any hassle.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    72
    With where the shared hosting market is right now, you're going to get unlimited everything with just about every host. Focus instead on uptime, add-ons and quality of support. Check http://www.hyperspin.com/en/ranking.php?type=1 for uptime rankings for Shared hosts.
    Josh Ewin, Managing Editor
    Web Hosting Madness

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    he never stated a budget, though, when you look at what he is requesting $200+ a month he would be having to pay to even come close to using and maintaining such resources :-)
    The OP stated "price does not matter as long as its not like 200$ every month."

    I took that to be the budget. I mean, if he doesn't care what the price is, up to $200, I understood that to be the budget.
    :: Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    :: Introducing real fully managed VPS servers!
    :: Check it out: www.PreciselyManaged.com/vps-hosting.html
    :: Security Mailing List for Hosting Providers

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by arceus12345 View Post
    i am currently looking to create a website. can you be more specific on the limit on the unlimited hosts? i already read the unlimited host scam topics here but is there an actual number which is the limit? also where can i buy a dedicated server?
    Unfortunately, it's a dynamic limit. Basically, whenever you start causing problems, they'll suspend you. There's no fixed number.

    At the same time though, on limited hosts you have the same issue above too. So really this is a general shared hosting environment issue.

    For Dedicated servers, I'd check out Gigenet.com or Softlayer.com. Both of them were awesome providers. I'm no longer with either one of them, but they were excellent while I was there. They are on the higher end of price though.
    :: Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    :: Introducing real fully managed VPS servers!
    :: Check it out: www.PreciselyManaged.com/vps-hosting.html
    :: Security Mailing List for Hosting Providers

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by arceus12345 View Post
    i am currently looking to create a website. can you be more specific on the limit on the unlimited hosts? i already read the unlimited host scam topics here but is there an actual number which is the limit? also where can i buy a dedicated server?
    they could limit :
    - your Databases resources
    - your Physical usage resources ( CPU/RAM ) that means when you overload their servers and use a lot or physical resources you get your account suspended ( well most of hosts do this but with unlimited hosting you would be more limited )

    about Dedicated server, you can look here in WHT "Dedicated Hosting Offers"
    this kind of hosts give you a server and you've all control on it, you're free to use it as you like without limits but it depends on what resources and specification you have ( CPU/RAM/Hard Driver/Bandwidth )

    good luck
    Last edited by Grant BOX Sales; 04-08-2010 at 12:22 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Maine, US
    Posts
    521
    If you are look for unrealistic hosting specs like unlimited you must expect flaws in other areas such as their uptime of their servers. Even if they dont have good uptime, to handle unlimited clients they have a lot of resource caps on services and such.

  16. #16
    I don't even understand from where "unlimited" comes.. Anyway, hostgator is a good choice.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kshatriya
    Posts
    2,209
    unlimited hosting is passion, i think Unlimited/Unmetered is good for anyonee.


    if you invest $200 then why not purchase VPS?
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS from Dewlance.com - Chicago/Orlando/Las Vegas
    Web Hosting Tutorial - Hundreds of tutorials & Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting
    - Canada/US/UK

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by kunnusingh View Post
    unlimited hosting is passion, i think Unlimited/Unmetered is good for anyonee.


    if you invest $200 then why not purchase VPS?
    ..or dedicated. Anyway, depends of your business..

  19. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 08:56 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 02:49 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 02:53 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 10:46 AM
  5. [SECURE] Setting up a FREE Webhost/Image Host/Forum Host/Blog Host
    By mouseattack in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 06:11 PM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •