hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Game Servers : first dedicated server

Forum Jump

first dedicated server

Reply Post New Thread In Game Servers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 05:06 AM

first dedicated server

hello everyone i was getting ready to get a deditcated server but decided to get some information on things before i decided just need some opinions, I'm getting one to host a game server online but my friend is paying for it he has moved out of the states how would i go about doing this i know i need the ips from the dedicated server to run my server but just kinda new to whole deal just wanted few opinions.

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 05:37 AM
WHT Addict

If you are planning to run a game server you should have some knowledges in linux administration .It`s not so simple .

Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 AM
Web Hosting Master

Where does the server need to be located?
What operating system are you going to run on it, Linux, Unix or Windows?
Do you already have any experience with servers at all?

If you don't have experience, it's best to rent a game server from a game hosting company instead of renting a server and having to install / configure it all by yourself.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Community Liaison

Moved > Game Servers.

You are most welcome to email me at sales @ jonesolutions.com .

Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 AM

yea I'm not experienced at all with them I just know i need one to run my server I'm going to run, it's an online game friend was going to pay for it cause there like 80+ a month for decent dedi so if he paid for it would i still be able to use the benefits it provides and I've heard you can get them already set up or whatever I just know thats what i need to make my server run smoothly and will protect from ddos and other harmful things.

Any recommendations on a already set up server that can jus be purchased and ready to run a server, I think all i need really is the dedis server stable ip for the 24-7 uptime, also for the security protection.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer4sho View Post
yea I'm not experienced at all with them I just know i need one to run my server I'm going to run, it's an online game friend was going to pay for it cause there like 80+ a month for decent dedi so if he paid for it would i still be able to use the benefits it provides and I've heard you can get them already set up or whatever I just know thats what i need to make my server run smoothly and will protect from ddos and other harmful things.

Any recommendations on a already set up server that can jus be purchased and ready to run a server, I think all i need really is the dedis server stable ip for the 24-7 uptime, also for the security protection.
How many game servers do you plan to run just one ?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM

yea just one.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Disabled

Your best bet is just to run that single game server from a host going to be alot cheaper and save you alot of time.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM

a host so what exactly is that not acually having a dedi server but purchasing one thats already hosted for your needs of the dedi cause all i need it for is ip and security for my server but if my friend that has moved away pays for it how would that work, could he just give me the details like the dedicated IP address then I could just use it right, would my server still be secured?

Old 02-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

It sounds like you don't have a very good idea what you need. I'd suggest talking to a game server provider that offers both dedicated servers and game servers. They will be able to help you better understand your needs.

I'd suggest talking to Derek from XFactorServers, he's been around these parts for awhile and I'm sure he'll take good care of you.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 PM

the game im running isn't like other games its a online rpg multiplaying game ran off a server but without a dedi server people can recongnize my ip address and someone could do some damage to my pc with it if they wanted to other people that run these servers use dedicated servers for the ips they provide and ddos security other server owners jeliousim of better servers will ddos, so if i get dedi i can use dedi ip have the security for my server and my ip will be safely hidden, so was just wondering any good recommendations on a dedi within range 50-100 dollars a month with protection 100 percent uptime and already managed since i don't have any experience with the dedi servers, maybe this will give better understanding of what im looking for hope it does, thanks