hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Game Servers : Dual or single CPU 1U Servers?

Forum Jump

Dual or single CPU 1U Servers?

Reply Post New Thread In Game Servers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Since colocation (small scale 1-10U) is quite expensive in my opinion - would it be wise to go for Dual CPU 1U servers, in order to put a larger number of total slots on it?
I have past experience, but this was a few years back and I am not sure how never games work seen to resource usage.

I realize that this is a "how long is a string"-question, but still...

Take two examples:
Dell R210 (Single Xeon X3460, 4Gb DDR3 1333MHz and SAS 15k)
compared to
Dell R410 (Dual Xeon E5520, 8Gb DDR3 and SAS 15k disc)

If we take games like BF2 and CSS - how many slots can you put on each server? Is it worth adding better CPUs on the R410, like Xeon X5550 - and perhaps increase the RAM?
Will the disc be a limiting factor in the end?

I am not keen on ordering various Dell servers, to try my way through - so any advice would be much apprecicated.
I would like an honest reply - not the "2*32 player servers answer, not more then that". GSP hosting is all about overloading your servers without your customers noticing it - I know that from my own previous experience.

PS. English is my second language - so I do apologize for any spelling or grammar errors!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 AM

If you consider hosting from various locations, you will notice that certain countries are quite expensive only seen to the actual space/power (U). Placing a 1U / Dual CPU Server will of course cause the power consumption to rise, but still you only have the per U cost in whole. Traffic will of course also cost you a bit extra - but still....

I know that I am asking about tricks' of the trade now and that several people here don't really want to share their "secrets" ;-)

I was running my former GSP on Dedicated servers only, from three different locations in Europe and as I am now looking on going colo for my new project - that makes me consider the density a lot more.

The Dual CPU machine is rougly 70% more expensive and you will have to pay around 25% percent more for the housing (incl power/traffic). When you actually have a decent customer stock - this option should be a lot more attractive, as you have a higher profitability? We also have various license costs, such as OS and Control Panel also playing a role here - as you will have twice the amount of slots per server (i e sales).

Last edited by T1n3ll; 04-09-2010 at 10:05 AM.