hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Cloud Hosting : Cloud or Load Balanced Servers

Forum Jump

Cloud or Load Balanced Servers

Reply Post New Thread In Cloud Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Cloud or Load Balanced Servers

Hi All,

i've just joined WHT after years of being out of the hosting industry i've finally got back into it. I researched the ultimate hosting solution for 6 months (at least 2 hours a day) I finally decided to setup a Load Balanced hosting solution using CPANEL/RVSKIN/Fantastico etc. with custom cron jobs which copies over the httpd.conf file etc. Anyhow after months of getting it all setup I now have my website online offering fully redundant load balanced hosting, however from what I read about the cloud I may have made the wrong decision about which setup to use.

Can someone let me know their thoughts please

I'm planning on offering virtual website hosting on a fully redundant mirrored setup etc. (UK)

thx in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Web Hosting Master

It depends what you consider a cloud? There are many meanings. Same with load balancing... there are many ways to do this.

You could get VPSes @ VPS.net and be on a cloud platform already and then implement your own load balancing to them. This would be extremely cost effective too.

There isn't exactly anything wrong with your setup.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM

phew, was getting a bit worried as my setup is very expensive!

I don't really know enough about the cloud really to give my definition on it, I suppose its just like good ole microcomputing or am I miles off

thx for help Katatonic

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Web Hosting Master

A cloud is simply x number of servers pooled together for redundancy on a hardware level.

I.E that way if a node goes down whatever they're running will still stay up. It's highly scalable and dynamic, you can also use the cloud as a single entity - break it up with virtualization (this is what Amazon do), or pretty much whatever.

That's the general idea, but many people have their own opinions of what a cloud is and there's no real solid definition, just really depends on how you want to deploy (or what restricts most people) how much you can afford.

Your solution seems like one of those ones that really are designed "not to break", without getting into the debate of the best way to achieve this, I can see why your setup would be expensive.

Good luck with it all.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by layersevenhosting View Post
Hi All,

i've just joined WHT after years of being out of the hosting industry i've finally got back into it. I researched the ultimate hosting solution for 6 months (at least 2 hours a day) I finally decided to setup a Load Balanced hosting solution using CPANEL/RVSKIN/Fantastico etc. with custom cron jobs which copies over the httpd.conf file etc. Anyhow after months of getting it all setup I now have my website online offering fully redundant load balanced hosting, however from what I read about the cloud I may have made the wrong decision about which setup to use.

Can someone let me know their thoughts please

I'm planning on offering virtual website hosting on a fully redundant mirrored setup etc. (UK)

thx in advance
If it's all your own infrastructure to build your own "cloud" then of course it's going to be expensive.

If you're piggy-backing off someone else's infrastructure it might be cheaper, but it may not be the setup you want.

With any business project, it might fail miserably, it might just make it, or you may be lucky and it strike's gold.

If you really think there's a market for your product, then go for it!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:41 PM

I initially set it up just to service one website (elitetele.com) however that site is only using 0.02% of system resources so I want to re-sell the rest of the space available and hopefully sell it for more than what we are paying now. We are not a small company (have 150+ employees) so this is just another business avenue to go down.

I just need to get the pricing right because we've already got a direct route to market through our existing client base.

My initial thoughts are telling me to go for mass volume and offer the fully redundant load balanced solution + cpanel at the same cost as standard website hosting. thx for the advice / help all

Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Web Hosting Master

I think you've got something interesting if you can market it in the right way. Basing it around cPanel could be both a strength and a weakness though.