Solar VPS is looking for THAT next big star! Is it you?

It's an extremely rare thing for us to announce an open position anywhere, so please make sure you read this entire thing before applying for this job.

If you do not read this, and do not respond as indicated below, you will be automatically disqualified from consideration.

Solar VTG, LLC (Owner of Solar VPS, MessageWire and other brands) is looking for ONE extremely talented person to join our support team.

Position: Support Technician, Level 3
    Hours: Rotating, depending on availability
    Shifts: Currently 6 days a week, 8 hours a day (Will be changing to have two days off)
    Languages: Fluent English (Reading, Spoken, Written). Additional languages a plus, but not required.

REQUIRED Skills:
    - Virtualization: Parallels Virtuozzo, Citrix XenServer experience a plus
    - Control Panels: cPanel, DirectAdmin, Plesk
    - Operating Systems: Windows 2003/2008, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora

Summary: You will be working with a team of highly skilled professionals in the industry, providing top quality tech support via Tickets/Emails, Live Chat and possibly telephone. We've got a very demanding client base, and our ultimate goal is to ensure that their issues are properly handled with excellent customer service skills.

While the candidate will not be required to handle any Sales or Billing oriented tasks, we do encourage the techs to assist our customers with questions they know the answers to.

This candidate is a person that is driven to not only see the company succeed, but themselves as well. We have a fast paced, highly challenging structure in place, and we need people that are forward thinkers.

The ideal candidate will also have a MCP, MCSA or better, or be willing to learn/go through training/obtain a MCP/MCSA.

We are primarily a Windows provider, though we do have a sizable linux base. The idea candidate will be strong in all OS choices.

We are not looking for:
    Reboot monkeys
    Level 1 techs
    Outsourced Support Companies
    Head Hunters
    Third party hiring organizations
    People that cannot read
    People that cannot follow specific directions
    Egomaniacs
    People that use AOLese ("u" instead of "you", etc)

We ARE looking for:
    People that embrace teamwork
    People that take pride in their work
    Highly motivated
    Willing to go that extra mile
    Willing to stay late to get that one customer taken care of
    Personality
    Customer friendly

Solar is led by a dynamic management team with nearly 30 years of industry experience, who's sole focus is on enriching the customer experience and being Customer Centric.

Solar is a provider that offers services in six locations, four states and two countries. We're staffed by people in two countries.

This is a full time position. We expect that Solar VPS will be your ONLY employer. Pay is based on Salary, rather than per incident.

If you feel that you're THAT person we're looking for, please send your resume (.doc, .docx or PDF) to jobs@solarvps.com and include a cover letter. Please follow the below format for the subject line in your email. Make sure to include professional and personal references.
    FIRSTNAME LASTNAME - Resume/CV

If you:
    * Tell me to check my email
    * Tell me to check my PMs
    * are an outsourced third party company
    * send us any file attachments other than indicated above
    * do not follow the subject identification above
    * are not familiar with Virtuozzo or XenServer
    * do not read this entire post
    * waste our time by not having the REQUIRED skillsets above

you will be completely disqualified from consideration.

Qualified Candidates will be contacted and scheduled for a live chat interview.

Pay will be discussed on the final interview (not the live chat nor telephone interviews), and is based on experience.

I know that I'm very direct and straight forward with this. We have a phenominal team assisting our customers, and our reputation here shows that. We refuse to sacrefice quality for quantity, so I'm shooting straight from the hip. We want to make sure that whomever we bring on board as our next tech is going to not only meet with our approval, but that this person can withstand our customers scrutiny and approval.

Trust me... when this person comes on board, they will have every opportunity to mold this position around their talents.

So... are you that person, or what?
    Last edited by Douglas; 04-02-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites
      0 Not allowed!

One other requirement that I forgot to add:

You must be 18 years of age or older and not in high school (College/university/technical trade school is fine, as long as your studies don't interfere with work, or vice versa).

Solar VPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and hires without regards to gender, marital status, sexual orientation, nationality, creed, religious beliefs, political beliefs, physical abilities, etc.

(In other words, on a more humorous side, we want the best possible candidate. We have fun, we love what we do, and we give each other absolute grief as a means of releasing stress, often resulting in absolute hilarity. If you can't handle humorous ways to break up a stressful day, you may want to look elsewhere. )
    Last edited by Douglas; 04-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Ouch. I was really hoping to not have to post this bit... however...

If you come into our live chat and tie up any of our support guys (which are not involved in the hiring decisions, BTW), you've taken yourself out of consideration. Our on-shift staff need to be focussed on taking care of our customers.

If you truly have questions about this position, even after carefully reading this entire thread, email management (I'm going to make you work for this... dig through our site and find our management email address. It's mentioned in a few places.), please.
      0 Not allowed!

We've found one of our two next big stars (Microsoft MVP Candidate, no less! WOOHOO!)... got a second one that we'll be making an offer to, very shortly...

I should have a better idea before this weekend is over as to whether this second star accepts.

To all applicants that followed the requested guidelines (including specific subject formatting), YOU ROCK! I appreciate the attention to detail that you've shown. If the second offer falls through, we'll probably contact a couple more candidates and keep this posting open.

To all applicants that didn't follow the requested guidelines, you weren't selected/contacted because you didn't follow exact directions. You might want to pay a little closer attention to detail in the future.

To all, thank you!
      0 Not allowed!

Both positions have now been filled.

Sending a request to close this, thank you!
      0 Not allowed!