hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Cloud Hosting : moving from dedicated to the cloud

Forum Jump

moving from dedicated to the cloud

Reply Post New Thread In Cloud Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 PM

moving from dedicated to the cloud

I'm currently on a dedicated server with Wiredtree and can only say that their support and service are excellent.

I only have one site on my server and traffic is slow, because I haven't dedicated much time to promoting the site.

I'm looking to cut cost and spend the money saved on advertising my site. Unfortunately Wiredtree only offers dedicated servers and VPS set ups. My current monthly cost for the dedicated server is around $300. So I'm thinking of moving to the Rackspace Cloud or Liquidweb's Storm.

My biggest question is which one. Rackspace's Cloud has been up and running for a while and Liquidweb's Storm is brand new. Both Rackspace and Liquidweb are solid companies with solid records.

With Rackspace I would take their cloud site set up for $149/month. With Liquidweb's storm I would pick the lowest one for $50/month and go from there.

Will I be loosing much speed of my site by going to a cloud set up vs my dedicated server?

Sorry for my vague descriptions. I'm still learning about the world of web hosting.

Any help or suggestions are always appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

Keep in mind that the RackSpace Cloud (from what I know about it) is entirely different from dedicated hosting or even shared hosting. The control panel is proprietary and the way you have to set scripts up to run is different from a dedicated server. This may or may not be an issue for you so I suggest you research it.

I don't know anything about the LiquidWeb Storm, so I can't comment.

If you have only one site and the traffic is slow, why not just go with a medium to higher end shared hosting account at a reputable provider and save yourself some money?

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Community Liaison

Moved > Cloud Hosting .

You are most welcome to email me at sales @ jonesolutions.com .

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Elite Webmaster

From what I undestand from cloud hosting, your website should always be running smooth. If you do get traffic spikes, your site will then tap into more servers from the cloud to keep up with the increased performance demand your site required.

However, if you think you might be over doing it a lil bit (as you're not receiving much traffic). Why don't you try something like semi-dedicated hosting, as Mike mentioned?

U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
If you have only one site and the traffic is slow, why not just go with a medium to higher end shared hosting account at a reputable provider and save yourself some money?
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean by that a VPS set up? Sorry for the beginner question? That's the only other alternative Wiredtree offers.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Think about your application before moving to cloud, sometimes in cloud you will face coding and architecture problems with your portal or application.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Corporate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendter View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean by that a VPS set up? Sorry for the beginner question? That's the only other alternative Wiredtree offers.
Get a managed high end VPS. Solves all your problems.

Its cheaper; your aim is to reduce costs?
Its managed; you don't have to break your head on the technical aspect, concentrate on advertising and business management

If your site is still just starting up (traffic wise), going into Cloud can become rather expensive soon. Your profits will still be less, where as the cost for your cloud will keep on increasing. However, depending on your business plan, Cloud computing can suit you.

Infinite Technologies
- Dedicated Servers with 32GB RAM and 64 IPs at EvoSwitch/ Netherlands

Old 03-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Keep in mind that the RackSpace Cloud (from what I know about it) is entirely different from dedicated hosting or even shared hosting. The control panel is proprietary and the way you have to set scripts up to run is different from a dedicated server.
Don't you just create a "cloud server" which is a VPS - then you're free to do whatever you want?

Why would setting up scripts on a VPS be different to a dedicated server?

Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
Don't you just create a "cloud server" which is a VPS - then you're free to do whatever you want?

Why would setting up scripts on a VPS be different to a dedicated server?
That's not how the RackSpace Cloud works. It's not a CloudServer but a Cloud service... Hence me pointing out it may not work as expected.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
That's not how the RackSpace Cloud works. It's not a CloudServer but a Cloud service... Hence me pointing out it may not work as expected.
think you are confusing Rackspace's different products. They have Cloudsites (based on their mosso legacy platform) and Cloudservers (sort of based on their acquisition of sliceshost). The latter can be managed like any other server.

D

Give it a spin at www.TryOnApp.com, and see why we're behind 1 out of 3 public clouds online.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 PM

Yes, I was looking for input on the cloudsites option. Basically I'm looking for a managed solution that is cloud or vps based.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eming View Post
think you are confusing Rackspace's different products. They have Cloudsites (based on their mosso legacy platform) and Cloudservers (sort of based on their acquisition of sliceshost). The latter can be managed like any other server.

D
I was referring to the cloud where you're not given a Xen VPS so I believe that would be Cloud Sites as it's what I think when I think RackSpace Cloud.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM
WHT Addict

Hi,

If you have one site, currently, what app. stack is it using? Is it using Linux Apache MySQL PHP? If you have just one OS/homogeneous stack, why not use cloud sites, instead on rackspace. It will mean lower costs and greater flexibility for you to deploy your site and its application.

Thanks,
Sam

Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 PM

who told you about rackspace? have you looked at other companies and compared what they have to offer?? bigger companies usually are more expensive and they do not spend as much time on the customer and their site and business. Smaller companies are able to pay more attention to your needs.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 PM

If you would like we can talk and I can provide you companies that can meet your needs and would be able to manage the server or hosting account. They will be able to give you more one on one support and make sure they provide what you are needing for a lot cheaper.