hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Wierd DNS Issue

Forum Jump

Wierd DNS Issue

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Wierd DNS Issue

I have a domain i own and registered with godaddy. The domain is web-dns-server.net. I setup two hosts in godaddy's control panel, ns1.web-dns-server.net (which should point to 208.64.31.91) and ns2.web-dns-server.net (which should point to 76.164.229.8) both of which are configured with godaddy to point to the correct IP, however I cannot access any of my websites that use these name servers, i tried pinging the name servers and found them resolving to a diffrent IP (both resolved to 82.98.86.173) than what is configured with godaddy.

After contacting godaddy support they said,

"According to a whois lookup at the registry, ns1.web-dns-server.net and ns2.web-dns-server.net are pointing to the same IP addresses you have specified in the Domain Manager. I have included these results below:

Server Name: NS1.WEB-DNS-SERVER.NET
IP Address: 208.64.31.91
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com

Server Name: NS2.WEB-DNS-SERVER.NET
IP Address: 76.164.229.8
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com"

This appears however not to just be an isolated issue with me or my ISP, when I try to access one of my websites using an online proxy site (proxify.com and guardster.com) neither can find my site.

Any ideas as to what could be going on or how to resolve this issue?

http://pftkenya.org is one of the domains using these nameservers that aren't resolving, can anyone else confirm that they cannot access it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

GoDaddy still has your name servers set to ns1.sedoparking.com and ns2.sedoparking.com:

Code:
$ whois web-dns-server.net
 Domain servers in listed order:
      NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM
      NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM
If you're trying to point your domain at your own name servers, you'll need to register them as name servers servers (to add the glue record at the root servers) and then tell GoDaddy to use these new servers instead of the current ones.

I am not familiar with GoDaddy so I can't offer specific advice on how to use their interface to do this.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Sorry, I missed the domain you mentioned at the end. It's set up right, but you still need to fix the servers for web-dns-server.net. I believe those sedoparking.com servers are always going to return the same IP (for parking) no matter what subdomain or host you request. Until you fix this, ns1 and ns2.web-dns-server.net will resolve to 82.98.86.173 and no queries will make it to your own servers.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

i see what you're saying it appears that is the case because the name servers are resolving to the same IP as web-dns-server.net which i parked at sedo to make some money. Seems I will need to change that. Thanks for that insight.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Disabled

contact go daddy for tech support then