BUILDING AN ONLINE STORE

hi guys i am planning on making an online store (ecommerce). I am looking to make a simple website with good cart system and good checkout option, wither user friendly interface and navigation around the website. Now there is no secret which product i wanna use , i am the business of cellphone accessories retail for quite some time now . and i am finally deciding that i wanna jump in online world to get some money share out of it. i did some research but little confuse and scared where to start or where to jump. I do have some ideas

website that i think i would like to have (overall look and cart system)?

ww.wirelessemporium.com/

website i don't want to end up buidling one like this ?

ww.westsidecellular.com/

now both website above cell cellphone accessories but there is big difference in there approach of how they have presented there product on there website and the overall look. wireless emporium is very modern looking with easy navigation around the website with wonderful cart check out , on the other hand the west side cellular is very old looking with not so user friendly naviagition on the website.

Overall i am looking to build a simple website not as heavt as wireless emporium because other wise that will definetley cost me several thousands of dollars which i don't have in the starting to spend that much on it . So i am looking similar idea . any help is appreicated .

thanks and regards,
    ak.89

anybody can help please?

The first domain dosn't work. Could you fix it. Whats your budget on web hosting do you know anything about web hosting or are you a total new comer into the industry?

hi just put the w in the www because the post was not leting me post the live links so i couldn't add another w. if u even search them wireless eporium they wil come on up on google. my budget is under 1000 dollars. I am new comer but i can learn faster

So mainly you want a site that for example looks like bestbuy.com? I don't know of any good cart scripts. Search google, Do you expect a lot of people coming to your site during the first months of live? Ill look on google for a cart system like that and post link here. I think you should go on a shared hosting plan for a while and then upgrade to a server. Do you have a MSN or AIM messanger so we can massage each other other than waiting for each other to post a new post.

Have you took alook at Oscommerce ?
    You have a good budget and could easily have a nice site up and running.

I myself is in the process of building an online store.

Their is also many of good websites which sell premium oscommerce templates which would give your site a nice feel to.

You could easily achive what you want with oscommerce and a premium template, plus hosting, plus domain, plus ssl, For well under $500

Regards
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

hi thanks for the reply i check the oscommerce website i don't like there system like i went to there couple of live carts they put in each category but it doesn't attract me anything.

what cart system wireless eporium using? it looks new very bold and good.

also anybody can help me build website like i am willing to work . just don't know how to start.

I think at first the site's layout you would be do well.

Then you should choose color,Cannot too deep or too shallow.
    Good luck with you.

Hi

what skills do you have in building it and what budget are you getting this done with.

Jon
    JonHos.com provides Independent and In-Depth eCommerce Platform Consultancy Services Worldwide.

View our latest report: "The Definitive eCommerce Platform Report - 2010 Edition" for Small and Medium Business.

Quote Originally Posted by ak89 View Post
    hi thanks for the reply i check the oscommerce website i don't like there system like i went to there couple of live carts they put in each category but it doesn't attract me anything.

what cart system wireless eporium using? it looks new very bold and good.

also anybody can help me build website like i am willing to work . just don't know how to start.
    Am slighty confused, How can a cart system look "new" and "bold" I think you are mentioning their template here, I wouldnt be suprised if their not using an free system as from a quick look at their sources reads acouple of free scripts being ran.

You can of course go for a system which you have to install within the website.

The website wireless eporium is running doesnt look all that professional when we boil down to what graphic designers and html/php experts can achive these days, From looking at the site and not going into much detail i would say its just a free system like oscommerce just reskined so it doesnt look like a free system.

Theirs a handful of premium mobile phone templates available for oscommerce which i think look better than wireless eporium.

I personaly think that this skin is better than what wirelesseporium has for offer http://www.templatehelp.com/preset/p...62IWQ99K6M5Kvp

Of course you can change things like the logo and replace it with a custom one.

Its just worth a though to be honest.

You can spend $1,000 but at the end of it, i bet i could have a site nearly as good which only cost $200

Regards

hi but do u know like which cart system they have because honestly i like the cart system of wireless eporium to much is very good for cellphone accessories product.
    Last edited by ak89; 04-01-2010 at 06:52 PM.

hi but do u know like which cart system they have because honestly i like the cart system of wireless eporium to much is very good for cellphone accessories product.
    I think its google checkout integrated using API.

Regards

Hi
    if your budget is under 1000 dollars I would recommend you choose an hosted option.

$1k can't go far unless you have some development or web design skills.
    JonHos.com provides Independent and In-Depth eCommerce Platform Consultancy Services Worldwide.

View our latest report: "The Definitive eCommerce Platform Report - 2010 Edition" for Small and Medium Business.

so what u think i can go with godaddy or yahoo ecommerce store to make something like this?

Hello.I come here again.

