hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion : Payment Options - Paypal vs, 2checkout

Forum Jump

Payment Options - Paypal vs, 2checkout

Reply Post New Thread In Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 PM

Payment Options - Paypal vs, 2checkout

I am in the process of getting everything set up for Joromo (my hosting company) and I’ve set up Paypal. I’ve read a lot of positive things about 2checkout on this site but I had a question for those that are using their service.

According to their fee schedule they are charging a 5.5% commission + $0.45 fee for each transaction processed through them (in addition to the $49 setup fee). So on a $50 transaction, it’s costing me $2.75 + $0.45 or $3.20 total. Now according to Paypal's fee schedule, they are charging 2.9% commission + $0.30 fee on all transactions making my cost on the same transaction only $1.45 + $0.30 or $1.75 total. So in all, I’ve saved $1.45 using Paypal for the same transaction which isn’t a lot but compounded over a few hundred clients and you are talking significant money.

So In saying all that, why do people choose to use 2checkout? I understand the argument for providing more payment options but Google Checkout, for example, has the exact same pricing structure as Paypal and provides similar options. So why 2checkout?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

As far as I'm aware you can use 2checkout's API to accept credit cards on your website.

That is the only advantage I'm aware of. Could be mistaken though..

Old 04-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Web Hosting Master

So goes google checkout. But seems far more powerful and competitive than 2CO

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Support Facility

In comparisons paypal seems to be cheaper options overall and lower commission rate as compared to 2CO.

Technical Articles

Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Dude View Post
As far as I'm aware you can use 2checkout's API to accept credit cards on your website.

That is the only advantage I'm aware of. Could be mistaken though..
Paypal offers the same ability for a fee

Old 04-04-2010, 02:09 AM

I dont know about google checkout, but man paypal fees suck for large transactions. A client sent 250$ and they took off nearly 10$ or something...

Oh well XD

until we find some other alternative

regards,
Ryan

Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Web Hosting Master

I think it is always good to accept PayPal and Google as they are the big names everyone knows and trusts.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Disabled

Its mainly to do with bank cards, i personally use google checkout when the client says "My paypal wont let me use my card".

You get it alot, but yes googlecheckout, paypal and moneybookers. I don't know why people use hundreds of different ones, they all do the same job.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOwens View Post
Its mainly to do with bank cards, i personally use google checkout when the client says "My paypal wont let me use my card".

You get it alot, but yes googlecheckout, paypal and moneybookers. I don't know why people use hundreds of different ones, they all do the same job.
I guess some customers do not trust Paypal (plenty of horror stories on the internets) but trust Google. Or vice-versa. Stick to only one of them and, sure enough, this or that customer will refuse to buy from you. Give your customers choice and they will be more likely to buy what you're selling.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Web Hosting Guru

I would prefer to use paypal but giving the customer's more then 1 choice would be much better

Old 04-04-2010, 03:58 PM
a lazy evangelist ...

Quote:
So In saying all that, why do people choose to use 2checkout? I understand the argument for providing more payment options but Google Checkout, for example, has the exact same pricing structure as Paypal and provides similar options. So why 2checkout?
One of the common reason of using 2CO is paypal doesn't support lots of the countries which 2CO does. Moreover, people use 2CO as a Direct Credit Card payment gateway.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

I don't know about 2CO but I use Paypal because it's easier and more people seem to have a PayPal on hand.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

you could offer both payment gateways, (if you want to pay the 2co $49 setup fee)

Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 AM
WHT Addict

I've had issues in the past with 2checkout and tangible services, paypal's been great.

I hear horror stories over frozen accounts @ paypal too though, so I guess its a whatever works best for your particular type of transactions

Old 04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Also you can use 2CO and accept paypal through 2CO gateway.

http://www.j-hosting.ru