hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : What Kind of Memory For This Motherboard
Reply

Forum Jump

What Kind of Memory For This Motherboard

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 AM
torrentplace torrentplace is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 258

What Kind of Memory For This Motherboard


What kind of ECC Registered Server Memory do I need for this Server Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813182210

I have bought this memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134943 and it did not work, the motherboard started beeping, tried all slots and same thing.

But this Unbuffered Server Memory works perfectly fine - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139041

But I need a ECC Registered Server Memory and I can't seem to find the right one.



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 AM
houkouonchi houkouonchi is offline
Web Hosting Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 531
I think most of the 1156 CPU's require DDR3 1333 memory? That might be your problem as otherwise I don't see any reason that memory wouldn't work except for possibly the fact that the CPU needs 1333 and you gave it 1066.

Not 100% sure on this though. I seem to recall the memory is pretty locked on these newer xeons (My E5530 won't allow me to run my memory at DDR-1333 and instead they run at 1066).

I would say its either that or you got a bad batch. You said it works in the other board but did you run memtest x86 on it?


Last edited by houkouonchi; 04-02-2010 at 04:31 AM.
  #3  
Old 04-02-2010, 05:01 AM
NodePlex NodePlex is offline
Aspiring Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 426
I would think similar issues apply as are in this thread on the X8SIL board (Must be x8 chips):

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=895830

__________________
NodePlex LLC

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 04-02-2010, 11:12 AM
cwl@apaqdigital cwl@apaqdigital is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentplace View Post
What kind of ECC Registered Server Memory do I need for this Server Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813182210

I have bought this memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134943 and it did not work, the motherboard started beeping, tried all slots and same thing.

But this Unbuffered Server Memory works perfectly fine - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139041

But I need a ECC Registered Server Memory and I can't seem to find the right one.
if you must use Kingston brand, this 2G ECC reg DDR3-1333 128Mx8 dual-rank module will work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...33D3D8R9S%2f2G
you can load up X8SIE board with 6pcs for 12G total.

__________________
C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
http://www.apaqdigital.com
sales@apaqdigital.com


  #5  
Old 04-02-2010, 11:58 AM
torrentplace torrentplace is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
if you must use Kingston brand, this 2G ECC reg DDR3-1333 128Mx8 dual-rank module will work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...33D3D8R9S%2f2G
you can load up X8SIE board with 6pcs for 12G total.
What about a 4GB stick?

With a 4 GB stick I could have a total of 24 GB memory.

  #6  
Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 PM
cwl@apaqdigital cwl@apaqdigital is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentplace View Post
What about a 4GB stick?

With a 4 GB stick I could have a total of 24 GB memory.
to use 6pcs 4G ECC registered sticks, you must use dual-rank 128Mx8 modules, and they are over $300 per 4G (DDR3-1066)!:
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...1066D3D8R7S/4G

for 4pcs 4G (16G total) you can use much cheaper quad-rank modules:
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...3Q8R7S/4G&id=1

forget about 4G DDR3-1333 ECC registered 128Mx8, they are basically non-existing.

__________________
C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
http://www.apaqdigital.com
sales@apaqdigital.com


  #7  
Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 PM
torrentplace torrentplace is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
to use 6pcs 4G ECC registered sticks, you must use dual-rank 128Mx8 modules, and they are over $300 per 4G (DDR3-1066)!:
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...1066D3D8R7S/4G

for 4pcs 4G (16G total) you can use much cheaper quad-rank modules:
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...3Q8R7S/4G&id=1

forget about 4G DDR3-1333 ECC registered 128Mx8, they are basically non-existing.
Thank you, so my best choice would be to go along with the 2 GB RAM sticks, right?

  #8  
Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 PM
cwl@apaqdigital cwl@apaqdigital is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,768
on cost per gig bassis, sure, 2G sticks make sense! however, as long as you need to go over 12G RAM total, then you have no choice but to mess with 4G sticks which have much higher cost per gig.

__________________
C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
http://www.apaqdigital.com
sales@apaqdigital.com


  #9  
Old 04-02-2010, 01:04 PM
torrentplace torrentplace is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
on cost per gig bassis, sure, 2G sticks make sense! however, as long as you need to go over 12G RAM total, then you have no choice but to mess with 4G sticks which have much higher cost per gig.
Yeah, the 4 GB sticks seem to be pretty expensive compared to the 2 x 2GB sticks.

I think I will start with the 2 GB sticks

  #10  
Old 04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
torrentplace torrentplace is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 258
Just to confirm this memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139038) will work with this motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...kim1132X529831) correct?

  #11  
Old 04-04-2010, 04:13 PM
techjr techjr is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentplace View Post
Just to confirm this memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139038) will work with this motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...kim1132X529831) correct?
It says it does in the specifications

  #12  
Old 04-04-2010, 05:19 PM
torrentplace torrentplace is offline
Web Hosting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by techjr View Post
It says it does in the specifications
Alright, thank you very much, I hope this memory will work this time with my motherboard

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motherboard 'appropriating' memory? twhiting9275 Computers and Peripherals 15 05-10-2008 09:19 PM
Questions!! What kind of server will fit for this kind of site RackSlash Web Hosting 8 11-29-2005 03:56 PM
Freebsd: sendfile kernel memory disclosure (kind of critical) Steven Hosting Security and Technology 1 04-05-2005 06:09 AM
What do you use for system diagnostic software (test memory, drives, motherboard etc) 4tari Colocation and Data Centers 3 03-05-2005 05:44 PM
Is there this kind of website who pay attetion to this kind of company? LJH Web Hosting 2 10-28-2003 08:42 PM

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
App-Aware Storage Provider Tintri Raises $75M in Pre-IPO Funding Round Web Hosting News 2014-02-13 12:56:26
HealthCare.gov Lead Contractor CGI Federal to be Dropped for Accenture Web Hosting News 2014-01-14 09:23:00
Open Compute Project Brings Rivals Together to Develop Server Motherboard Web Hosting News 2013-01-16 17:11:58
Peak Hosting Launches Dell R815 Dedicated Server for Large Scale Memory Requirements Web Hosting News 2012-07-13 14:31:31
New Piston Cloud Partnership Brings Virtual Desktop Infrastructure to OpenStack Web Hosting News 2012-06-26 12:21:10


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?