Do you accept payments from UNREGISTERED Paypal account?

Someone with unregistered account recently place an order and I checked his account was Non-US Unregistered. I actually hesitate either want to accept or decline this order. What would you do?

I'd say just use your best judgement. Try to verify the client in other ways. I've seen stuff like this go both ways.

It is up to your own judgement.If he has provided enough information about his company and what he is intending to do, I would accept it.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

With new orders like that its best to first check IP with location provided on sign up.

If they don't match then don't go ahead with the order. If its a free email either then I would not go ahead with it.

I would gather enough information from that new sign-up user, and verify any related data with that information (from the IP address, country, etc.).
    If everything is ok and all information seem to be valid then go ahead to accept the order.
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

do you mean unverified?

As far as paypal goes nothing is guaranteed. If you are in hosting or any other digital goods business expect some losses every month in paypal. As far as accepting paypal paymnts goes Id advise to accept verified paypal and make sure the email and other info match the paypal.

There is not much to lose.

The cpu cycles and bandwidth would have gone to waste anyways.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

There is much to lose. They will send massive spam mails. Your mail server will be in blacklist. They will have phishing site. Your IP will be blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by CDDHosting View Post
    With new orders like that its best to first check IP with location provided on sign up.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by CDDHosting View Post
    If they don't match then don't go ahead with the order. If its a free email either then I would not go ahead with it.
    Do not agree. Almost all of our clients have free e-mail.

We always ask ID confirmation (scanned copies of passports, driver license, etc)
    Hosting Planet Limited
    PHP/Perl hosting | Java/JSP/Servlet hosting
    http://www.planet-hosting.net
    http://www.j-hosting.ru

I do accept unverified paypal payments and have always been accepting those payments. I haven't had any problems or situations with it before and I hope not to get some in the future.

I'm curious what will be the case if the payment got reversed? Since the account isn't verified.

May be you can notify client situation and ask him to provide his legal identity like credit card copy, that way you can verify if it is real client or fraud order. And yes, matching location and ip is best way.

If the order seems suspicious, don't accept it or ask for more information. Being an unregistered PayPal order (which just means he ordered with credit card via PayPal, I think?) is probably lower fraud risk than being a real PayPal account, since it seems those are stolen 50% of the time anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting Planet View Post
    Do not agree. Almost all of our clients have free e-mail.

We always ask ID confirmation (scanned copies of passports, driver license, etc)
    I was meaning if the client has not got a verified email then I would not accept with a free IP.

We do, but we generally do some basic checking on the account to make sure things seem legit. Any of them that seem sketchy we mark to keep an eye on.

If your unsure you can always make a phone call and ask them what's up and to verify the details with you. At least you can say you didn't just blindly accept it.

I look at it worst case that I am going to lose the few bucks from them, and the bandwidth / disk isn't a issue since I already pay for the block of bandwidth I have.

Do some manual fraud checking of his profile.

I dont think anyone could pay with an PayPal account that does not have a verified credit card or bank account. They would have to enter their credit card details in the account or use PayPal as a normal payment gateway and enter the credit card details without logging in.

I think the problem is if the credit card is stolen. For my website I just wait 24 hours before giving the user his service.

hi

I say you weigh things and decide following your instinct. get the feel of the situation. depend on the user's information, if something is out of the ordinary, then you should refrain.

Best judgement and check IP and see if it is located in "suspect" country

Thank you guys, learned a lot here.

22. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!