hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : warez reports

Forum Jump

warez reports

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 03:12 AM
WHT Addict

warez reports

And so as the tile says,

When I reported one of their customers using their dedicated servers hosting warez, they deliberately ignored me saying that they could not put on an investigation without proper proof. That's fine with me. When I found a link that points to their server and reported it again, they now answer that they would take proper action against the abuser.

However, what they did was only asked him to remove that particular file hosted on their server. Nothing more. After asking why they did not take further action, they simply did not reply to me. Thus, this topic pops up to tell the world that Burst.net actually allow warez hosters to slide.

So, I would like to hear the comments and opinions of the public. Do we really need sufficient evidence to proof that the action done was right by Burst.net? When one link was found, they did not take further action against their abusers? Although I'm not the owner of those files, but I do take the time to report abusers. So, private users who host illegal files would never get caught if it is always necessary to ask reporters to proof it?

Well no more, I won't care much about what goes next, but I just want to hear your opinion.

Actually, I've did several reports on a few Datacentres as well, that includes The Planet. But they won't proceed unless sufficient evidence is found.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 03:20 AM
WebHosting Master

When you're as big as Burst.NET, you'll realize that there are many abusers (esp. kids) who just want to bring down a competitors site. If they take action irresponsibly without proper proof, they put themselves liable for any damages done to the customer if it was not warranted.

Secondly, you need to report the entire site with sufficient proof that the purpose of the site is to engage in sharing copyrighted material. Otherwise, it's extremely simple for a kid to post a few copyrighted materials on a forum and simply report the site for hosting copyrighted material.

Finally, since you do not own the copyright, your words do not carry as much weight as a rights owner. You should really inform the owners of the copyright and get them to deal with it - it's their property after all and they have much better resources/lawyers to handle such matters.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:22 AM
Community Liaison

https://www.burst.net/policy/terms.shtml
Quote:
Policy Violations:
BurstNET™ may, at any time, audit systems for any data/activity showing potential policy violations.

Warnings: The BurstNET™ Abuse Dept makes an attempt to contact the client, via email, when the first sign of a possible violation is noted. These alerts are a courtesy. Responses to such alerts are required. If an alert is received from any BurstNET™ staff member, the client is responsible for acknowledging his/her understanding and citing any action planned or taken, within 24 hours of the notice. Failure to do so may lead to suspension. Repeated failure to do so may result in termination.

Note: It is extremely important to ensure that the email address on record with the BurstNET™ Customer Service Dept is valid. This is the address used for abuse notifications and warnings.
As per their ToS for violations BurstNET is not required take further action, Said abuser will be contacted by BurstNET abuse team and they must reply within 24 hours, If they reply and resolve the abuse complaint nothing else will be said. If they fail to comply within 24 hours however well read the ToS And you'll see.

From what i can tell if the content was removed then the case is closed as far as BurstNET is concerned. They done their job.

Edit:

I suggest doing #3 of the above poster.

EX: Pirated WHMCS Software, Contact WHMCS -> WHMCS Contacts the Host (In this case being BurstNET) -> BurstNET contacts you. Simple as that.

█ Out with the pony old, in with the new!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 03:05 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepx View Post
And so as the tile says,

When I reported one of their customers using their dedicated servers hosting warez, they deliberately ignored me saying that they could not put on an investigation without proper proof. That's fine with me. When I found a link that points to their server and reported it again, they now answer that they would take proper action against the abuser.

However, what they did was only asked him to remove that particular file hosted on their server. Nothing more. After asking why they did not take further action, they simply did not reply to me. Thus, this topic pops up to tell the world that Burst.net actually allow warez hosters to slide.

So, I would like to hear the comments and opinions of the public. Do we really need sufficient evidence to proof that the action done was right by Burst.net? When one link was found, they did not take further action against their abusers? Although I'm not the owner of those files, but I do take the time to report abusers. So, private users who host illegal files would never get caught if it is always necessary to ask reporters to proof it?

Well no more, I won't care much about what goes next, but I just want to hear your opinion.

Actually, I've did several reports on a few Datacentres as well, that includes The Planet. But they won't proceed unless sufficient evidence is found.
Most of the larger hosting facilities will have a strict requirement on copyright notices for several reasons.

First, a hosting company has no idea if there were software distribution agreements made between the customer and the content owner.

Second, malicious abuse reports between competitors are more common than one would think.

Second.5, many people report abuse for content that they think is wrong. Much of this content turns out to be completely legal and not a violation of the AUP. Their intentions are always good, but the implications are unknown to them.

Third, the hosting company should work with their customers on these issues. There could be multiple companies between the person who posted the content and the hosting company.

Third.5, the hosting company may not retain administrative access to the server where the content is and will not be able to remove the specific content.

Fourth, shutting a server down that could potentially hold up to a thousand sites, or beyond, because of one site's content would have an impact that probably outweighs the value of the copyright content itself.

Best course of action is to notify the copyright owners of the content and let them submit the DMCA complaints. At some point, the complaints will add up and the hosting company will increase pressure.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:04 AM
WHT Addict

BurstNET does not allow warez to slide.

As other posters have indicated, there are many reasons that a complaint may not get the results you expect.

From your description of the situation, it seems that providers hosting the material you found could not proceed without additional documentation, including DMCA notices sent by the copyright holders or their designated representatives.

Please also consider that providers may not act on some complaints at all if servers are under investigation or other circumstances do not allow material to be removed.

If given more specific details (including ticket numbers), I can check the complaint you made and follow-up replies.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Web Hosting Master

You can't really do anything too much about it other than to contact, owner of server, owner of copyrighted material and that's just about it.