A question about VPS bandwidth

I currently offer hosting from a reseller account on a shared server.

Some of my clients are starting to use up the 300GB bandwidth im allocated. So im thinking of moving up and looking at VPS servers. My problem is that most of the VPS servers offer around 500GB-700GB bandwidth which is not much more than a shared server.

I guess most people move up to VPS because of the increase in traffic to their sites, this obviously would mean an increase in bandwidth so why is the bandwidth so low on standard VPS hosting?

Thanks, lyn

The bandwidth you are given on a VPS is often more available than the amounts given on a shared/reseller server. Basically it is more reliable to get large amounts of bandwidth on a VPS compared to shared/reseller hosting. Most providers would be able to give you extra bandwidth for extra cost as an add on to your service plan.

why is the bandwidth so low on standard VPS hosting?
    you can get a $6 vps with 3300GB bandwith, I am sure it can beat any reseller offering.

Typically bandwidth is heavily oversold on Shared servers because let's face it, 98% of users wont get close to using 1/10th of their allowance.

A much higher percentage of users will use thier bandwidth on VPS, hence the difference in allowances.

Might be an idea to look for a provider who offers say 10Mbit unmetered option on VPS then you have no worries about hitting bandwidth limits.

You may want to consider getting bandwidth instead of a data transfer quota. If its too much, you can consider getting a dedicated bandwidth.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by lynux View Post
    I currently offer hosting from a reseller account on a shared server.

Some of my clients are starting to use up the 300GB bandwidth im allocated. So im thinking of moving up and looking at VPS servers. My problem is that most of the VPS servers offer around 500GB-700GB bandwidth which is not much more than a shared server.

I guess most people move up to VPS because of the increase in traffic to their sites, this obviously would mean an increase in bandwidth so why is the bandwidth so low on standard VPS hosting?

Thanks, lyn
    Bandwidth in shared is oversold to extremes.
    Simply put, they'll try hard to find a reason to suspend you once you use more than what they think is reasonable in shared hosting, which is typically much less than 100gb.
    In comparison, VPSes sell bandwidth that aren't usually oversold.
    (Of course, exceptions exist for both, so take caution).

Perhaps you should consider moving to companies renowned for their low bandwidth pricing, like BurstNET (1000gb = 5.95) or Enotch (3300gb = 6.95).
    BurstNET owns a datacenter and I've found them reliable, whereas I've pushed 20-30mbps on Enotch before.

Maybe try and look around for a higher bandwidth or maybe PM a few people on here that host them, maybe you can get a good price with good bandwidth

Most people move to VPS because they need to use guaranteed resources and want to develop and maintain their projects in an isolated and customized environment. VPS isn't good for overselling, although anyone would oversell on VPS exactly the same way the do on a Reseller account. And to make it clear I do not mean you do this! It is just a figure of speech.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Most hosting companies offerred you a lot of bandwidth unmetterred/umlimited but put you with a 10mbps port with many other clients. With many clients and 10mbps or 5mbps port, you can't barely get 50Gb or 100Gb per month. I know Dreamhost and Hostgator would throttle your site to 1 or 2mbps if you use too much of their unlimited bandwidth.
    OneNetwork.Net >> Web Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers
    ██ Raid Options on All Servers
    ███ 14 Day Money Back Guarantee
    ████ http://www.OneNetwork.net

I see a lot of "beating around the bush" in this thread and I'm going to try to cut to the chase:

Shared customers aren't nearly as likely to use their entire allocations as VPS customers and as such the provider can't take the same risks with VPS plans as they can shared plans.

No matter what the plan is (shared,vps,dedicated) the bandwidth is not cheap for the provider itself and the more a client is likely to use of their allocation the provider either has to increase the price or decrease the allocation.

Since most of the hosting industry is price-driven it results in smaller allocations at lower prices.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.