I think the investment cost is very important.

so what u think i can go with godaddy or yahoo ecommerce store to make something like this?
    I wouldnt really say godaddy or yahoo ecommerce is a professional platform.

For the cost you stated would get you :

Oscommerce.
    Premium oscommerce template.
    Installation.
    Domain.
    Hosting.

I dont know what you dont like about oscommerce and its not allways what you like, you have to think about the public, oscommerce is tried and tested with over 200,000 stores using it, Plus with about 100,000 different templates/skins available for it. Plus a heap of add ons.

Best of all its completly free apart from the premium templates so all your going to be paying for is the installation and setup.

Wheres if you went for the one off design you would have to pay for design, installation, integration and setup but please expect to pay $1k at least for a design, So you would need to up your overall budget to at least around the $3k mark to even entertain any designers.

Good designers work at like anything from $200 an HOUR

Regards

hi guys i am planning on making an online store (ecommerce). I am looking to make a simple website with good cart system and good checkout option, wither user friendly interface and navigation around the website. Now there is no secret which product i wanna use , i am the business of cellphone accessories retail for quite some time now . and i am finally deciding that i wanna jump in online world to get some money share out of it. i did some research but little confuse and scared where to start or where to jump. I do have some ideas

website that i think i would like to have (overall look and cart system)?

ww.wirelessemporium.com/

website i don't want to end up buidling one like this ?

ww.westsidecellular.com/

now both website above cell cellphone accessories but there is big difference in there approach of how they have presented there product on there website and the overall look. wireless emporium is very modern looking with easy navigation around the website with wonderful cart check out , on the other hand the west side cellular is very old looking with not so user friendly naviagition on the website.

Overall i am looking to build a simple website not as heavt as wireless emporium because other wise that will definetley cost me several thousands of dollars which i don't have in the starting to spend that much on it . So i am looking similar idea . any help is appreicated .

thanks and regards,
    ak.89
    You're right, wireless emporium looks 1000% better than west side cellular. You have good taste.

You have a couple of options. You can get your own hosting account and then install one of many free cart scripts on the site. But then in order to make it look anywhere near wireless emporium, you will need to do significant modifications to the default design. You said you aren't that well versed in HTML or graphic design, so you might find this option quite challenging. One option is to look at the cart scripts and see what other design templates are available for them. Personally, I hate OSC. Of all the free cart scripts, my preference is www.zen-cart.com .

Another option you have is to go with a paid cart solution. My absolute favorite is www.pinnaclecart.com . It's not cheap, but you always get what you pay for. They offer 2 options - hosted solution and straight out purchase of script. Their hosted solution is 55 bucks a month, but that includes your hosting, plus a whole bunch of other freebies (SSL Cert, etc). Currently, it also includes a free design template. They have a few very nice clean modern designs. The other option other than the hosted solution is the fully paid script, but that is 800 bucks, but still within your budget, especially if you decide to use one of their free upgrade design templates. Again, PC is not cheap, but believe me, there are plenty of retail sites out there that have spent many thousands to build their carts, so by comparison, $800 isn't bad.

Good luck.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by SLDHosting View Post
    I wouldnt really say godaddy or yahoo ecommerce is a professional platform.

i am on the border between godaddy and volusion. Why wouldn't you recommend godaddy?

thx

Hi Ak89,

What is your max budget and skills, and I can recommend one.

If you can't tell us that, then it is near impossible to let you know the best platform which suits your business.

Regards Jon

Quote Originally Posted by ldanny View Post
    i am on the border between godaddy and volusion. Why wouldn't you recommend godaddy?

thx
    Godaddy is great for cheap hosting, I use it for some of my projects, personal blog, etc. but, at times, support is slow. But who can blame them, a $3.50/month hosting account literally means that a phone call from you just set them back 2-3 months of profit.

I suggest you also take a look at 3dcart (www.3dcart.com), they have a solution that is very similar to volusion when it comes to features and support, but, they are a little less expensive. I looked at both a while back and went with 3dCart after trying the demo.

The best advise I can give you however is to try all the solutions and go with the one you find the easiest to use, and, at least, call support department once to see how fast they get on the phone to help you.

how about virtuemart? doesn't seem like zen-cart is getting updated anymore.

and just pay a small fee and buy a template and good to go
    http://www.websitetemplates.bz/virtu...templates.html

Quote Originally Posted by ldanny View Post

thx
    Its not that i dont recommend go daddy, Its that if you wont an ecommerce site you will need to use ecommerce scripts and the rest of it, By all means use go daddy to host with and install your ecommerce script via FTP or fantastico.

Regards

Thanks.. I found out the hard way with Godaddy, their cart is very limited in the functions and options it can do. But it was very easy to use for a noobie like me. I plan to go live w/ Godaddy's cart until I finish building another site with OSC. Good thing is that Godaddy pro-rates if you cancel.

At least I know what I want in a cart. =)